• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers trade up to 9th pick of second round - select Devin Funchess

Montsta

It's 4th and goal from the 1. The Panthers line Benjamin up on the outside, Olsen and Funchess down as our 2 tight ends. Cam at QB, Tolbert and Stew in the backfield.

Tell me ladies and gentlemen, how do you stop that? If you thought we could Riverboat before...

Except Olsen is blocking because our line has holes.

That was not a good pick at all. He's not worth giving up another pick. He's not worth 2 for 1

IF he's even close to Jimmy Graham or Alshon Jeffery then yes he is. Gettleman hates trading picks...the fact that he did means something. We all know he is not a knee jerk reaction or panic move guy....he must love this kid ALOT. I'm sorry but I trust him over Kiper,McShay, and Mayock...all of whom hated us picking Cam and even our whole draft last year...which in hindsight was one of the best in the league. Just maybe DG knows his poo.

Here's to hoping so...cheers boys!

It's 4th and goal from the 1. The Panthers line Benjamin up on the outside, Olsen and Funchess down as our 2 tight ends. Cam at QB, Tolbert and Stew in the backfield.

Tell me ladies and gentlemen, how do you stop that? If you thought we could Riverboat before...

Only one that could stop that is Shula...

That was a lot to give up.

I think I miss non-reaching gettleman, lol.

I would've thought strong would come off the board before funchess did.

We apparently just don't see football the same. We still have the slowest receiving corps in the NFL. I just don't get it.

Big surprise your bitching again.

Jeffrey was dominant from the word go and is a hands catcher that flat shits on cbs anywhere on the field. And you think he played with a real QB?

Jeffreys was more polished coming to the NFL and one of the best attack the ball WR's

Funchess has the measurables to be better than Jeffreys in a few years

Funchess - 20 year old

6'5

38 ' vertical

34' arms

And big hands

But is extremely raw, if Funchess hits 30 catches + 5 Tds this year , I'll be impressed

Many don't do pro day 40's unless they screw up the ciombine.  Funchess did say he was up late doing interviews the night before, and was simply tired.  Don't know how true it is, but I am not sure if it matters all that much.  A 6-4 230lbs receiver who can run 4.5 can be a very effective weapon.  If nothing else, we could line him up at tight end sometimes with G.O. on the other side, along with Benjamin and Brown at the wideouts.  That could be a very effective 3rd down set.

Hopefully the 4.5 times are the more accurate reflection of his true speed.

I'll take people with actual football credentials criticizing these moves over some blind follower loyalists like most Gettleman supporters are.

Gettleman is so overrated among Panthers fans it's almost funny if weren't so damn sad.

People with actual football credentials get it wrong all the time.

A guy as measured and calculating as Gettleman would not have done such a trade without having alot of reasons to give up a 3rd round pick to move up and get a guy. Not like this shallow football conversation we are bickering about, conversations that have to do with schemes, uses and potential fit and growth.

Didn't you see how much grief he was getting for not selecting an OT? He doesn't just pick guys to get a guy, he picks guys that have the football character and make up to work for what they get in life. Those are the players that succeed in the tough game when you need them most i.e. The Playoffs.

I don't know why he picked Devin Funchess, but what history tells me about gettleman is that he will not pick guys that are just potential, they have to have tangible skills in the short term that will make them a starter and the upside to grow into a special player.

Devin Funchess is faster than his 40 time indicates. His game speed is impressive for his size, really.

Guy runs good routes, from all I've seen. Adjusts to the ball well. Catches the ball well in traffic. Is somewhat elusive, for his size. And then there is the fact of his size. Another 6'5" option for Cam. Philly and Ginn can take the top off the defense. Kelvin and Funchess can still get open deep with good route running and play design and offensive alignment.

How can anybody be mad about the pick? Gettleman made an aggressive move trading our third pick, but I wouldn't be surprised to see us trade back up into the third. Maybe late third, but it's still possible. Relax, people.

People with actual football credentials get it wrong all the time.

A guy as measured and calculating as Gettleman would not have done such a trade without having alot of reasons to give up a 3rd round pick to move up and get a guy. Not like this shallow football conversation we are bickering about, conversations that have to do with schemes, uses and potential fit and growth.

Didn't you see how much grief he was getting for not selecting an OT? He doesn't just pick guys to get a guy, he picks guys that have the football character and make up to work for what they get in life. Those are the players that succeed in the tough game when you need them most i.e. The Playoffs.

I don't know why he picked Devin Funchess, but what history tells me about gettleman is that he will not pick guys that are just potential, they have to have tangible skills in the short term that will make them a starter and the upside to grow into a special player.

Gettleman made the trade to keep the guy away from New Orleans and Atlanta, or at least I have to think so or else why did he make this trade.  This was totally out of character for him.

Archived