• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers trade up to 9th pick of second round - select Devin Funchess

Montsta

If you're an NFL GM you should be paying attention to *every* opinion you can get your hands on. How do people not understand that *other peoples opinions determine where players will be drafted*. If you have a guy rated as a #2 and everyone else says he's a #4...I'm not debating your assessment whatsoever, but if you take him in the 2nd, you're not a great drafter. Why not try to nab him in the 3rd and get a steal vs reach because he was your BPA.

Anyone who's done a Fantasy Draft knows the scenario. That one guy who is convinced Matt Ryan is going to be a stud this year...and drafts him at the top of the 2nd. When he probably could have gotten the same guy in the top of the 4th.

Look at that board again, and tell me how we couldn't have traded DOWN...giving up our 1st...gotten both Funchess and Shaq...and still kept our 3rd and 6th?

I like both guys and am a big DG fan. But he did not manage those picks well.

There's no way to know.

But, really? You're really sitting here talking about "draft experts" like Mel Kiper who NFL front office people openly mock and fantasy drafts?

Good lord...

Gettleman said he had funchess graded in the first round. That's all I need to know.

He's done a great job at scouting and drafting talent so far, but some of you still have to complain about what he does. Even if we win a super bowl, I can imagine people on here whining about who he picks in the following draft

I think they had Donavan Smith and Devin Smith, Preston Smith targeted and they all fell off. WR run happened after the Shaq pick toward the end of the first and Gettles felt the pressure and made the trade.

Too much value in the third to do this IMO but I do like Funchess better than a TJ Clemmings or a Jalen Strong.

What I wonder about is could we have picked a Dorsett-D Smith-Perriman(or one of these targeted guys) and traded up to get Shaq Thompson in the second?

Oh well you cant retro draft while your in the moment.

If you're an NFL GM you should be paying attention to *every* opinion you can get your hands on. How do people not understand that *other peoples opinions determine where players will be drafted*. If you have a guy rated as a #2 and everyone else says he's a #4...I'm not debating your assessment whatsoever, but if you take him in the 2nd, you're not a great drafter. Why not try to nab him in the 3rd and get a steal vs reach because he was your BPA.

Anyone who's done a Fantasy Draft knows the scenario. That one guy who is convinced Matt Ryan is going to be a stud this year...and drafts him at the top of the 2nd. When he probably could have gotten the same guy in the top of the 4th.

Look at that board again, and tell me how we couldn't have traded DOWN...giving up our 1st...gotten both Funchess and Shaq...and still kept our 3rd and 6th?

The thing is you're not the only guy playing the game, you got 31 other teams you have to consider as well.

You act as if it is a foregone conclusion that those players would have been available at our traded 2nd rounder and the 2nd rounder we get in the trade you propose.

It is simple in the draft there are no guarantees, you pick players that provide good value for your team and the schemes you run, not for some draft scout schmuk on TV. When a team puts their draft grades on players, they group them together by similar overall impact to their team so they know if they can trade down or if they need to move up to ensure they get good value.

Gettleman must have seen a drop off in talent looming, forcing him to trade up after he explicitly stated he wouldn't last night. 

If you're an NFL GM you should be paying attention to *every* opinion you can get your hands on. How do people not understand that *other peoples opinions determine where players will be drafted*. If you have a guy rated as a #2 and EVERYONE ELSE says he's a #4...I'm not debating your assessment whatsoever, but if you take him in the 2nd, you're not a great drafter. Why not try to nab him in the 3rd and get a steal vs reach because he was your BPA.

Who said that not one other Gm had him rated in the second round? Mel Kiper? How in the hell does anyone know what every other gm thinks about a player and his value? At some point a gm has to trust his instincts. That's why we pay them millions.

Here's a fun fact: There is someone that won't get drafted tomorrow that Gettleman will bup bup bup ...sign in a heartbeat and make an impact this season. 

With 5 more draft picks left plus our recent success for picking up quality talent in the UDFA market, hard not to see our team getting stronger this weekend! 

Said this in the draft thread, but I guess it's more appropriate here...

I fuging LOVE this pick.  Some of you can bitch about having two enormous receivers all you want.  This is awesome, if he pans out.  Makes me think of Jeffery/Marshall/Bennett combo...  none of which are speed guys, yet produce with no problems(except for their ass QB).  

Who's going to match up if we run a 2 TE set in the redzone with KB/DF/Olsen/Dickson?  Did people suddenly forget how good our offense looked between the 20's?  Really didn't have a ton of problems until we got in the redzone.  That was one of the biggest gripes, remember?  Settling for 3 points...  Well fug that, we just got huge! 

Here's the wildcard outlier.  What if, and that's a big what if I knowbut what if it finally clicks with Hill?  I might poo myself...

The huddle is angered as Panthers draft a defensive player in the first.

Naturally we draft a 6'5 receiver in the second and... the huddle is upset.

I understand Edmond kugbila has some people a little worried but he was not a second round pick. Other than him does anyone have any viable evidence we shouldn't trusty G-mans decision?

Archived