• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Russ Purnell named new Special Teams coach

Nick_81

It looks like he will fit right in on Ron's staff.

Jim Caldwell winning over Colts fans by canning Russ Purnell

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2009/1/15/724739/jim-caldwell-winning-over

"Caldwell has already won me over. I reserve judgment on how affective he is when it comes to winning, but as a person he has conveyed strength, intelligence, humor, and a willingness to be his own person. Caldwell is not Tony Dungy-lite. Caldwell is Caldwell, and nothing made that point stronger than his recent "firing" of long-time special teams coach Russ Purnell yesterday. Well, it wasn't really a firing, per say. Purnell's contract was up, and they just decided not to renew it. But, it certainly feels like a firing. Tip to jumunjis.

Yes folks, Russ Purnell is now finally gone. Permit me to sing a tribute to Russ's departure from West 56th Street:

I will give Purnell some credit for improving the Colts kick and punt coverage this season. DVOA ranked coverage near the top of the league, but I think that had more to do with Adam Vinatieri getting in great shape and booming his kickoffs. Also, adding Pierre Garcon, Buster Davis, and Marcus Howard to the mix helped. Throughout Purnell's tenure as special teams coach, the Colts always hovered between mediocre and awful despite the fact they drilled special teams play all the time. In training camp, there were entire practices in the afternoon dedicated to special teams. Yet, despite all the work, the unit marginally improved.

Most of us have been begging the Colts to fire Purnell for years, but the rumor out of Indy was that Dungy couldn't do it because of loyalty. Dungy never liked to fire coaches, especially coaches he was close to. But in Purnell's case it was loyalty to a fault. Unlike Dungy, Caldwell seems to have no problem dumping bad or ineffective coaches. Thus, Purnell is gone."

Petition to Fire Russ Purnell

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2007/11/14/11448/727

"Caldwell has already won me over. I reserve judgment on how affective he is when it comes to winning, but as a person he has conveyed strength, intelligence, humor, and a willingness to be his own person. Caldwell is not Tony Dungy-lite. Caldwell is Caldwell, and nothing made that point stronger than his recent "firing" of long-time special teams coach Russ Purnell yesterday. Well, it wasn't really a firing, per say. Purnell's contract was up, and they just decided not to renew it. But, it certainly feels like a firing. Tip to jumunjis.

Yes folks, Russ Purnell is now finally gone. Permit me to sing a tribute to Russ's departure from West 56th Street:

I will give Purnell some credit for improving the Colts kick and punt coverage this season. DVOA ranked coverage near the top of the league, but I think that had more to do with Adam Vinatieri getting in great shape and booming his kickoffs. Also, adding Pierre Garcon, Buster Davis, and Marcus Howard to the mix helped. Throughout Purnell's tenure as special teams coach, the Colts always hovered between mediocre and awful despite the fact they drilled special teams play all the time. In training camp, there were entire practices in the afternoon dedicated to special teams. Yet, despite all the work, the unit marginally improved.

Most of us have been begging the Colts to fire Purnell for years, but the rumor out of Indy was that Dungy couldn't do it because of loyalty. Dungy never liked to fire coaches, especially coaches he was close to. But in Purnell's case it was loyalty to a fault. Unlike Dungy, Caldwell seems to have no problem dumping bad or ineffective coaches. Thus, Purnell is gone."

sometimes timing is everything, hope this is one of those times.(see Bruce Arians)

lmaooo

Archived