• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam after 4 years

Kaep did a lot with his dual threat ability under Harbaugh. RW also uses it a bit. Even Luck can run it but he doesn't do it often so Cam is not unique in that sense. To me, I see QB who use it as poor passers who don't trust their arm. It's easy but it takes a toll on your development as a passer. See Kaep last season as well as Wilson (who is still not a good pocket passer).

I think you're looking at it wrong, in Cam's case.  Cam runs as a last resort.  There's been many different breakdowns on his game to show it.  He runs because he has to, not because he doesn't trust his arm.

Kaep did a lot with his dual threat ability under Harbaugh. RW also uses it a bit. Even Luck can run it but he doesn't do it often so Cam is not unique in that sense. To me, I see QB who use it as poor passers who don't trust their arm. It's easy but it takes a toll on your development as a passer. See Kaep last season as well as Wilson (who is still not a good pocket passer).

Maybe you're right. Maybe Cam isn't special. Maybe he's just an overweight version of Kaepernick like you say.

But I've been watching him play since he was at Westlake High School and I say he's different. VERY different. Watching Cam play the dual-threat game just looks different than those other guys to me. More DANGEROUS (to defenses, not to Cam).

Unique.

But maybe you're right. I'll only believe it when I see it though If anybody can geld that stallion, its Shula I guess.

Maybe you're right. Maybe Cam isn't special. Maybe he's just an overweight version of Kaepernick like you say.

But I've been watching him play since he was at Westlake High School and I say he's different. VERY different. Watching Cam play the dual-threat game just looks different than those other guys to me. More DANGEROUS (to defenses, not to Cam).

Unique.

But maybe you're right. I'll only believe it when I see it though If anybody can geld that stallion, its Shula I guess.

I was of the impression no one else on this site saw it that way.

I stand corrected. You sir have absolutely nailed it. Bravo.

I agree cam needs to develop more as a passer if we wanna see more longevity with him in the NFL.

But you are insane if you think that cam isn't unique or special as a runner compared to the other "running qbs" or dual threats.

What we've seen with cam running has never been done before at the qb position, ever.

I agree cam needs to develop more as a passer if we wanna see more longevity with him in the NFL.

But you are insane if you think that cam isn't unique or special as a runner compared to the other "running qbs" or dual threats.

What we've seen with cam running has never been done before at the qb position, ever.

and probably won't ever be done again in our lifetime.  Exactly what Tiger was saying about unique and one of a kind.

I think Oher will be a decent LT.  I also think RT will be average to good.  Our Guards will no longer be rookies.  The OL?  Better  WR?  Better.  RB?  Better.  Special teams?  Better. Defense?  Better.

The stars are aligned.  Cam's floor is good enough for this team to make the playoffs.  His ceiling is good enough to win the super bowl.  I hope this is his year.

Jim Kelly ran the no-huddle offense in Buffalo. He's still in the HOF,right?

If you have to run a gimmick offebse like the no huddle all of the time to look good in the passing game, that is not a good thing or ringing endorsement.

Pie for your efforts.

I would hope that at the very least, we could all agree, minus the few morons, that our franchise is lucky to have him.

As a resident of NC, like many others on this board I'm sure, you won't believe how many redneck Panther's fans I've ran into that truly believe DA is the better qb and should be the starter. Most of the time its because they believe Cam is too "dumb" to be a qb. So much ignorance. 

I really hope that Hill can step up. I hope that Phoehl got into his head and straightened him out.

Can you see a 3 WR set with KB Funch and Hill with Olsen at TE ... each WR bring something different one with speed .. one with middle speed in the slot and one that can use his body to get open.

just the thought of that make me want to cream 

Why would you restrict him to just one aspect of a dual-game he's the BEST at?

I'm of an age that I got to see Bo Jackson and Herschel Walker run the ball in college and after their college careers were over I knew there'd never be another two like them and I was right. They were UNIQUE.

Then I saw Bo play 2 major league professional sports at an All-Star level and I knew I'd never see the like again and I was right. He was ONE OF A KIND.

Well, I've seen another one in my 5+ decades on this earth and his name is Cam Newton. He's unique. He's one of a kind. A true dual threat able to attack a defense in more than "the way NFL QBs do it".

And you want to trot him out on the field every Sunday in a straight jacket. I find that incredibly sad.

Damn. Tiger is on fire

I agree with Tiger and the others about Cam being unique. A running QB is nothing new. Hell for the longest time the QB with the most rushing yards was Steve Young. And I've seen many QBs play in my 41 years (not as many as some and I certainly don't know as much as others). And I've never seen anyone like Cam. He's the only QB I've ever seen that can run like the best of them and not get seriously hurt.

Look at RGIII. Look at Steve Young. Cam has all the tools of a very good (maybe not elite but then again maybe) pocket QB AND he is the best running QB to ever play the game. Normally guys are one or the other. Vick was an amazing runner and the fastest back in the NFL (including running backs) and he had a laser arm. Accuracy? Not so much. Could he read a defense? Nope. Rodgers runs pretty well and so does Luck. But Cam is much better than they are at it. And yet he has all the traditional passing tools as well. If he explodes this year, which I think he will, then he leaps into elite status in my mind. And a season after that he will in everyone else's too.

I've had to eat crow so many times, but in 2011 I was against Cam Newton. I didn't want him to start and didn't think he would win, and I had what I felt were good reasons - that running QBs traditionally are not good, that one-hit wonders in college traditionally aren't good, and that read-option quarterbacks traditionally are not good. It took one game to change my mind - Arizona. He played better in that one game than I thought he ever could; as a pure passer, he looked excellent, and he almost never ran. I changed my mind right then and there, because my opinion was objectively wrong, right then and there, and it's a shame some other people haven't. Cam has had maybe the best first four years of any QB in league history, circumstances considered. We are privileged to witness such a special athlete.

Archived