• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Damiere Byrd Turning Heads

Jeremy Igo

Don't want to risk placing him on the PS and having him get Gaffney'd. I think rolling with 7 WRs isn't a bad thing, especially since it's so uncommon for us to do so. 

For me, it's shaking down like this:

Benji - no brainer

Brown - ideal slot guy and has enough skill to play a little WR2 if needed

Cotchery - great veteran presence that can be a reliable 3rd down WR

Funchess - too much potential with him to not see the field opposite KB

Ginn - prefer him on ST, but like the ability to contribute here and there on offense

Bersin - horrible on ST, but a true possession receiver that can move the chains and be a good, young WR4

Byrd - lots of potential here. can't teach speed and Byrd is full of it. ST contributor in '15 and maybe a few gadget plays on offense.

I really hope both Byrd and Ward can snag a spot on the final 53. 

• Pie 6

Its not hate on my part. Some people in here have a soft spot for him but I don't see him as valuable as Ginn, Brown, Benjamin, Funchess, or even Boykin. Nothing about Bersin pops out. He's just your typical relatable blue-collar guy fans root for. If Byrd is indeed turning heads, then he deserves the spot.

Nothing except the fact that he has the best hands on the team and is a fantastic 3rd down possession receiver.  But we know that everyone like flashy and speedy guys....which is why most wanting to cut Bersin are the same ones that have man crushes on Hill (who can't actually catch a cold).

• Pie 2

Then I don't know what to tell you.

Boykin has produced more and has experience. Deal with it.

Settle down there Sparky.

I'm not even arguing one is better than the other. But using one to poo on the other however is fairly pointless. Other than the 2013 season, Boykin hasn't exactly lit the NFL up either.

Look if you don't like the guy, cool, okay. You can type up as many arguments as you want to convince yourself that he isn't any good. But at the end of the day, he's a favorite target for our QB, who knows a thing or two about this more than us, so Bersin must be doing something right.

Edited by TheRed
  • Pie 2

Cotchery might get replaced next year, but I don't see it happening this season.  Bersin should be knocked down the depth chart this year for Byrd if the coaches are high on him.

Why? Bersin has played better so far. I know the dude struggled with PR last year but he was just thrown into the fire mid season. Cotchery is the only WR on the bubble that cant contribute to ST. 

Lemme guess, you felt the same about Corey Brown?

How'd that work out?

His sentiment is perfectly reasonable when Byrd hasn't seen any game action and has participated in a whole 3 practices in pads.  The coaches obviously see something and Byrd will get his shots in preseason, but to already declare him worthy of a spot on the 53 over guys who have actually played and produced in their roles in the NFL is silly.

I'd take him over Cotchery, Boykin, and even Bersin. But unfortuantely I'm not in charge.

I just hope he isn't another Taye Biddle that's going to tease us all camp. I'd rather have another Corey Brown. 

i wouldnt take him over Cotchery. and Byrd and Bersin are a push. but i would certainly take Byrd over Boykin. 

Is he a redundant Ginn?

yes. but there's no such thing as having too much speed. especially if those speedsters can actually catch footballs and get YAC

Its not hate on my part. Some people in here have a soft spot for him but I don't see him as valuable as Ginn, Brown, Benjamin, Funchess, or even Boykin. Nothing about Bersin pops out. He's just your typical relatable blue-collar guy fans root for. If Byrd is indeed turning heads, then he deserves the spot.

i think there is room for both Byrd and Bersin. and truthfully, i think it just depends on what kind of play the coaches are looking to put on the field. if they want the quick strike for 15 yards or the clutch reception on 3rd down. either receiver will add to this offense. i will trust whatever decision the coaches make come cut day.

We were really bad on special teams last year and I like the idea of having 2 or 3 guys who can return punts and kickoffs. 

Has he gotten any looks on special teams yet? 

yes. i have been to all but one practice and i have regularly seen him fielding kicks. havent seen him drop one yet. 

i see our receiving corps working out thus:

1) Benjamin

2) Funchess

3) Ginn

4) Brown

5) Bersin

6) Cotchery or Byrd. We have the vet in Ted Ginn. so this is a toss up. if the coaches decide to keep 7, then Byrd takes the #7 spot. He has produced more than Boykin. and Boykin will have to step on it for the rest of camp, and show out more than Byrd in preseason if Boykin wants to usurp Byrd.

Edited by UpstatePanther
  • Pie 3

Has he ever fielded punts or kicks before?  With that speed, if he has decent hands, I'd rather him be fielding punts should Ginn go down rather than Bersin. 

Bersin's potential IMO has been met...a #4-5 possession WR.  If Byrd has higher potential than that, gotta find a way to tap into it.