• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A Pair of 18-0 Teams In The Super Bowl

t96

Why doesn't Cam get more credit for that play, his eyes to the left side of the field was as much responsible for the blown coverage than anything. If we he would have stared down Greg he would have been covered.

cam has always been money throwing to the tight end up the seam. it's one of his best throws. yahoo has taken the stupid narrative and run with it... because they're yahoo

I get goosebumps thinking about the possibility of the 18-0 panthers defeating the 18-0 patriots to win the golden lombardi...poetic justice for having lost a super bowl to them 12 years earlier.

But let's be real here, that's a fairy tale.

No way New England goes 18-0 ;-)

Carolina would've lost at Seattle on Sunday if the "Legion of Boom" had covered Greg Olsen in the final minute. 

This annoys the spit out of me, because it completely ignores that we were down by 3, in field goal range, and marching on them almost at will.  Say Olsen is covered on that play--Whittaker is open for at least 10 yards down the sidelines.  If the Panthers are on the 20 with 25 seconds left and three plays to get it into the endzone, maybe they do and maybe they don't.  But a Gano field goal is almost certain.

Would have lost, my ass.  Lazy reporting.

Anybody can play the "if" game. The writer can only assume the Panthers would have lost if the Hawks secondary would have covered Olson that play. To many variables on that play (ie.   great catch by a covered Olson, Cam throws to another open reciever or back for 1st down or TD, or kick the game tying field goal and winning in OT.ect....

I can say with all certainty that Green Bay would have lost IF the Chargers who had up to this point,  torched  the Packers defense to a tune of almost 600 yds total, could have managed just 3 more yds in 4 chances.

Oh and IF SD either sent it to OT with successful PAT and finished them off in OT or had the game winning 2 pt conversion. See how this work? 

I can see where my scenario  of a Packers loss has a better chance at success than the Yahoo hacks. lol.

As we all know, there are currently 5 undefeated teams. 

• CAR
  • CIN
  • DEN
  • GB
  • NE

I'm trying to analyze the maximum number of teams that could remain undefeated at the end of the season.  For now let's make the unlikely assumption that none of the current undefeated teams loses to any non-undefeated team.

If my calculations are correct, by the end of the season there could be at MOST 3 undefeated teams remaining: 

Carolina, Cincinnati & New England  OR  GreenBay, Cincinnati & New England.

Because Denver has a killer schedule (playing GB, NE & CIN) any scenario in which Denver remains undefeated would mean that it is either Denver alone remaining undefeated, or Denver & Carolina (since Denver & Carolina do not play).

There are four scheduled matchups of the current undefeated teams:

• Week 8:  GreenBay at Denver
  • Week 9:  GreenBay at Carolina
  • Week 12:  New England at Denver
  • Week 16:  Cincinnati at Denver

A breakdown of the possible scenarios is below:

As of Nov 1:  there are guaranteed to be no more than 4 undefeated teams since in week 8 GB & DEN play one another.

Then of course there is our game against GB in week 9.  Assuming NE & CIN remain undefeated for the time being, at the end of week 9 there will be at most 3 or 4 undefeated teams. (obviously the number could be lower if an non-undefeated team knocks off one of the undefeated  teams).

Scenario for 4 remaining undefeated teams following week 9:

Scenario 1: If GB loses to DEN and loses to the Panthers,  Would leave CAR, DEN, NE, CIN as undefeated.

Scenarios for 3 remaining undefeated teams following week 9:

Scenario 2:  If GB loses to DEN and beats Panthers:   Would leave:  DEN, NE, CIN as undefeated.

Scenario 3:  If GB beats DEN and beats Panthers   Would leave:  GB, NE, CIN

Scenario 4:  If GB beats DEN and loses to Panthers:  Would leave CAR, NE CIN

The next match up of the current undefeateds is week 12, when Denver plays New England.   Again, making the unlikely assumption that none of the current undefeateds lose to any non-undefeated team.   At the end of week 12, there could be 2 - 3 undefeated teams remaining, I believe.

Scenario 5:  New England wins

• 5.1:  If scenario 1 played out in weeks 8 & 9: we could have 3 undefeated teams:  CAR, NE, CIN
  • 5.2:  under scenario 2, we could have 2 undefeated teams:  NE & CIN
  • 5.3:  under scenario 3, we could still have 3 undefeated teams:  GB, NE, CIN
  • 5.4   under scenario 4 we could still have CAR, NE, CIN undefeated.

Scenario 6:  Denver wins

• 6.1:  under scenario 1:  we could have 3 undefeateds: CAR, DEN, CIN
  • 6.2:  under scenario 2:  we could have 2 undefeateds: DEN, CIN
  • 6.3:  under scenario 3:  we could have 2 undefeateds: GB, CIN  (Denver having lost earlier)
  • 6.4:  under scenario 4:  we could have 2 undefeateds: CAR, CIN  (Denver having lost earlier)

WEEK 16:  The FINAL matchup of the currently undefeated teams is week 16, when Cincinnati and Denver play.

Scenario 7:  CIncinnati wins

• 7.5.1:  CAR, NE, CIN
  • 7.5.2:  NE & CIN
  • 7.5.3:  GB, NE, CIN
  • 7.5.4   CAR, NE, CIN
  • 7.6.1:  CAR, CIN
  • 7.6.2:  CIN
  • 7.6.3:  GB, CIN
  • 7.6.4:  CAR, CIN 

Scenario 8:  Denver Wins

• 8.5.1:  CAR, NE
  • 8.5.2:  NE
  • 8.5.3:  GB, NE
  • 8.5.4   CAR, NE
  • 8.6.1:  CAR, DEN
  • 8.6.2:  DEN
  • 8.6.3:  GB
  • 8.6.4:  CAR

So: assuming all undefeated teams beat all their other opponents except other undefeated teams, we could be left with a maximum of 3 undefeated teams:  CAR, NE, CIN or GB, NE, CIN

Denver has the toughest schedule, having to play Green Bay, New England & Cincinnati.  Therefore, Denver has the least chance of remaining undefeated.  Remaining undefeated in only 2/16 scenarios.

Green Bay has the next toughest schedule, having to play Denver & Carolina.  Therefore, Green Bay could remain undefeated in 4 of 16 scenarios.

Carolina, Cincinnati and New England each only have one matchup with another undefeated team.  Therefore each of these teams has a higher possibility of remaining undefeated - each team has a 50% chance to remain undefeated (if they don't lose to any other non-undefeated opponent).

Yahoo consistently displays this kind if ineptitude in anything they cover. That right there may just be the dumbest line I've ever heard in anything resembling an 'expert opinion'

It's nothing but a way to discredit us and avoid the reality of what happened by proposing something that cannot be determined. Awful, biased journalism. Yahoo sports had always had an obsession with the big markets though so I'm not surprised that their jimmies rustled watching their beloved seahawks lose to the Panthers at home.

Archived