• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I bought low on the Panthers in 2011 and it has paid off big time

PanthersUnited

I know most on here are seasoned veteran fans that have been following this team for years and years, me, I started following this team in 2011.. I guess you could say I am the complete opposite of a bandwagon fan, I bought in on this team in 2011 when we came off a 2-14 season, we where completely rebuilding with a new HC and first overall pick.

Dont get me wrong, while I never really watched football on a regular basis, I always caught a game or two here and there and I NEVER was a fan of any other team. 

But I don't know why or what but something in 2011 made me click and want to follow this team. Most bandwagon fans jump on the bandwagon when a team is winning and having success.

I did the complete opposite. When I heard the Panthers got the first overall pick, it really intrigued me and piqued my interest. One night in 2011, months before the draft  I was watching Jay Leno and coming off winning a heisman trophy, Cam Newton was a guest on Jay Leno.. (I remember that show like it was yesterday because Bill Maher was also a guest that night and I will never forget the face Bill Maher made when Cam told Jay he wanted to thank God first and foremost)

Now I am embarrassed to admit this but I didn't even know at the time the Panthers had the 1st pick until Jay Leno asked Cam "So whatcha thinking, going first overall to the Carolina Panthers?" It was that moment I started to avidly follow this team.

Many of you might remember, Cam Newton released a private workout video of him and George Whitfield leading up to the draft and just seeing how he threw, his composure, his poise. I knew in my heart of hearts we had to draft this guy and we WOULD draft this guy. Back then I was a member and poster over at an inferior site, I was the ONLY one that said I was so sure about Cam Newton I would even draft him over Luck even if Luck was avaliable, boy did I get bashed big time for that statement but I really and truly felt that. I KNEW Cam was going to be a superstar and I would have been heart broken if we didn't draft him.. 

Since 2011 I have been through the highs and lows of this team.. The heartbreaking Seattle losses, the Kansas City game, all the close losses. The botched FG call against the Saints in Rivera's first year and LASTLY the devastating Falcons loss in 2012 or aka "Nakamuragate" 

The bottom line is, I knew in 2011 with both Rivera and Cam that this team was destined for greatness and I bought low and now it's paying great dividends!

Archived