• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So what about Antonio Gates

Snake

14 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

too old , and Olsen isn't exactly a spring chicken anymore either

Yeah....Olsen will be going into next season at 31.  Wonder how many good years he has left in him without injury?  Tony Gonzalez was what, 37 or so when he retired...I can't remember.  Weird that Gates is only 35 and had a pretty good season in 2014.  I think he had like 800-900 yards and 10+ ish TD's.....heck I can't remember.  This year SD pretty much sucked and might be why he had a down year ( and age ).  I am hoping without injury we are able to get another 4-5 good years out of Olsen but we probably need to start thinking about his replacement in a season or two.  

I'll pass on Gates.  If some big, athletic, raw TE prospect is sitting there in the 3rd round, that's cool.  Or if there's a bit player with some tools as a FA, that's cool.  On one hand, I wouldn't mind adding another young TE to get coached up.  Competition is the best thing for any team.

It would be cool to find a TE who can catch, do some blocking, and is an upgrade over Dickson.  We can all kind of fantasize about two athletic TEs, KB and Funchess in a line up....  Just have to call the plays!

As someone who watched Gates closely this year (Fantasy Football), he looked incredibly slow and seemed to be playing through a lot of pain.  He only played about 30-40% of their offensive snaps, after he served his suspension.  He lost a lot of playing time to the younger, more athletic Ladarius Green.  

I'm really not even understanding this thread/question....we already have a top 3 pass catching TE, so why junk up the roster spots with a very limited situational TE, that is about five years past his prime?

Archived