• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It's Been a Slow Free Agency For Us...Or Has It?

SetfreexX

To me this is the quietest off-season in a while…or am I just so far removed from last off-season that I’ve forgotten this is our pace? I feel like in the past two seasons, the news came a little faster than what we’re working with right now.

Or could it be that since we returned Jansen, Webb, Johnson, Tolbert, and Remmers, along with Benjamin, and Hill returning from IR, along with the franchise tag on Norman, and the recent signing of Paul Soliai & Gradkowski could it just be that we have less holes to fill prior to the draft this off-season?

Position Depth-

QB-Newton / Anderson / Webb

HB-Stewart / Whittaker / Payne / Wegher

FB-Tolbert

WR-Benjamin / Funchess / Ginn / Hill / Brown / Bersin / Byrd?

TE-Olsen / Dickson / Simonsen

OL-Oher / Focault / Norwell / Gradkowski / Kalil / Turner / Remmers / Williams / Chris Scott

DE-Johnson / Ealy / Addison / Delaire

DT-Short / Lotulelei / Soliai

LB-Kuechly / Davis / Thompson / Klein / Mayo / Jacobs

DB-Norman / Benwikere / McClain / Dowling / Young

S-Coleman / Boston / Jones / Marlowe

K-Gano

P-Swayze

So I mean quite honestly looking at that list the only positions that may need to be addressed via depth in free agency don’t seem to pressing. I think we’d all like to see veteran presence at:

WR / DE / DB or S

And with I believe six draft picks this year will we stand pat or move a day 2 or 3 draft pick to acquire better talent in an early round given the perceived amount of depth / talent at each respective position already.

I don't think it's been slower.  We've signed quite a few people thus far, it's just that most of them have been our own.  It doesn't generate the "noise" that being active in free agency does, but it's a very good situation to be in.

I'm sure there are a number of PS players I failed to mention as some names escaped me at the time of posting. And I've paid very close attention since before G-man took over to that one poster questioning. 

I clearly said it could just be that we have fewer holes, to fill, or it could just be that we're still waiting on the 3rd week.

Just this free-agency aka the bringing in of new players seems slower than the previous two years. 

Edit*

Did some research, we signed -

Ted Ginn signed March 21st 2013, then March 9th 2015

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Ginn,_Jr.

Roman Harper on March 15th, 2014

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Harper

Jerricho Cotchery on March 20th, 2014

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000335673/article/jerricho-cotchery-signs-carolina-panthers-contract

Considering today is the 17th we are seeming well inside the time we've brought in free agents over the past couple of years. Hoping for a few more signings in the mean time, I just hate this time of year for the NFL...

Splash moves are for teams with glaring needs, general managers on the hotseat, and dumpster fire franchises.

We're really not any of those. We're more likely to see a good player poached from the team than for us to pick up a star.

Sit back and rest assured we're in good hands. Just enjoy watching the spectacle of other teams competing to win the off-season Lombardi.

We need another 3 tech, but we might go for that in the draft or later in FA post cuts. Doesn't need to be starting caliber.

I hope we don't go after anymore "veteran leaders." I want youth and speed. Our young core is veteran status now. We don't need any more fossils as Ron seems to favor them a bit too much. Cam and Luke are vets now. Between them, CJ, TD, Ginn, Khalil, Stewart etc. I don't want to see any aging vet signings for the sake of mentoring. We got it covered.

Archived