• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rams trade to Number 1

jdpanther5

28 minutes ago, davos said:

The deal is, they just invested a ton in both Dunlap and Barksdale.  I see Ramsey back there to fill a certain void. 

Dunlap is 30 with a relatively cheap contract they can dump next year and Barksdale is on a really cheap contract. Dunlap also has problems staying healthy. They have Mack, Miller and Houston in their division. I'm taking Tunsil if I'm the Chargers.

This is interesting.  I never really thought about it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/14/rams-could-sign-top-pick-right-now/

Snippet:

The new labor deal makes it much easier to negotiate rookie contracts. And the first pick in the draft can still be signed to a contract before the draft.

So the Rams, who now have the first overall pick in the draft and reportedly want quarterback Carson Wentz, can eliminate and any all confusion and uncertainty by signing Wentz to a contract right now.

The NFL probably would not be thrilled by the move, even though the league office has confirmed that the rule remains in place. It would remove any and all uncertainty from the process, and it would undermine the ultimate reality show’s ultimate offseason reality show.

That's actually a bit less than I tbought a trade like that would take. You're only really losing one first round pick, and massively upgrading the value of the one you have. Sure you lost out on some 2nd rounders, but now if somebody you just have to have falls, they also some ammo to move back up and in with a bit.

Props to the rams for going out and getting their guy. Now they have to focus on developing him properly 

20 minutes ago, O-Ther said:

Just saying they have to take a chance on a new QB, cause if they're going to hope that Keenum and Foles with keep the attention of the L.A. fans, they'll be on the move again in 5 years. The Rams are probably still are working with Greg Robinson to make him a better OT. Their defense did lose some pieces, but they still have some good ones with Donald, Quinn, Hayes, Ogletree, Barron, and Trumaine Johnson.

They have hope at OT and the defense. Not so much at QB

I get the rationale. I just question the quality of the QBs they're targeting.

1 hour ago, pstall said:

Rams going for Wentz?

No doubt in my mind he's the guy they want. They obviously feel the need to have their QB of the future on the team this year, whether he can play in year one or not. Might work out for 'em, but it's definitely a good deal for the Titans. They now have lots of options. Depending on how the draft unfolds, they can still get a top 10 guy by trading back up.

23 minutes ago, Bartin said:

Dunlap is 30 with a relatively cheap contract they can dump next year and Barksdale is on a really cheap contract. Dunlap also has problems staying healthy. They have Mack, Miller and Houston in their division. I'm taking Tunsil if I'm the Chargers.

Agreed, King can be cut next year if needed, and Rivers can't move at all.  I'm taking the best player in the draft if possible...and that's Tunsil.

37 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I get the rationale. I just question the quality of the QBs they're targeting.

Of all the 32 teams in the NFL, who are the Carolina Panthers to judge Goff and Wentz? We took a QB 5 years ago who had 1 year of starting experience at a top level college, in an unconventional offense tailor-made for him that didn't resemble anything in the NFL at the time, had bounced around 3 teams in 4 years, had the laptop and alleged payoff scandals, and the most fake smile in the history of ever.

Don't get it twisted, I'm not carrying the water of the Rams, just saying remember history. Granted, we didn't trade up for Ace Boogie, but he also had more warts than either Goff or Wentz does now.

Archived