• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Miller: Panthers have done "heavy work" on Michael Thomas

jdpanther5

I know, I know, Bleacher Report. But I'm much more interested in the idea presented than the source. Miller had a brief post on each team in the league, and for the Panthers he mentioned a guy we haven't been linked to...at all? 

"Carolina Panthers: The Panthers have been linked to pass-rushers throughout the draft process, but sources in the scouting room expect a defensive back to get the most attention in Round 1. I'm told by coaching staff sources in Carolina that the team has done heavy work on Ohio State wide receiver Michael Thomas; he may be a surprise Round 1 pick."

Gotta say, "coaching staff sources" is a new one to me. Thomas has often been "the other guy" when it comes to the top receivers in the draft. Doctson and Treadwell are the big, possession types; Fuller and Coleman the speedsters; and Shepard the superior route runner. But Thomas offers an intriguing combination of size (6'3"), solid speed (4.57), production, and bloodlines.

Personally I don't think we take a receiver first, but I do wonder if we'll try to trade-up to grab a guy like Shepard or Thomas earlier in the 2nd.

Matt Miller actually has a good track record but I do expect some B/R quips.  Being this close to the draft however, there will be a lot of reported "interest" thrown around.  I'd even take the good intel guys with a grain of salt. 

1st round? Not a chance.  Potentially the 2nd.  More like 3rd.  The guy absolutely disappears way too often.  In over half of his games last year he had 4 or fewer catches.  Only 2 100 yard games.  Never caught more than 7 passes.  No multiple TD games.  In their one loss to MSU - the biggest game of the season for them - the one loss that kept them out of the Big 10 championship game and the college playoff - he had 2 catches for 8 yards.

I ultimately trust Gettleman, but if he's the pick at #30 I'll be seriously concerned that the Gman just picked his first 1st round bust.

48 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

1st round? Not a chance.  Potentially the 2nd.  More like 3rd.  The guy absolutely disappears way too often.  In over half of his games last year he had 4 or fewer catches.  Only 2 100 yard games.  Never caught more than 7 passes.  No multiple TD games.  In their one loss to MSU - the biggest game of the season for them - the one loss that kept them out of the Big 10 championship game and the college playoff - he had 2 catches for 8 yards.

I ultimately trust Gettleman, but if he's the pick at #30 I'll be seriously concerned that the Gman just picked his first 1st round bust.

Sounds like a Philly replica, except Philly didn't have a single one hundred yards game the entire regular season.

Miller consistently has had panthers draft news this offseason (workout news/reactions, etc). He likely has at least one legitimate panthers contact. That person may not be setting the board, but he isn't making it up.

I'd argue he is one of the best draft analysts as well. BR gets a bad rep but has dramatically improved over to pat few years ( Howard beck for nba , etc)

Miller got zero predictions correct for our last draft. He had us taking D.J Humphries in the 1st. Things are so boring this time of year that you have to make bold predictions to draw attention to your articles. If you took all the incorrect draft prediction articles about the Panthers, printed them out, and burned them you could destroy all of Charlotte. 

I've been correct 3 times about who the Panthers would take in the 1st round. That includes Peppers and Cam, so you have an idea of how hard it is to make a prediction even when you follow the team year round.

Archived