• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rookie Camp Recap: Ron's thoughts on DE's

Saca312

Ron Rivera offered his thoughts on the DE situation after rookie camp:

On Defensive ends: "We feel good about the defensive end spot. There is no reason not to. If you go back and look at some of the games we played, we played a couple of games without our two veteran defensive ends out there and still won those football games. We had our young guys out there, and they played well for us. We had a game where we had (Ryan) Delaire, (Wes) Horton, Mario (Addison) and Kony (Ealy) -those were our four ends and we won that game, had four sacks in that game. We feel that we can be productive with whatever combination we put out there, and we look forward to having the whole unit out on the field working together once we get to the OTA minicamp phases.

"A couple of years ago we didn't have proven young guys. Kony had not proven he was capable; Mario was just developing into who he is now. Wes was a young guy learning and growing as well. The only constant we had was Charles (Johnson)."

I thought this was a nice tid-bit from Ron. He basically reaffirmed that our DE's are growing and developing. He gave me confidence that these guys will be fine and ball out next season. I think we should trust in the DE's we have and keep a lookout for a breakout player next year. 

The rest of the article was also pretty interesting, if you haven't seen it already. Basically recapping rookie camp and what he saw there.

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Rivera-recaps-conclusion-of-rookie-minicamp/f45102cf-c170-465e-8e69-b2ae74c71e92

34 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

To be honest. I  am not a Wes Horton fan.  Why is Ron talking like he is an effective veteran now?  Did I miss something?  Was Horton his ride home?  I don't get it.

Ron has "his guys", that much has been proven since his first year here.  Some guys get free passes for life, some get into a "dog house" and have to claw their way out no matter how much better they are.  It's Ron's greatest flaw as a coach and it annoys the poo out of me.  Horton is the worst example of it, and Addison is a lesser one. 

1 hour ago, pantherphan96 said:

Horton does well against the run. Addison is probably the best situational pass-rush DE in the league. Can count on him for 5-6 sacks a year. Hope to see Ealy improve even more in year 3.

Don't be surprised if we extend Addison soon. He's in his last year and he's only 28 years old.

1 hour ago, pantherphan96 said:

Horton does well against the run. Addison is probably the best situational pass-rush DE in the league. Can count on him for 5-6 sacks a year. Hope to see Ealy improve even more in year 3.

Let's relax on Addison.....

Kony should step up for 10 sacks.

We are probably going to rely on our interior pressure to help our DE's this season.

1 hour ago, PantherKyle said:

Let's relax on Addison.....

Kony should step up for 10 sacks.

We are probably going to rely on our interior pressure to help our DE's this season.

Addison has had 6 sacks in back to back seasons. Obviously he isn't big enough to be an every down DE but I think its fair to say that he is one of the best situational pass rushers in the NFL. How many guys who don't start can put up a half dozen sacks year in and year out?

Archived