• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFF: Top 10 Worst Offseason Moves: Guess Who Made it Twice

Saca312

Yep. The Failcons made the list twice. But hey, it's the Failcons we're talking about after all. Anyhow, this was something I stumbled upon. Enjoy this little list. The Sea Chickens and Sucs make it as well.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-10-worst-moves-of-the-2016-offseason/

3. Falcons signing WR Mohamed Sanu to a five-year, $32.5 million contract

The Falcons have needed a good alternative target to Julio Jones for awhile, and they seem to expect Mohamed Sanu to be that guy on the basis of the contract they handed him in free agency. However, it’s a little difficult to understand why. Over his career in Cincinnati, at least two of his five best plays are passes he threw, which is not an ideal thing to boast about your wide receiver.

The Bengals were in an identical situation over the past few years of needing to find that second receiver to take pressure off A.J. Green, and gave ample opportunity to Sanu to prove he could be that guy. He responded with three straight seasons of negative grades and 22 dropped passes over that span, with just seven touchdowns from 232 targets.

8. Falcons drafting Keanu Neal in the first round

The NFL struggles to evaluate safeties at times. There are so many plays—particularly in college—where they are just ornamental pieces of the defense and occupy space that is never affected on the play. It can become difficult to evaluate their play soundly, and that leads to people fixating on a few highlight-reel plays they make over a season, focusing in on the “can do” aspects of their play, rather than the “how often.”

Keanu Neal has multiple bone-crushing hits on his Florida tape, and his highlight reel would get anybody excited, but those plays are not indicative of his overall production, and over two seasons of PFF grading, he has never been better than average across an entire year. This past season alone, he may have made several big-impact hits, but they came at the cost of missing 16 tackles, and 43 other safeties made more defensive stops than the new Falcon.

4 minutes ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

i saw this earlier and was surprised rescinding josh norman's tag wasn't on there

Aside from #7 and #10 the other choices are paying someone too much or a bad draft pick. 7 and 10 don't seem to have any upside in their opinion. I do think there's an upside to not paying a CB (especially when he's pushing 29) top money when you're using the Panthers D, and you could even argue an upside to not having him around this year, as far as a distraction with the 'will he or won't he?' aspect. I'm not saying the Josh move wasn't considered by them, but that's my guess as to why he didn't make the top 10.

The Sanu point is legit, not that over drafting Neal isn't. He had every opportunity in Cincy to succeed, but basically summed up to a C-grade receiver. I bet you Keyarris Garrett has more upside.

The Falcons will be railing much like the Saints are now in a couple of years.Honestly, I think that the Bucs will prove to be the better long term, if not short term, bet.

My favorite is the seahawks drafting for Ifedi. This is the very definition of reaching because of a need at a certain position in lieu of drafting the BPA. G-man has proven again and again that he's not going to reach for a second (or third) round tackle at the bottom of the first, which is what the hawks did. Did we need a long term solution at LT, absolutely! But Gettleman got us a player that will contribute huge from day 1, even if we were already set at that position. I can't wait until Dec 4th, when our first rounder blows past their first rounder repeatedly to flush Wilson from the pocket!

Archived