• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Ranked Most Impressive Player of Week 1

fieryprophet

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2663202-nfl1000-ranking-the-top-1000-players-from-week-1/page/3

The beating Newton took in Week 1 only served to overshadow the quality of his performance. The 2015 MVP was the most impressive player in Week 1 because of how he reacted to the pressure that Wade Phillips' pass rush generated. Newton just held off Jameis Winston and

Aaron Rodgers.

His stats weren't particularly impressive but anyone that knows football (and doesn't have an agenda) and watched the game knows Cam's performance only added to his legend. The only other QB to gut out a dirty game like that even close to how Cam did it was Favre in the NFCC game a few years ago. 

The amount of respect Cam has earned from the last game alone is staggering. He's really changed minds with how he's behaved and how he played in-game, leading us to the position to win. Gano didn't have to make that kick for him to prove he's the toughest MOFO in the NFL

Gregg Rosenthal on nfl.com had similar praise, ranking Cam No. 1 at QB:

For years, we heard that "college offenses" can't work in the NFL because they expose quarterbacks to unnecessary punishment. Then Cameron Jerrell Newton came along. The Panthers built their offense in part around Newton's ability to take and deliver hits. Coordinator Mike Shula was still calling power runs for Newton in the season opener after the reigning MVP was shaken up from hits to his ankle and head. You can question the long-term efficacy of this strategy, but it's working quite well in the present. Newton and Shula have grown up together and this is Newton's offense more than ever.

Watching Cam's underrated performance against the Broncos on the NFL Game Pass Coaches Film, I started to wonder if Newton could possibly improve on his MVP season. He played a mature game, making almost no mental errors. His accuracy from last season remained. After a near-perfect first half, Newton overcame a total collapse in pass protection to position the Panthers for victory. It's almost taken for granted by now that one man could be the axis of the passing game and the running game at the same time. Not in this file: Cam jumps from No. 2 in last week's edition into the top spot. The revolution will be televised again, this Sunday afternoon against the 49ers.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000702350/article/qb-index-andy-dalton-hits-top-10-cam-newton-at-no-1

And this from Black and Blue Review:

The more I watch this play, the more it becomes one of the more impressive plays I've seen Cam make, and that's saying something.

19 minutes ago, Cary Kollins said:

Gregg Rosenthal on nfl.com had similar praise, ranking Cam No. 1 at QB:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000702350/article/qb-index-andy-dalton-hits-top-10-cam-newton-at-no-1

And this from Black and Blue Review:

The more I watch this play, the more it becomes one of the more impressive plays I've seen Cam make, and that's saying something.

Ok why did Shula not keep Stewart as a blocker in the 2nd half

And 3rd downs, they're susceptible to screens. If we had a screen on Ware side on that 1st 2nd half gif, Ware would have seriously fuged up

1 hour ago, JawnyBlaze said:

His stats weren't particularly impressive but anyone that knows football (and doesn't have an agenda) and watched the game knows Cam's performance only added to his legend. The only other QB to gut out a dirty game like that even close to how Cam did it was Favre in the NFCC game a few years ago. 

Yeah but Favre never put his team in a position to win it.

You know......with the way the nfl has problems officiating games when cam is playing you would think they have NEVER  seen a player like him......

Yeah I remember when Cam said that HIMSELF and caught heat for that.  I love that fact that he is so much smarter than everyone that hates him. 

They have the worst fans and I despise their team, but the Broncos have one hell of a defense. Glad we got the best defense out of the way in the first game. Probably the three best defenses we play all year will be the first three games. Our division is a joke.

Archived