• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Five Takeaways from the Panthers vs Rams

Saca312

The Panthers survived a very ferocious defensive battle against the LA Rams. Running game for both teams was non-existent for the most part, and pressure was constant.  Both offenses struggled against strong fronts, and it showed in the sack numbers. Panthers offensive line definitely missed the presence of Kalil and Oher today, as both backups were abused, more specifically Remmers.

However, amid some mistakes and chaos on both sides, there were some good, and bad things one could take away from the game. Here's 5 things I saw that I think affected the game.

1. Cam Newton Inaccurate Under Pressure

Image result for cam newton angry

Would love to see @KB_fan analyze the stats for this, but he's been pressured A LOT this game. The Rams brought out a bag full of blitz', and brought the heat on Cam. Cam threw a lot of inaccurate passes that even the commentators noted.

However, this isn't exactly new. Last year, his QB passer rating dropped by 53 points under pressure. His accuracy drastically drops when he has defensive players gnawing at his face.

He's an MVP caliber player with time in the pocket, which he got a lot of, but when defenses bring the heat, he regresses. 

With a healthy OLine, I can see Cam getting some more time in the pocket, and not worry about such powerful defenses. His home stretch pretty much only have Seattle as a decently tough defense to smash against, but don't expect the offense to have such a lackluster performance for future weeks.

(He also slid a lot more than normal, and that's most likely because of the pressure of how tough and rough this defense was. Smart move, but very uncharacteristic of Cam. I honestly think he's changed mentally this season. No longer a more carefree, fun-character, but a hard, cold character ready to unleash hell on the NFL. Idk just an observation.)

2. Our OLine Can't Survive with Remmers Starting

635901065172690471-USATSI-8852145.jpg

I'm sorry, but when your DT who's able to bring down an OT and QB at the same time, while basically sliding them on skates across the field, you know there's a problem.

Remmers, bless his heart, is NOT a starting caliber OT. And he sure as heck isn't a solid backup at LT either.

Daryl Williams, aside one mistake today, has been consistently solid at RT. However, LT was a disaster. Remmers was constantly beat, abused, and messed with. He looked like his former self in the Superbowl, a turnstile. 

Goodness how the heck do you let Aaron Donald push you down the field and slam you right into Cam at the same time? Like heck that DT is good, but he shouldn't look THAT good.

We need Oher back, and we need Kalil back. The backup center was decent, but he obviously isn't Kalil level pro. Keep Daryl at RT, and Oher at LT, and we should be solid for the most part down the stretch.

3. Rookie CBs Solid, Aside Rookie Mistakes

Image result for james bradberry and daryl worley

I don't know about you, but I liked seeing how our rookie CBs perform. For the most part, they aren't that bad, besides tackling ability for some plays.

Johnson made a few bad plays, granted, but otherwise he's not half bad. Daryl and Bradberry have a high ceiling, and they both performed great today. Aside that one miscue that only a rookie would make that (thankfully) was overthrown by Case Keenum, they performed great and showed up. 

Of course, our safeties underperformed, and we desperately need a vet presence there imo. A Roman Harper type player is necessary, in order to keep our secondary intact, in my opinion, but I think we can survive if no moves are made.

As time goes on, expect them to give less cushion to WRs, and start trusting their instincts more. James Bradberry has a HUGE upside, and Daryl Worley is showing his worth. 

Expect a solid secondary soon when these CBs come to form.

4. Short Passes/Slants Work 

usatsi_94240371.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Mike Shula phoned Stephen Hawkings, John Madden, and his Panther obsessed neighbor, who all stated that slants, short passes, and such WORK against the pass rush. He grabs his crayons, draws a tree, then decides to take their ideas

And what do you know? He tries it on some plays, and it worked!

Such a beauty to see our big and tall receivers bully CBs as they snag those short passes that slice up a defense and gets the first downs. Just imagine if we tried that in the Superbowl. We might've won!

Shula decided to drop his Crayola Magic Markers that he uses for long, developing plays and shows that he can indeed come up with some NFL caliber plays sometimes.

Of course, Shula repetitively Shulas here and there, but there's always hope when you see stuff like this. 

5. Our Defensive Front is BACK

Tom+Brady+Mario+Addison+New+England+Patriots+7j92YaVdTQel.jpg

Mario Addison completely goes off, smacks down a few balls here and there, and sacks the QB quite a bit.

In fact, our D-Line looked like last years yet again, with how much pressure was brought to the Rams. Granted, their O-Line is basically swiss cheese, but encouraging to see considering how poo our front looked against inferior Olines in the Vikings and Saints.

Not only that, but they really did keep Gurley as a non factor for the most part, aside a few bursts. And considering this was after a BYE where the Rams had 2 WEEKS to prepare, this was encouraging,

I personally think this front will keep up it's ferocious performance throughout the season, and show why it's one of the best in the NFL.

---

Honestly, there's so much upside to this team. We've faced one of the two tougher defenses we have left in the last stretch of this season, and I think this really gives us hope that we'll win it out for the rest of the season. Even though the stats don't show, we honestly have a very talented team. With everyone healthy soon, we should be one of the biggest NFC threats as we come out pounding through the rest of the season. 

Love the post!!!

I accepted and thought it would happen but the push the Rams D line had off the line was not normal for Cam.. at least 2 feet as soon as he snapped the ball.. Stiff throwing sometimes. Does he still toss the ball on the side before each drive like he did last year? Have to give props to Gino, he is a solid back up. Still seems Shula is naive about game planning around a stout D line.. nothing much was different. Stewart took a beating.

11 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I saw the Remmers play, but don't forget Donald may be the best DT in the game. On his second sack, he blew up Norwell almost identically as he did to Remmers. It wasn't just Remmers, that was all Donald.

Good point, however I noticed it was consistent with how much he's beat. He needs help in order to be a factor. That's an achille's heel for this oline. I think Daryl holds well on his own, and Oher does as well. That will definitely help a lot.

Remmers is a third string on any other team...

Remember that our rookies we're going against Case Keenum, not Brees or Ryan

Remember that our front 7 was going against Case Keenum, not Brees or Ryan

The refs STILL think defenses should be allowed to use Cam as a battering ram...

57 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I saw the Remmers play, but don't forget Donald may be the best DT in the game. On his second sack, he blew up Norwell almost identically as he did to Remmers. It wasn't just Remmers, that was all Donald.

Honestly, I think if Cam was more accurate, that would have helped with the pass rush. When Cam is hurting himself, I think the DC turns up the pressure and worries less about the coverage. If Cam was more accurate, the DC just can't keep leaving WRs/TEs in man to man. We had a ton of open receivers and missed a ton of chances. An accurate game by Cam and we get less pressure and that game would have been over in the 3rd.

Right now I think Cam is more worried about hits in the pocket. I suggest more roll outs maybe..knowing your center is out and Remmers still at LT has to be affecting him..hell it would affect me...So yes he will be inaccurate but as long as there no turn overs and we win think of it as a blessing instead of complaining..Every play now behind the suspect line and knowing people are out specifically to end your season along with refs is affecting Cam give him some type of credit.

Archived