• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Leonard Johnson & Cam Newton bonded through cooking

truthjuice

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Leonard Johnsonlived in a hotel for two months this summer and was homesick -- not so much for friends and family but for a place to cook.

Outside of football, working in front of a hot stove is his biggest passion.

So the defensive back, who signed a one-year contract to join the Panthers in July after stints with Tampa Bay and New England, began asking teammates if he could come to their homes and prepare a meal. Some took him seriously, some didn’t.

Then he approached Cam Newton.

Johnson had never really spoken to the reigning NFL MVP. He had been more of a fan from afar, not much different than those in the stands who admire the amazing things the 6-foot-5, 260-pound quarterback does.

To Johnson’s surprise, Newton invited him to his uptown home. Newton even had his assistant buy everything needed for the meal.

Then Newton, who unbeknown to Johnson was a pescatarian (a person who does not eat meat but does eat fish), sampled the final product even though the meal wasn’t made specifically for him.

"He said it was absolutely amazing," Johnson said with a big smile.

That was the beginning of a beautiful -- and arguably the most unique -- friendship on the team.

"I thought it was a secret," Johnson said when he realized even those outside the locker room knew he and Newton were close. "I’m not out there going, 'Oh, I'm friends with Cam Newton.'"

But the friendship is real, and it began with a simple meal that turned into a cooking video with the two that soon will be shared on The Players' Tribune.

In case you’re wondering, Johnson prepared salmon stuffed with lobster, scallops and spinach with a honey spice sauce.

Newton's role in this?

“He was the sous chef," Johnson said with a laugh. “He was more in the way than anything. I made him feel important, and I put him in charge of the mashed potatoes."

Newton may have been second in command in the kitchen, but he’s the reason Johnson will get to showcase his cooking talent to those outside of his family and the team.

“He said the food tastes so good he wanted more people to know I have a unique skill and a passion for cooking," Johnson said of Newton, who has a passion for food as well and owns his own food truck.

Johnson, 26, isn’t ready to give up football. Scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent, he hopes to re-sign with the Panthers. He wants to resume his role as the nickelback that he took over after a long recovery from an Achilles injury that left him on the physically unable to perform/non-football injury list for the first six games.

But when he hangs up his cleats, he’ll head to culinary school.

"When I’m done, I want to be on the Food Network channel," Johnson said. "I want to be able to invite players like Cam and other coaches and other players on and cook them meals and talk about stuff they’re doing in the community, talk about stuff that’s going on throughout the game."

It’s a concept that could work.

"It's always been a passion of mine," Johnson said. "I’ve traveled to different countries and learned how to cook different cuisines."

Because of his friendship with Newton, more people know about Johnson’s passion. But Johnson no longer is a fan of Newton, at least not in the way he once was. Let him explain.

When you’re around greatness, you start to figure out ways to implement different things, not only in football but your personal life," Johnson said. "So, I told him, 'I'm no longer a fan of Cam Newton.'

"He said, 'What do you mean?’ I said, me being in position to see your work ethic and understand the personal sacrifices you make to gain the level of success you have, when you go out and perform well it doesn’t surprise me."

Johnson has a pretty strong work ethic himself. He showed up every day for practice when he was working on the side with the trainers rehabbing his Achilles, wearing game pants. The pants were a reminder that all the pain and hard work he was going through was for one purpose: to get back in the game.

The pants became a symbol for him and an inspiration for teammates who took notice.

Newton’s hard work and preparation didn’t go unnoticed by Johnson. That’s why he’s now a friend more than a fan.

“I told him there’s nothing you can do to surprise me anymore because I understand the process and the sacrifices you made," Johnson said. "Fans, they don’t understand the full process. So, when a guy goes out and has an amazing game, they’re intrigued and excited about it.

"When I look at that same performance, I say, 'Hey, I expected that from you.'"

So what does Newton have to say about his friendship with Johnson? He was asked that last month during a news conference after the defensive back had dressed in an elf costume -- complete with big, pointed ears -- to help the quarterback deliver Christmas presents around Charlotte.

Newton brushed off the question and moved on. The most he’s ever said about Johnson publicly came in a November press conference when he was asked why he calls him Jamie.

"'Cause his middle name is Jamie ... and he's playing like a fox," said Newton, who considers himself the team’s sensei of nicknames.

But it was cooking, not football, that ultimately brought this unlikely pair together.

Players went their separate ways on Monday, and by Wednesday Newton and Johnson were planning a Thursday get-together.

"Man, we hang out all the time," Johnson said. "I never imagined my friendship taking off as it did. It wasn’t anything that was forced. It was just all love and genuine. We talk and text every day about stuff that’s going on.

"We’ve got a good friendship, and those are hard to come about."

http://www.espn.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/24262/how-cooking-brought-leonard-johnson-and-cam-newton-together

johnson brought a much-needed spark to this secondary when he came in. i hope we keep him - if not a starter he's great depth, and this is the type of chemistry we need building between players to return us to that top end 2015 locker room.

Not controversial enough for Clicks. Let me give it the ol' Joe Person Spinorama:

Because of his friendship with Newton, more people know about Johnson’s passion. But Johnson no longer is a fan of Newton, at least not in the way he once was. Let him explain.

Should turn into this:

But Johnson no longer is a fan of Newton, at least not in the way he once was. Let him explain.

Not good enough. Let's take this out of context even more:

"...Johnson no longer is a fan of Newton..."

Seems like the players are turning on their QB...

Tweeted by Joe Person

Nailed it 

Image result for joe person charlotte observer

Archived