• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Evaluation: Front Four A Concern?

Saca312

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Huge upside. I'll just have to trust the scouts and staff to figure out where his floor is. We all know how Gettleman loves prospects that are ideal or plus size for their respective position. Would not be shocked at all if he's our pick at #40 if he's there.

Hopefully he's there then. I have been reading a lot of teams like him. So what are you feeling: Adams and then nova (sorry I don't know how to spell his name)

2 minutes ago, csx said:

We had a larger percentage of our sacks coming from the front 4 this season than in any of our recent seasons.

I had to go all the way back to last season to find a season when we had a higher percentage of our sacks from our front four.

73% this season

76% last season

31 minutes ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

Wait wait wait...

How has the ship sailed? Dude, you need to stop with the hyperbole. Ealy is no different than Norman or Hardy. The talent is present but he still acts like a kid and doesn't give it his all on every down. I mean, if we were willing to give Alexander like 5 chances then we can give Kony one last chance.

In addition, he's better suited on CJ's side. 

Consistency. The ship has sailed on it. Sorry. We all hoped his great Super Bowl performance was him establishing himself as an elite DE. It wasn't. He's a rotational guy. You need tonstop living in a Dre works where Ealy becomes a consistent elite NFL DE.

He has 4 sacks, 5 sacks, and five sacks in his first three seasons. 

Maybe his 4th season is when the light finally comes on, but in terms of rounding our our roster, we shouldn't be cou ting on that. We should be counting in him as a rotational guy. Nothing more, nothing less.

I don't disagree that we need some help on the edge. 

This is one of those stats they come up with because they got a new toy.  This doesn't prove or disprove anything.

A stat worthy of discussion would be a team receiving points for sacks, pressures and hurries.   Because you don't sack the QB doesn't mean you didn't affect the play.   For instance we didn't get to sack Ryan so much because of the quick through but we could have still created pressure.

8 hours ago, Saca312 said:

The Panthers came back from a disappointing 7 sack performance over a 7 week span to be 2nd in the league in sacks. It was a feat many praised, and solidified the belief our front may actually not be a problem this offseason.

Well, this article segment debunks that theory:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000781911/article/denver-broncos-lead-list-of-top10-pass-rushing-teams?campaign=tw-nf-sf54055029-sf54055029&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

This came as a relative shock to me. I was in the belief that our D-line rotation change was the primary factor in our improved performance, rather than considering blitz'. However, this statistic shows we're having a relatively large amount of help with the blitz calls McDermott came up with.

This might be a factor as to why he was so easily considered for a HC job. He made our defense look better than it is.

Sure, arguably injuries and such derailed our units full potential, with Kuechly, Addison, and CJ missing time throughout the season, but it still is an area of concern. I believe we have been a product of a combination of a good front and blitz', but can be upgraded.

This is arguably a reason Gettleman is looking into DEs this offseason. We just need an upgrade at that position.

What do you think? Do you agree with the snippet?

EDIT: To add to the fire, they have the Falcons ahead of us. 

I'm questioning the legitimacy of the claims.

Inconsitency in secondary cause this misleading stat.

Front Four is good just need a rotational piece , if not kick Butler outside to DE and allow him to get more reps. 

5 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I had to go all the way back to last season to find a season when we had a higher percentage of our sacks from our front four.

73% this season

76% last season

A nominal difference, I'd say, and very telling as far as arguing for a great need at DE over other positions of need.

I don't think that Gettleman will be moved by this meteic (if he even knows it exists). I certainly don't believe it would affect his thinking on the eighth pick. It will be BPA all the way. If that's a DE, then Huddlers who specifically want DEs will be happy.

4 hours ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

No, it hasn't. Just stop. You were calling Worley a bust 4 games into his rookie campaign. You should not be judging ANY talent on our squad. That's why you're here on the boards. Now, normally, I would agree, but our entire DL underwhelmed last season with the exception of Star and Addison in some spots (and Love after we brought him back). Short, Johnson, Soliai, Horton, Delaire, etc were average to mediocre to crap.

I'll wait to make a full judgement until after this upcoming season.

I agree with you that it isn't quite time close the book on Ealy yet, but LG has a point that he hasn't been the every down superstar that we hoped he would. I hope we have a contingency plan next season, because I'm not ready to rely on him either. 

5 hours ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

No, it hasn't. Just stop. You were calling Worley a bust 4 games into his rookie campaign. You should not be judging ANY talent on our squad. That's why you're here on the boards. Now, normally, I would agree, but our entire DL underwhelmed last season with the exception of Star and Addison in some spots (and Love after we brought him back). Short, Johnson, Soliai, Horton, Delaire, etc were average to mediocre to crap.

I'll wait to make a full judgement until after this upcoming season.

Show me where I called Worley a bust.

I can point you to a thread from months ago... oh, about the same timeframe you're accusing me of calling him a bust where I expressed my concerns but clearly stated I was not calling him a bust.

Stop putting words in other posters' mouths to fit your agenda.

Considering 2 of our top 3 players (based on snap count - http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/car/2016-snap-counts.htm) are no longer under contract I would say it is the biggest concern we have right now.

For whatever reason people are just assuming Addison and CJ are locks to resign.  Until that happens DE is the biggest need we have.  All of the other positions we keep talking about, such as RB and Safety, have experienced players under contract so in reality we are talking just upgrading the position, not filling the position.

Archived