• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Ready To Shop At Tiffany's? Not So Fast.

Saca312

Some of those numbers might be a little high.

For example:  Lets say they sign Addison to 4yrs/28m, which is higher than he is forecasting.  Chances are his fist year cost would probably be around $4m.  So that is an extra 2 right there.  Same with Remmers.  Most contracts are back loaded to a degree.

Star is already on the books for $6.7m, even if you give him a long term deal it probably won't be much more of a cap hit in the first year. To put it in perspective Luke's 5th year cap cost after his extension was 6m.

http://overthecap.com/player/luke-kuechly/1184

Chances are if we give Star an extension his cap cost would actually go down.

A couple of million here or there on contracts like Addison or Remmers.  Extra $6m that we don't need for Star because he is already on the books for close to $7m.  That alone puts us back around $22m.  Pay players 52 and 53, pay rookies (the difference between them and who they are replacing), and keep around $5m cushion.   You are back to around $12-14m in cap which is plenty to sign some free agents.  A 5yr/$70m contract can easily come in around $7m for the first year.

Couple of things to remember:

A long term deal for Short would most likely carry a cheaper cap cost next year then his tag number.

A player like Berry would probably have a lower cap cost then someone like Whitworth next year also  The reason being Berry will probably end up signing a long term deal, something like 5yrs/$65m which might have a first year cap cost of $7m.  Whereas Whitworth at his age might only get a 2yr deal worth $22m.  Because it is a shorter deal it could easily carry a higher first year cap cost then Berry's long term deal.

Before we start the we don't have any money song let's remember a few things. If we franchise KK we spend right at 15 million for a year but if we sign him long term his cap hit in 2017 would be likely less than 10. With Star if we sign him long term in 2017, the cap hit won't start until 2018 not 2017 unless we rip up the 5th year option and make the long term deal good immediately (don't know why we would), but again the cap hit will be lower in year 1 and likely 2 from the average yearly amount and rise in later years. Sure you pay more down the road but the cap seems to keep going up so there will be more money.

The fallacy is that Newton is using yearly salary averages to calculate what cap space will cost  and there are plenty of ways to manage the cap so that honestly we can bring in whoever we want and still not end up in cap hell again.

We could sign Star and KK long term for the same cap hit in 2017as it will cost to franchise KK alone. Less if Stars money is 2018 money. 

How does Short's franchise tag keep getting bigger? First I heard it is was 12 mill, then 13 mill, now is damn near 15.

And whose to say we sign all those guys? Whose to say we dont start releasing a bunch of other guys to free up space. And why in gods name would Gettleman front load all their contracts????

Ive said a million times no coveted free agent no super bowl. Is that simple. If you think you're gonna win a SB only with only players you drafted and unwanted free agents you are sadly mistaken.

I'm pretty sure he forgot to factor in the fact that Stars 5th year option is already picked up and factored into the cap so signing him long term wouldn't cost extra money this year, if anything signing him long term would probably save money.

yes franchising KK would cost a lot but signing him long term isn't going to cost anything near 14 million a year of gaurenteed money 

Remmers won't get 5.5 million a year either 

55 million is a lot so don't let him convince you that it'll dwindle down to 15 million after we sign our own guys 

Oh god this really pisses me off if this is true,  just pack the fuging season up already and start looking forward to when Dave gettleman isn't the fuging GM, I mean god fuging damn. How many examples do you need of teams around the league that are building through fixing needs in Fa then drafting the future. Until we get out of this bullshit fuging Steelers 1970s mindset well never NEVER win a fuging Superbowl. Mark my fuging words, go ahead and write it the fug down. If this team doesn't spend big and get guys like Reif and Berry I'm not a believer that we'll win more than 7 games.

I'm not being a Debbie Downer, I'm simply staying the fuging facts here. This team NEEDS GOD DAMN HELP AND NEEDS HELP NOW GOD DAMN IT. The fuging falcons just nearly won the fuging Superbowl because WHYYYYY??? THEY BROUGHT in guys on the o line to help their lethargic ass pathetic blocking. Their fuging sorry ass excuse for a fuging o line, while we sit on our fuging asses eating Twinkies all fuging day long rolling with mother fugers like Mike fuging Remmers what the fuging fug ??? Cam needs to just ask for a fuging trade this is a fuging pathetic excuse for a fuging organisation and franchise, I love Cam Newton but I loathe the day we drafted him because this city. This franchise is too fuging small for him. Time to think about moving on Cam.  

Rant ended. Enough said, let's keep bringing in guys like Lou young and starting them. You can't fix fuging stupid, the time to win is now. In this league you need balls. Spend that fuging money. Spend it now, do what the raiders did surround cam with a good cast and reap the benefits, hell I don't know that new england would have been the Best team if Oakland hadn't had their excellent QB get hurt. 

IF THIS TEAM DOESN'T SPEND MONEY IT'S TIME TO GET THE GOD DAMN PITCHFORKS GOD DAMN IT !!!! LET'S STORM THE FRONT OFFICE AND KICK IN THE GOD DAMN DOOR AND GET THESE DICKWADS OUT!!  These fans deserve a WINNER. Luke Kuechly deserves to be a champion, Cam Newton deserves to be a champion, Thomas Davis deserves to be a champion. Jesus I'll be so pissed off. God help me. 

15 minutes ago, Salisburysean98 said:

Oh god this really pisses me off if this is true,  just pack the fuging season up already and start looking forward to when Dave gettleman isn't the fuging GM, I mean god fuging damn. How many examples do you need of teams around the league that are building through fixing needs in Fa then drafting the future. Until we get out of this bullshit fuging Steelers 1970s mindset well never NEVER win a fuging Superbowl. Mark my fuging words, go ahead and write it the fug down. If this team doesn't spend big and get guys like Reif and Berry I'm not a believer that we'll win more than 7 games.

I'm not being a Debbie Downer, I'm simply staying the fuging facts here. This team NEEDS GOD DAMN HELP AND NEEDS HELP NOW GOD DAMN IT. The fuging falcons just nearly won the fuging Superbowl because WHYYYYY??? THEY BROUGHT in guys on the o line to help their lethargic ass pathetic blocking. Their fuging sorry ass excuse for a fuging o line, while we sit on our fuging asses eating Twinkies all fuging day long rolling with mother fugers like Mike fuging Remmers what the fuging fug ??? Cam needs to just ask for a fuging trade this is a fuging pathetic excuse for a fuging organisation and franchise, I love Cam Newton but I loathe the day we drafted him because this city. This franchise is too fuging small for him. Time to think about moving on Cam.  

Rant ended. Enough said, let's keep bringing in guys like Lou young and starting them. You can't fix fuging stupid, the time to win is now. In this league you need balls. Spend that fuging money. Spend it now, do what the raiders did surround cam with a good cast and reap the benefits, hell I don't know that new england would have been the Best team if Oakland hadn't had their excellent QB get hurt. 

IF THIS TEAM DOESN'T SPEND MONEY IT'S TIME TO GET THE GOD DAMN PITCHFORKS GOD DAMN IT !!!! LET'S STORM THE FRONT OFFICE AND KICK IN THE GOD DAMN DOOR AND GET THESE DICKWADS OUT!!  These fans deserve a WINNER. Luke Kuechly deserves to be a champion, Cam Newton deserves to be a champion, Thomas Davis deserves to be a champion. Jesus I'll be so pissed off. God help me. 

IMG_0785.GIF

1 hour ago, uncfan888 said:

Lot of people in here throwing hissy fits over a beat writer's numbers. How about waiting until these guys are actually signed or let go before freaking out?

I get it.  But, if we didn't have a track record of doing the dumb poo Newton stated.  It would be a different story.  Especially under DG.  

Archived