• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFF college WR stats

panther4life

Brett Whitefield @BrettWhitefield 10h10 hours ago

I made a chart with our route data @PFF: The top producers of this years WR class from behind the LOS. Great stuff.
C72KmU4WsAAN1m1.jpg
2 replies 10 retweets 12 likes

• here is how the class performs on short routes 0-9 yds beyond LOS via our route data @PFF
C72dohnWsAEo-oi.jpg
The class on intermediate routes (10-19yds beyond LOS). If you're curious on someone not listed please ask.

•  
C72gkDPX0AcBfqG.jpg
3 replies 5 retweets 4 likes

The 2017 WR draft class on passes thrown 20+ yards beyond LOS. Dede Westbrook is a bad man. Via our route data @PFF
C73a4k2WsAILGC1.jpg 

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Take a long look at those names. Most of them you'll never hear or see again.

PFF is overrated as fug.

That is probably true of any long list of college receivers.

I would be curious to know drop rates of those same guys.

I'm pretty sure Jones is towards the top.

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

PFF is overrated as fug.

Pro franchises don't see it that way.

Most players aren't household names anyway. On our team, we probably only have two.

The fact is that whether or not we see these names again (which most of them are very much known by draftniks), that doesn't have anything to do with the viability or lack thereof of PFF.

7 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Pro franchises don't see it that way.

Most players aren't household names anyway. On our team, we probably only have two.

The fact is that whether or not we see these names again (which most of them are very much known by draftniks), that doesn't have anything to do with the viability or lack thereof of PFF.

Last I saw their #1 NFL nickelback got cut for a small cap savings and remained unsigned.

PFF analysis is relevant to PFF rankings. That's the beginning and end of it.

Player X 2016 stats:  158 receptions 1746 yards 8 Rec TDs  #5.25 overall ranking on PFF chart (divided by 4 categories)

Player Z 2016 stats:   98 receptions  1730 yards 17 TDs    #6.25 overall ranking on PFF chart (divided by 4 categories)

According to the 4 levels of receiving - Zay is #1 in reception ranking in the flat and intermediate routes, and #2 behind the LOS, but dead last in getting behind coverage deep for the big homerun play.

According to the 4 levels of receiving Taywan Taylor is 7th, 8th and 9th in behind the LOS, flat routes and intermediate routes (middle of the pack), and #1 at getting behind the coverage for deep routes 20+ yards downfield. 

'Player Z' is Taylor and he put up almost identical yards in 60 less receptions and doubled Zay's ('Player X')TD total in 2016.

I like Zay, but for what we need, I'll take Taylor.  They put up similar combine numbers in almost all categories. Taylor may be smaller and from a smaller school, but his shiftiness and homerun playmaking ability is more needed, in my opinion, than Jones' consistency/possession receiver like skills. 

Different strokes for different folks.

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Last I saw their #1 NFL nickelback got cut for a small cap savings and remained unsigned.

PFF analysis is relevant to PFF rankings. That's the beginning and end of it.

Bullshit! It's not that simple and never was. PFF is a tool (probably among many). People decide how they want to use it. Like it or not, many professionals give it varying degrees of relevance. That's really the beginning and end of it.

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

Bullshit! It's not that simple and never was. PFF is a tool (probably among many). People decide how they want to use it. Like it or not, many professionals give it varying degrees of relevance.

Lord help the PFF nut huggers. It makes them feel so important and informed.

Meanwhile, their own rankings are often the best argument against their methodology.

26 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

PFF is overrated as fug.

I agree they have a weird way of trying to take stats and convert them into player grades, that is highly flawed method.

That being said, this is just raw data. This is good info. Stats don't tell the whole story as we all know but still interesting to see receptions broken down on how many air travel yards.

Archived