• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bill Voth: Gary Barnidge Will Not Be Returning To Carolina

Barnidge can sign a bigger contract somewhere else that he would be offered here. And chances are it will be for a TE1 position.

That being said, you know, I don't have many problems with Ed Dickson. The biggest knock against him is that he isn't Greg Olsen. As the second tight end for this team, he does a pretty good job and I still remember him catching that bullet of a pass in the end zone to win a game (Titans, I think) where the commentators couldn't imagine anyone being able to make that connection.

We'll be fine with Dickson as our TE2 this year. We do, however, need to be looking at Greg's eventual replacement. That's going to take a 1st rounder and we're going to have to get pretty lucky, too. Guys like him are pretty darn rare.

Why all the angst?  Dude will be 32 at the beginning of the season.  He'd get 2nd TE targets here, which last year amounted to 19 for Dickson.  Does anyone think Barnidge would get significant looks with Olsen, Benjamin, Samuel, CMC and Funchess already in the mix?

He doesn't want to be a blocking TE, he wants money and targets.  Furthermore, he doesn't want to sit on the bench waiting to see if Olsen gets hurt.  And why would we pay someone significant money to sit the bench anyway?

Olsen hasn't missed a game in 10 years, but if he does get hurt and we are still in the hunt, I guarantee there will be teams willing to trade us a very good TE for a 4th/5th rounder, which would be a lot cheaper than paying Barnridge 2-3 mil per year to catch 20 balls.

My reasoning for a second productive TE is in case of injury, not for running a lot of 2 TE sets.  If Olsen were to be injured for a long period of time, we are screwed.  that's why I was wanting us to draft a TE from this year's class since it was deep and talented.

It wasn't just barnidge in particular , I wanted to get A TE in the draft or FA if for nothing else , so we'll be okay if the worst happen and Greg goes down . Because can you imagine Dickson as our starting TE for multiple games ?

Archived