• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Norv Turner Experience - Cam Newton's Deathbed

Saca312

Just now, Jon Snow said:

Not really, we are already running the same offense, albeit unsuccessfully, but it's the same.

eh Shula had a more watered down version and tried to modernize elements with additions of a few college concepts.

While he had no feel for the team, at least he was trying to keep pace with the modern times and add a few creative things.

Norv Turner comes from an era that will never work in today's NFL, and he's shown no signs of change. His full system is far more complex than Shula's and involve ways more rigor and technicality in a way.

That isn't to say more detail is good at all. In fact, all it is really is more detail to old and outdated schematics.

I still remember reading up about Norv when he left the Vikings. 

https://www.sbnation.com/2016/11/6/13539944/norv-turner-quit-vikings-offense-sam-bradford

Turner told Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network that he left because he believed that he was "holding [the Vikings offense] back from things all getting on the same page. I don't want anyone to think I was bailing. It just wasn't working."

He went on to say that there was no split between himself and head coach Mike Zimmer. If fact, Turner’s decision caught his boss by surprise. Same with Sam Bradford, who found when his wife sent him a text after getting a new alert on her phone.

The Vikings offense has been plagued with injuries, from Teddy Bridgewater to Adrian Peterson and both starting offensive tackles. Turner didn’t feel like he could make the necessary adjustments to string together a competent unit to slug its way through the rest of the season.

This is the guy we want? Someone that quit because he couldn't adjust to circumstances at all? Seriously

I haven’t made up my mind about the possibility of Norv being our OC, but the system isnt the biggest problem. It was game time play calling decisions. The same system tended to work fine when Cam was running it no huddle and choosing the plays. The problem came when Shula started deciding which plays would be run when. 

9 minutes ago, Lumps said:

Just think there’s a better direction to go here. But Rivera, loyalty, only have 2 years to prove himself. He’s probably scared of changing anything.

And we rightfully SHOULD NOT GIVE A fug. I want to win, i could careless about Riveras job!!

26 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

They say change is a good thing. A breath of fresh air. A new morning.

So, when Ron Rivera fired Shula, many thought that change may finally be here. 

However, with recent events unfolding, that definitely is no longer the case.

Ron Rivera wants to play football like his days back during the '85 Bears. He wants a rough defense and an offense who's only sole existence is to attempt to control the ball and not be flash or bang. This is all despite having one of the most electrifying quarterbacks in Cam Newton, new generation type players in Christian McCaffrey and Curtis Samuel, and an offense which definitely has the potential to be explosive with the right guy.

So, hiring Norv Turner would be the epitome of Rivera's pathetic ability of self-scouting and improving this team.

Turner comes from an era that is no more. His offensive designs lack creativity or ingenuity. He draws up designs from the '90s that clearly don't work in the modern NFL, and he pretty much is terrible at everything he does. 

Take a look at his past history, and you'll see why.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/TurnNo0.htm

The true definition of mediocrity. In fact, during his tenure with the 2011 Chargers, it's been noted he has been by far and wide the weakest link of the bunch. Take a look at what @rayzor dug up.

Sound familiar? Get used to this.

The Chargers overcame poor coaching with talent. Having the likes of Phillip Rivers, Vincent Jackson, Malcolm Floyd, Antonio Gates, and a top tier offensive line at their peak allowed this team to flourish.

Turner's archaic designs stress the importance of having elite tackles and long, developing plays. His style may have worked in the '90s when defenses didn't have as many pass rushing nor athletic freaks as the league does today, but obviously that won't work now. He is simply uncreative and terrible at being an offensive coordinator.

In simpler terms, he lives off of long developing plays with very poor blocking schemes to compensate. Basically an older version of Shula.

Billy has done the hard work and pretty much dug up a bunch of these on twitter and showed exactly why he's bad. I'll highlight a few of them down below, but there's a bunch more where this came from here.

https://twitter.com/BillyM_91/status/950874829783171073

Animated GIF

You have a 3x1 here with a dig, drag, and a post. All these are long and developing routes and require the offensive line to hold for a long time. Basically even more ancient than Shula's old scheme.

This requires elite OTs to even stand a chance. The amount of time the QB is forced to hold the ball is crazy. This is like 2016's offense all over again.

And of course, the guy giving up the fumble is Matt Kalil.

As for the next one, you have two posts on the wins side with a drag from the TE and a deep hitch mixed in. Long developing plays yet again, but what gets worse is how the offensive line is schemed to block.

Animated GIFimageproxy.php?img=&key=7e7e9fcd50b54ebe

I don't even know what kind of protection is this. Pathetic scheming all around.

Even @Jeremy Igo recognizes a coaching issue when it comes to the offensive line play. Scroll down towards the middle post and you'll see his take;

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/topic/139210-quick-analysis-matt-kalils-film-is-depressing-but-steps-hes-taking-in-the-off-season-provides-hope/

Simply put, Norv Turner likes getting his quarterback killed.

Finally, he certainly knows how to not get anyone open. This is terrible.

Animated GIF

Since Norv Turner hates seeing people go off script and rips at them for such, I don't even know if Cam can save this atrocity. Turner is a huge downgrade from Shula in this day and age of the NFL, and that's just how Rivera likes it.

Good luck.

You can throw everything with vikings out the window...

i think most of us have been clamoring for a faster paced and harder to predict offense. that's not going to be turner.

i think he may run it better, but the bar isn't exactly very high right there.

i think we can do better, we need better, but this is the direction rivera wants to stay with.

the question is, if he wants to keep doing things the same way, then why go and get rid of shula? my guess is that turner is who he's wanted all along.

I keep saying the top offenses usually have some of the top skill players, these magical coordinators that make practice squad players servicable are rare and damn sure aren’t going to be coordinators much more than one season before getting a hc gig. Josh mcdaniels is the exception but we see it year after year.

that being said bringing in a guy who can fuc the simplest of issues that bog down the time offesne will work wonders

12 minutes ago, outlaw4 said:

I still remember reading up about Norv when he left the Vikings. 

https://www.sbnation.com/2016/11/6/13539944/norv-turner-quit-vikings-offense-sam-bradford

This is the guy we want? Someone that quit because he couldn't adjust to circumstances at all? Seriously

No, someone who recognized it wasnt going to work and didnt waste 3-5 yrs of everybody's time...yes that is who we want...im in...

Archived