• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does Norwell now effect our 1st pick?

Catufb85

Reports say Norwell to the Giants is a "done deal"  with this being said my thoughts are, this could effect the first couple of picks.  Do you go with someone like OG Will Hernandez who crushed the draft and pair him wit Trai Turner and have your guard position locked up for a while.  Or do you stay the course and go with another need etc.  WR, S, DE. 

Funny/frustrating/flattering how this time every year we are having teams scavenge our players. 

I personally think we stay the course and go WR, S, DE in the first couple of picks and still target OL help later in the draft.

Just now, Dex said:

If we address WR and S in free agency I'd be okay double dipping at Oline. The Kalils are question marks and Moton may not be able to excel at LG.

I feel the same. Our FA will tell what our first pick will be.

1 minute ago, Dex said:

If we address WR and S in free agency I'd be okay double dipping at Oline. The Kalils are question marks and Moton may not be able to excel at LG.

I like that too.  Really depends on the FA signings.  But i agree with you.  Which ever need we don't address in FA that will most likely be the first pick.

I would look at a bargain pricing guard like Josh Kline from Titans.  I hate to say it but would even look at bringing Tre Boston back for security and depth and then see what else happens.

In a perfect world if we are able to sign norwell back and pick up a fa WR, that would leave us with the most flexibility in the draft imo. Still think there should be some kind of pay cut ryan kalil takes. But that would allow us to trade up for a guy like Derwin James if he falls out of the top 15. Regardless, I’d still draft a WR round 2-3, and another rb later.

It shouldn't since we were probably never gonna be able to keep him. Our first round pick more than likely SHOULD be Ronnie Harrison. He's in our range, could very well be bpa/feels a need, big SMART hitter, he can play both safety spots but will probably be strong safety, can cover pretty well for his size  and he's intelligent from playing qb in high school and calling out signals for Bama defense. 

IMO Harrison checks all the boxes for us.  

WR has to be addressed in FA or we're real trouble. We could also address safety in FA, and that is likely because RR has no tolerance for safeties who make too many mistakes (see the failed Boston pick). RR will be wary of drafting a safety to start on the team, so FA safety is highly likely imo. As far as the draft is concerned you want players who are a good value at a position of need. We might draft a lower round safety as a project player to warm the bench for the 1st season.

Drafting a 1st or 2nd round OG would be stunning and would seriously harm our chances of having a winning season. We have desperate needs elsewhere on both sides of the ball that cannot be ignored. If OG were extremely important we would pay Norwell. A later round OG pick, say 3rd round or lower, seems pretty likely imo.

The top 2 picks will be TD scoring players. Think RB, WR, TE. Weapons for Cam is now the mindset, not slugs on the lines. Far too much money has been spent on LBs and defense d-line, and they don't have a huge effect on stopping the Falcons and Saints. The Saints can carve up Luke or any any other extremely expensive defensive player. What matters is TDs and weapons for Cam, and the defense should be decently staffed, but don't go crazy with 1st rounders. We need more points, not more KK and 1st round LBs. It didn't work. We have DTs coming out of our ears, but they're not getting to Brees. No more. Load the offense because it's what the NFL system favors, and it's what football fans want.

52 minutes ago, Catufb85 said:

I like that too.  Really depends on the FA signings.  But i agree with you.  Which ever need we don't address in FA that will most likely be the first pick.

I would look at a bargain pricing guard like Josh Kline from Titans.  I hate to say it but would even look at bringing Tre Boston back for security and depth and then see what else happens.

Sportrac has Boston's market value at 7.6m.  The whole 'bring Tre Boston in for depth' ship has sailed. 

Archived