• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

on the matt kalil massive sack on the cam 3 step drop

Saca312

Some talk about the massive flop that caused a massive sack on cam.

geoff decided to be the contrarian and argue it’s all on cam.

Moton’s cutblock was solid and great. Matt Kalil, not so much tbh despite whatever Geoff wants to say. Reminder he has a history of bias against Cam for some odd reason, so in this instance he ignores what happens to Cam.

SavePanther explains how it disrupts Cam:

so basically, Moton isnt to blame, neither is Cam. 

Matt Kalil is a work in progress.

Also more or less the play design was bad. Its preseason so stuff like that is expected. Lots of things went wrong overall.

1 minute ago, Saca312 said:

Matt Kalil is a work in progress.

Bruh. He's a Panther so I'm going to root for him no matter what but damn, he's been in the league since 2012. I'm worried it's due to a lack of effort which scares me more than shortcomings in ability.

I'm almost wondering if they change up the progressions in that play going forward. Olsen was open the whole time on the right side, but Cam started reading from the left and only got to Greg as he was about to be taken down. Kalil could have given Cam more time, but I think in the future, if our strength is on the right side and if Greg (a reliable receiver) is on the right, maybe we flip the reads on the play and presume the left side will break down quicker.

This is sort of both Cam holding onto the ball a little too long and Kalil not doing a good enough job cutting his man. Cam isn't used to quick throws to the flat (his timing will no doubt get better), but at the same time Kalil did a poor job cutting his man and Quinn was in Cam's passing lane pretty fast.

Matt Kalil was terrible last night and he didn't do his job on this play. But it must be stated that Robert Quinn is a phenomenal DE and is extremely athletic. I think this was a combo of Quinn's athleticism and Kalil being bad. 

Matt Kalil is horrible.  He can’t block. 

But I kinda agree, that play isn’t really on Kalil.  He was suppose to cut the guy.  He did.  Was it perfect? No, but good enough IMO.  Cam didn’t take the easy layup the design of the play called for.   It was there.  Cam wanted a bigger play.  Which is something Cam does.  

He's not wrong that Cam held on to the ball too long, and needs to get it out quicker there, but man Matt was fugin' helpless there.

I hope we don't use this play too much against DEs like Quinn (with an abundance of speed and power) when Matt is 1-on-1 against them.  Either that or we just have Kalil do nothing but 1-on-1s with Addison and Hayes so he stops fugin panickingagainst speed rushers.

22 minutes ago, Snake said:

He's right Cam did hold the ball but Kalil still isn't blocking well enough. 

Cam is too indecisive a lot of times w/ his reads  you know the same ole consistency debate. 

In the NFL OL is gonna get beat especially against top tier competition, end of the day it’s up to the QB to make adjustment. Cam can audible , slide protection , roll alway but that comes with preparation. Be more like Brady & Rogers! 

Matt didn't complete the block, and Cam wanted the big boy.

Gotta see what's happening and dump that off, or throw it into the stands...can't take those beatings and loss of yardage.

That said, when Cam hit's those plays...and not many are willing, it is wonderful.

19 minutes ago, Castavar said:

This is sort of both Cam holding onto the ball a little too long and Kalil not doing a good enough job cutting his man.

The initial point is, however, that if Kalil had made a successful cut-block and took his man to the ground, Cam would never have held the ball "a little too long" because he would have whipped it to the open receiver in the flat (his first read) right away.

Archived