• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

We are retaining 7 LB and only 4 CB in today’s nfl?

GoobyPls

I’ve been preaching this for awhile.  We are a “stop the run” and “keep everything in front of you type of team.”  Even when we do blitz we tend to play it safe on the back end.

Every coach has an identity and Ron definitely seems to be a front 7 type of guy.

Personally I think the NFL is moving away from that.

I was a bit surprised we only kept 4 CBS but in the short term it might not really matter in a practical sense.  I would think on a lot of game days the 5th CB isnt active anyway.

Once you get past the injured players there are certain positions you fill your inactives from, 4th RB, 4th TE, 9th OL, 10th OL, 5th WR, 6th WR, 5th DE, 6th LB, 7th LB, 5th CB.

The last 7 guys you keep on your roster aren’t kept because they are needed on game day.  They aren’t kept because you think they have potential and are afraid they will be poached.

With all that being said though I personally thought we wrought have kept 5. Maybe we add one from the cuts.

42 minutes ago, Ace_Aladdin said:

Or the LB corp got better in coverage ..ex  Shaq’s INTs in preseason 

You put the best players on the field. 

Yea that’s why 70% of the league went 11-5?

You mean the same interception in which Shaq was getting beat but the QB threw behind the RB and tipped off his hands?

We went 11-5 in spite out terrible coverage schemes

30 minutes ago, CRA said:

Should we keep bad corners just for the sake of numbers? 

If we need bad corners...we can pretty much get bad ones at any point in the season

I am fairly certain that we will add one CB or S--but you keep the best football players, so this is a valid point.  If we cut A. Smith, for example, to find a place for Seymour, then we could be playing a game one day and Smith  is eating us alive starting for the other team while Seymour is getting toasted every other play.  At the end of the game, we can proudly say that we had an appropriate number of players in each position in that loss.

27 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I am fairly certain that we will add one CB or S--but you keep the best football players, so this is a valid point.  If we cut A. Smith, for example, to find a place for Seymour, then we could be playing a game one day and Smith  is eating us alive starting for the other team while Seymour is getting toasted every other play.  At the end of the game, we can proudly say that we had an appropriate number of players in each position in that loss.

Well it won't be Seymour we add. He's on season-ending IR.

Our D is known for giving up a ton of yards but we are stingy when it comes to scoring TDs.  It’s a bend but don’t break approach Rivera is using.  He’s ok with giving up yards but he is against giving up big plays and scores.  We will force teams to beat us thru the air.  This will work against some teams but not others.  We are forced to play a lot of zone so QBs like Brees and Ryan will take us apart if they have time to throw.  Our DL better show up.

5 minutes ago, ARSEN said:

Our D is known for giving up a ton of yards but we are stingy when it comes to scoring TDs.  It’s a bend but don’t break approach Rivera is using.  He’s ok with giving up yards but he is against giving up big plays and scores.  We will force teams to beat us thru the air.  This will work against some teams but not others.  We are forced to play a lot of zone so QBs like Brees and Ryan will take us apart if they have time to throw.  Our DL better show up.

Obada-bing hopefully does not get cut after the bye. I want to see him pass rush downs.

I think our future is not super bad for pass rushing:

Haynes will be our next Super Mario after he adds a little more weight.

Cox Jr reminds me of Big Money CJ, not the fastest but has great strength and leverage 

Obada is kinda like JP in the terms of a freak by measureables. He needs regular season game play/experience.

Those 3 will be our future pass rush and more.

Horton will be 29 and should be resigned for cheap as depth down the road.

Super Mario is a FA after next season and might be on the down hill side, so I see a reasonable contract to finish his career here.

JP will retire after this season and he will take solely 3rd place for all time sacks. He is going to help Cox Jr, Haynes and Obada out tremendously with mentoring throughout the season. 

4 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

And Doss should've absolutely been on the squad.

Yeah, I don't think Doss is a "bad" CB, just a little too eager at times and gets himself out of position. Ron compared him to Norman wrt that aspect, which isn't a bad thing and is certainly correctable. I think he's definitely on the PS and probably on the active roster just before or after the bye...perhaps before we play Atlanta. 

Archived