• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

On Cam Newton's two deep incompletions...

Saca312

23 minutes ago, je1005 said:

Mechanically, it’s pretty clear why. But, again, he’s almost 30. This is what he is—strong armed physical passer with skill position attributes. 

I do have to disagree that he’s never been laser accurate. Can point to two throws yesterday where he showed off great high velocity throws between 2-3 defenders that few can make. 

Sure, he’s streaky. I get that. I do attribute that a bit to scheme play and oline/WR quality through his years. And yes, his mechanics aren’t the best. At the same time, I don’t put much credit into such as I believe he’s just fine the way he is.

I think he’s an elite pocket passer. Movement in the pocket is elite. His accuracy seems fine imo when all’s said and done. Can’t ever discredit his rare ability as a rusher either.

Overall, top 3 QB in my book given all his traits. 

It will be interesting to see how he evolves in the new offense. 

Shula really did a poor job with route combos, formations/personnel and situational playcalling—among other things. 

You do have a point. In 2015, Cam led the league in comp% on passes 20+ yds (51%). He was in a zone, and his skill players made a ton of great plays. 

7 hours ago, je1005 said:

It will be interesting to see how he evolves in the new offense. 

Shula really did a poor job with route combos, formations/personnel and situational playcalling—among other things. 

You do have a point. In 2015, Cam led the league in comp% on passes 20+ yds (51%). He was in a zone, and his skill players made a ton of great plays. 

He also crazy good blocking on those plays to make those throws.

The issue is as it’s always been. Every QB misses throws like that every single game. Aaron Rodgers, Brady, Brees they all miss throws in a game. The issue is that Cam rarely has an opportunity to make those throws due to the poor play around him so when he misses one throw it gets magnified. 

So many words...

You've got a lot of energy apparently, how bout you find examples of deep balls that looked like his pre-surgery days and use those as your argument instead of explaining away incomplete passes that weren't dropped? You can't. That's the point.

It's a statement of fact that Cam's deep ball hasn't been around in a year. Arguing with zero examples of him COMPLETING DEEP PASSES is just pointless. Did he lack a deep threat WR last year? Sure, but not he has multiple 4.3 guys and so it's totally on him to hit them when they're open and that's Voth's point. 

The thing that fixes this is a good run game that pulls the defense in and sets him up with a good pocket to launch from. 

9 hours ago, SOJA said:

The only thing that I can say for certain is Cam's feet never looked set on the wheel route throw to CMC. I agree, however, it was a ridiculously difficult throw to make 

Hard to set your feet when you're having to step up in the pocket to avoid it collapsing on top of you.

I dont care whose fault it is,  we need to fix it.  We havent had a deep passing game since the 2016 season and were still missing it.  Thats going to bite us in the ass eventually when defenses just decide to camp down within 10 or 15 yards of the los and just dare cam to actually throw deep 

Archived