• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The kickoff at the end of the game

w280sax

2 hours ago, w280sax said:

I was at the game and the refs put 1 second back on the clock atter the 63 yd kick because "by rule a field goal can't take longer than 5 seconds".  Weird rule but ok.  It really looked to me that the Giants might score after a couple laterals on that play.

I have heard very little about that play.  I believe they may have not shown it on TV at all and I haven't seen a replay of it since.  Was it on TV?  If not, did anyone else nearly lose their mind on that play?

Fun Story, the Roanoke, VA Fox Affiliate cut to a commercial with 11 seconds left in the game as Gano was trotting out and then next thing you know the Eagles - Vikings game came on. I was beyond pissed.

2 hours ago, w280sax said:

I was at the game and the refs put 1 second back on the clock atter the 63 yd kick because "by rule a field goal can't take longer than 5 seconds".  Weird rule but ok.  It really looked to me that the Giants might score after a couple laterals on that play.

I have heard very little about that play.  I believe they may have not shown it on TV at all and I haven't seen a replay of it since.  Was it on TV?  If not, did anyone else nearly lose their mind on that play?

I thought the game was over after the FG and left ... I found about this watching Gano’s interview that night. Still have not seen it 

Yea that 1 second back on the clock was  confusing indeed like it came out of nowhere a few a minutes latter . Everyone thought it was over after the Fg and was leaving/left , I looked back on the field and players were zigzagging all over the place ,  Such a up and down game at the end  , I Still don't have my voice back lol  and the stadium humidity (WoW) .

4 hours ago, w280sax said:

Why can't a fg take more than 5 seconds?  What an arbitrary rule...first time I'd heard that one.

This rule came about because of the ending of SB XXXVI. With 7 seconds left in the game, the Patriots kicked a FG to take the lead. It looked like there was still 2 seconds left when the ball went through the uprights, but they let it run down to zero, denying the Rams any shot at a miracle return. So they made a rule that FGs couldn't take longer than 5 seconds.

6 hours ago, w280sax said:

Beckham took the kickoff 9 yards deep and they lateraled 2 or 3 times and it appeared they had an opening with one panthers to beat when they tried to lateral again around midfield and that lateral went out of bounds.

I saw no flags and legit thought they might score.  Definitely curious to hear from others who saw it.

Thanks for the details. Was it Gano who kicked it or Palardy? I thought Gano was too mobbed with people to kick it.

8 hours ago, w280sax said:

Beckham took the kickoff 9 yards deep and they lateraled 2 or 3 times and it appeared they had an opening with one panthers to beat when they tried to lateral again around midfield and that lateral went out of bounds.

I saw no flags and legit thought they might score.  Definitely curious to hear from others who saw it.

This is exactly the way I felt.  It looked like whoever threw the last lateral had a legit chance to run with it to the endzone.

7 hours ago, EgoDogg said:

Here you go, guys! (No sound)

arsenio.gif

too close. that game was bad for the ol' ticker. glad I didn't see that part. more than that, i'm glad they got stopped. would have been a nightmare to find out that we had lost like that and no one saw it happen.

I don't know. It doesn't look all that close to me. I would have been freaking out if I saw it live, but watching it now, I don't think it was very close. The guy who was running with it last had the best shot but once he turned and threw it, the defense would have been there to stop the new receiver if he had caught it. 

Special Teams do clearly need practice on defending laterals though. :eyeroll:

3 hours ago, KB_fan said:

Thanks for the details. Was it Gano who kicked it or Palardy? I thought Gano was too mobbed with people to kick it.

I'm pretty sure it was gano.  I heard in his postgame interview that he was celebrating until he realized he had to kickoff.

Archived