• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Olsen Debating Retiring

NJPanthers12

Tony Romo and Greg Olsen on MNF would make me happy.

Only, you know, with Greg playing for 1 more season and helping mentor Ian Thomas. Then the two of them as a commentary duo (Olsen/Romo)

But if that foot is donezo, move on and make your money, Greg! President Obama recognized you. You're good.

I see where you all are coming from, but here are some underlying factors nobody is considering---

Greg has played half the games over the past 2 years.  Rehab is painful, humiliating, monotonous, and frustrating.  Mentally, it is very taxing, which is why I appreciate TD so much.  If Olsen knows there is an  option where he can stay near the game and not worry about injury any longer, it has to be tempting.  

ESPN may not have an offer on the table in a year.  Tom Brady, Eli Manning, or Drew Brees could retire and grab the microphone.

A bad season could hurt Olsen's stock.  I doubt it, but if he pulled a Jackie Smith or Bill Buckner... (youngsters: Google those names)

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I see where you all are coming from, but here are some underlying factors nobody is considering---

Greg has played half the games over the past 2 years.  Rehab is painful, humiliating, monotonous, and frustrating.  Mentally, it is very taxing, which is why I appreciate TD so much.  If Olsen knows there is an  option where he can stay near the game and not worry about injury any longer, it has to be tempting.  

ESPN may not have an offer on the table in a year.  Tom Brady, Eli Manning, or Drew Brees could retire and grab the microphone.

A bad season could hurt Olsen's stock.  I doubt it, but if he pulled a Jackie Smith or Bill Buckner... (youngsters: Google those names)

I doubt a bad season would hurt his stock as an announcer/analyst, but 100% agree with everything else you said.

1 hour ago, Harbingers said:

This is just dumb. Networks aren’t going to pay him more than he would make for another season. Even if he ends up on IR. 

True, but that one opening may be the one you can ride out for a long time for way more money or leverage for other long term gigs. 

One thing worth noting is that the Panthers don't HAVE to pursue that bonus money. They could let it ride and it would be the same as if we cut him. The other option would be to work out an injury settlement. If Greg decides to retire to pursue announcing that might be the most palatable option for both parties. Honestly if I'm Hurney I might preemptively float that option out there.

3 minutes ago, stbugs said:

No chance he’s going to retire, too much guaranteed money in 2019. Way more than he can make in a TV gig. That’ll be there one year later.

It might have been different if Hurney didn’t give him $12m guaranteed coming off an injury filled 2017. 

I honestly think that was the lynchpin that cost Gettleman his job and it was how Hurney slid back into his old office.

Archived