• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

AAF Players I am keeping an eye on

Tepper's Chest Hair

I honestly don't know the procedure for AAF players getting grabbed by NFL teams.  If its a waiver type order, free for all.  Whatever.  But these are players I am keeping an eye on.  These would not be starters, but depth positions really.

Jamar Summers.  6'0", 190lbs, age 23, DB. 

--Plays CB for the Birmingham Iron.  Played both CB and FS at UConn.  He was an undrafted free agent that didn't stay with the Steelers in 2018.  In 3 games so far, 7 tackles, 7 pass deflections, 2 INTs, and a FF.  Only allowed 2 receptions for 17 yards, 0 TDs.  PFF (for people that like it), gave him a 85.9 grade so far on the season.  Plays physical man coverage.  Very aggressive.   He doesn't have the best burst, but has length and strength.

Domantre Moore, 6'4", 260lbs, age 26, DE

--Through 3 games with San Diegom has 2 sacks and leads the league in QB pressures.  He was a 3rd round pick out of Tex A&M in 2013.  His issues in the NFL were mostly maturity.  He fought with team mates, and violated the NFL Substance abuse policy in 2017.  His talent was never doubted, just his ability to be.  well.  mature.  Should he show he has grown up, he would be worth a look.

Karter Shult, 6'2", 240lbs, age 25, DE

--Through 3 games with the Salt Lake Stallions, 11 tackles, 6 tackles for loss, 4 sacks, 8 QB hits, and a forced fumble.  I believe he spent some time with the Panthers previously, but didn't play.  I think he was cut during the purging to 53 people last off season.  So he would come with some familiarity with players/defense.

While there are some QBs and RBs (Gilbert, Perez, Gardner, etc) making waves as well, I was looking most for key positions we'd need depth in.

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

Actually, Gilbert and Perez are exactly the kind of depth we need for next season. If we're smart, we never lost Gilbert's phone number...

With Heinicke and Kyle Allen, looking for a back up QB isn't high on my personal priority list.  Would an upgrade be nice?  Sure.  But between those two they showed some worthwhile play.

Depth at DE/DB is what I am most worried about.

14 minutes ago, cookinbrak said:

Who is Gilbert's LT might be a better question.

Ding ding ding! Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

I found that it was Aaron Evans, a 24-year old guy who spent a short time (four months) with Philadelphia.

I'd invite him to training camp...

Not trying to be negative, but I just haven't been motivated to watch or even care. Maybe it's seeing the scabs play when the NFL players actually striked, or maybe it was the letdown of the (first) XFL, or perhaps it's just the knowing that the likelihood is that it's headed the way of the USFL but "D league" football doesn't excite me. 

I don't know, man...Maybe the next Bobby Hebert is out there (LOL). He was decent, as were a few others...I guess it can't hurt to let some guys compete. The media will certainly keep everyone in the loop when someone from the AAF makes the NFL. I'll keep my eye on them then. 

49 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Not trying to be negative, but I just haven't been motivated to watch or even care. Maybe it's seeing the scabs play when the NFL players actually striked, or maybe it was the letdown of the (first) XFL, or perhaps it's just the knowing that the likelihood is that it's headed the way of the USFL but "D league" football doesn't excite me. 

I don't know, man...Maybe the next Bobby Hebert is out there (LOL). He was decent, as were a few others...I guess it can't hurt to let some guys compete. The media will certainly keep everyone in the loop when someone from the AAF makes the NFL. I'll keep my eye on them then. 

i would only care if raleigh got a team and i could get a fifteen dollar ticket and get hammered in the stands. i don't have the time to invest in caring about a new team.

or the emotional capital for that matter, thanks to the panthers stripping it from me over the past couple years

10 hours ago, Tepper's Chest Hair said:

With Heinicke and Kyle Allen, looking for a back up QB isn't high on my personal priority list.  Would an upgrade be nice?  Sure.  But between those two they showed some worthwhile play.

Depth at DE/DB is what I am most worried about.

The problem is with these guys is exactly what happened. They don't have the body to sustain duration of a NFL season if needed. Heineken last three quarters. That's why if we shore up the offensive line, it would make that easier to accept, plus obviously help everything else. 

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

The problem is with these guys is exactly what happened. They don't have the body to sustain duration of a NFL season if needed. Heineken last three quarters. That's why if we shore up the offensive line, it would make that easier to accept, plus obviously help everything else. 

As far as the AAF, Oline play is harder to quantify.  To me at least.  A lot of olines feel really..really..bad.  The AAF has some strict anti-blitzing rules.  Like you can't rush more than 5 people at a time, unless the play is like a play action, RPO, QB is outside of pocket, or a run.  You can't blitz if you lined up more than 5 yards off the line.  A few other ones too I think.

And DLines are regularly hassling QBs.  I am sure there are some quality OLine that will be given a chance, its just outside of my expertise to judge em when so many are just.  so bad.  Makes the entire line look meh.

17 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Actually, Gilbert and Perez are exactly the kind of depth we need for next season. If we're smart, we never lost Gilbert's phone number...

During an Apollos' game it was said that Gilbert was offered a futures contract by the Panthers but turned it down to play in the AAF. It was Andrew Siciliano from NFL Network with Steve Mariucci doing color that night.

19 hours ago, GRWatcher said:

During an Apollos' game it was said that Gilbert was offered a futures contract by the Panthers but turned it down to play in the AAF. It was Andrew Siciliano from NFL Network with Steve Mariucci doing color that night.

Well now... Might be a big money-maker for the kid if it's basically a six game audition reel. He apparently felt good about betting on himself and it sure has been paying off so far!

If you read through these rules restricting the amount of defensive pressure a team can put on a QB, you'll soon realize that any D-lineman in the AAF who is racking up numbers may be decent for the NFL. Given the fact a "blitz" can essentially be no more than 5 players...

While scanning the AAF rulebook rulebook, the following restrictions on defensive formations stood out:

(1) no more than five players may rush on passing plays;

(2) any player who aligns on the line of scrimmage either prior to or at the snap is designated as one of the five players regardless of whether he rushes;

(3) no defensive player may rush from a position more than two yards outside the widest offensive lineman and more than five yards from the line of scrimmage (they’ll call it the “defensive pressure box”);

(4) a player is deemed eligible to rush if he has both feet inside the box at the snap;

(5) no more than four players may rush from the same side of the ball;

(6) adjacent linebackers may not rush from the same side of the ball; and

(7) two or more linebackers aligned between the offensive guards may not rush.

Archived