• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Remember when Drew Bledsoe got replace by Tom Brady?

stankowalski

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Remember all the other times that a late round or UDFA guy replaced a high level starting QB and went on to put together a career that puts him in the GOAT conversation?

Oh wait... no, that's only happened once.

Remember that time we knocked Drew Bledsoe out of a game and some rookie named Romo came in and....

2 minutes ago, cookinbrak said:

Remember that time we knocked Drew Bledsoe out of a game and some rookie named Romo came in and....

Had a slightly above average career with no rings or noteworthy awards to show for it... then became a great analyst on CBS after being replaced by a better rookie?

It is said that the number one cause of disappointment is unrealistic expectations.  If Allen can continue his good play until Cam gets back, I will be very happy.  If, at that point, he can make a strong case to remain the/a starter, I will be extremely happy, regardless of who gets the nod.

But anything beyond holding the wheels on this season is setting him up for failure and us up for disappointment.

Let's wait and see what happens.

We might want to pump the brakes on the Cam being done story. Let's see how he heals up and the man really, really deserves a chance to start and reclaim his spot when he gets back. That's a no brainer. If Cam is healed up and ready to go, then there's no one like him in the league and he gives us win opportunities that no one else ever could.

That being said, if Allen gets to develop a good, long resume over the next few weeks, then we end up with a dilemma, a really nice one to have. One of Allen's greatest assets is that he is STILL developing. There's room for both guys here and a good story left to tell yet for both.

I want the guy to keep doing well, would like to not see a 4-12 season or something stupid,...

but it’s a wee bit early laddie to say such things.

now come December and we 11-5 and go into the playoffs and beat the Patriots for a Super Bowl by a field goal,. A replay of them beating the Greatest Show on Turf,..

then you may crown him

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Remember all the other times that a late round or UDFA guy replaced a high level starting QB and went on to put together a career that puts him in the GOAT conversation?

Oh wait... no, that's only happened once.

I get what you are saying, but it’s also unfair to say there hasn’t ever been a good UDFA to come in and make a great career...some even HOF. 

John Kitna 

Jake Delhomme 

Tony Romo 

Jeff Garcia 

Dave Krieg 

Kurt Warner 

Warren Moon 

They all went to the playoffs, had good careers, and were familiar names. There are more out there but it’s not unheard of. 

But I am also not going in with the expectation for Allen to lead us to a super bowl and become the next GOAT. It’s unfair to him and what he can do. 

1 hour ago, mjligon said:

Had a slightly above average career with no rings or noteworthy awards to show for it... then became a great analyst on CBS after being replaced by a better rookie?

Don't sleep on Romo. He was the QB during peak Jurrah meddling. Statistically he is the best QB in Dallas history. Not his fault they didn't put a competent team around him until his body was breaking down. Also Dak was not a better QB than Romo. So far they have played 3 teams with a collective 1 Win, and all are jockeying for a top 5 pick this season. They finally play a team with a half decent defense this week in NO. Let's see how well they do before the talk about $40 mil continues. 

22 minutes ago, Nesbro1 said:

Jake replaced  Rodney.

Who did Curt Warner replace?

I can't remember who Warren Moon replaced as he was an UDFA also.

Warner replaced Trent Green.

Warren Moon was a UDFA due to inherent racism in the NFL that didn't believe he could play QB because he was black. He always had the skills, just didn't get the opportunity due to racism. 

Archived