• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

SB nation article says you are stupid if you think there's a true QB controversy

PhillyB

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/10/14/20912474/kyle-allen-cam-newton-qb-controversy-carolina-panthers-nfl

the article in sum: if you look at kyle allen and think "wow that kid looks like a franchise quarterback" and not "wow this kid looks like a great backup, thank god we won't be tanked before getting our HOF MVP franchise quarterback healthy" you are stupid.

if you disagree you are stupid

Actually, it is not that simple. Two assumptions are made to build this theory--and these assumptions are not accurate.  Here are the corrections:

1.  Nobody is saying Kyle Allen is a franchise QB.

2. Nobody knows what Cam being healthy means or how long he stays healthy.

Aside from winning every game he has ever started (only one game was at home), not throwing an interception in his career,  and doing all he has been asked to do, what is there to like about Kyle Allen? 

Cam is 30 and his running ability is questionable.  Name a running QB in the NFL that has come close to taking the beating Cam has taken who was running effectively at age 31? 

The issue is not who is better when Cam is healthy, the issue is can Cam stay healthy and for how long?  If Kyle Allen keeps winning, do you bench him?  

Cam may be a better QB--NOBODY is arguing that--but in his current situation in his career and considering his skill set, is he a better fit?  Teams have won Super Bowls without elite QBs, but they were good for the system.  If getting the ball to skill players in stride and on time makes Allen better for the system, then there could be a controversy..  It all depends on how you look at the big picture.

There is a difference between stupid and an alternative opinion---at the moment, nobody knows what Cam means going forward or that Kyle Allen will not continue to do what he is doing---winning. 

Another article based on hypotheticals.  IF cam is healthy.  IF he can run like he did in 2015.  Should we also start comparing Allen to Bart Starr or Joe Montana? That’s about as relevant as a comparison to a player that no one knows whether we will ever see again at top form.

4 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

i'm gonna go ahead and stop you right there

So this is the premise on which you are arguing-?  Hardly a common sentiment,. but if so, I get your point.   Most of what I am reading says he has the hot hand and you don't bench him.  So if you take an extreme position and argue against all who think there could be a controversy, yeah, you win.  But if Allen keeps winning and Cam cannot run or be an elite pocket passer, both possible, how is anyone stupid for

I'm glad Allen is playing like he is. Unfortunately we have to listen to endless ridiculousness. I dont listen, watch or read any of these people so I am free to just enjoy the football. Hopefully a new hot button topic arises and they will all forget about the Panthers again.

5 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

i'm gonna go ahead and stop you right there

so your appeal to authority is a sbnation article.  nice.   haven't actually seen one person on this site say they know what kyle is yet

1 minute ago, LegioX said:

Allen is not playing like a backup (as of now). If he keeps playing at this level and Cam comes back 100% its going to be really hard to keep him as a backup. Some team will come calling.

They can call all they want. Since he was undrafted, we have his rights for at least two more years

Anyone who says that Kyle Allen is better than 2015 Cam is deluding themselves.  Fortunately, I don't think many people are.  The real question that rational people (and coaches, and front office personnel) should be asking is:  Does 2019 Kyle Allen give us a better chance to win than 2019 Cam Newton?

This is a fair and rational question that needs an answer.  I think at some point we're going to see Cam again this season.  I can't even begin to fathom a situation where Cam never takes the field again.  The bottom line is that even if we intend to trade Cam, the rest of the league NEEDS to see what they would be getting.  We need to know what we have.  If we don't see Cam again, it will definitely send a signal to the rest of the league that Cam may never be Cam again, and that's certainly the last thing we need even in a situation where we are ready to move on.

1 minute ago, LegioX said:

Allen is not playing like a backup (as of now). If he keeps playing at this level and Cam comes back 100% its going to be really hard to keep him as a backup. Some team will come calling.

Great. There is an long list of teams that traded for a great backup and didn't get a franchise QB. I know what side of the trade i want the Panthers to be on. Extra 1st? Yes please!

Archived