• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hypothetical: IF Cam is done for the year and we miss the playoffs.......

ncfan

3 hours ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

So here is what I want to see going forward.  And we don’t have to wait to miss the playoffs.  

We need to get more playing time for some players.  

Stop running CMC into the ground.  Bonnafon should get 5 touches an game and Scarlett also needs about 5 touches per game. 

Ian Thomas needs to get some reps.  Let him learn slowly and get a target or two.  

Dortch needs to return punts and get a couple snaps in the slot.  Jarius isn’t gonna last forever. 

Gaulden needs to....  wait fug that.  

See what you have with Carter in Shaqs role if game is out of reach.  Need to see if he could fill his spot if we can’t resign Shaq.  

Once the playoffs are out of reach play Grier.  We need to know exactly what we have there going into next year.  If he puts up some good tape he could be trade bait if Cam comes back next year.  If not see if we need to draft a QB.  

All of this can be implemented without going full tankathon.  Other teams find a way to play their young guys.  We like to wait until their rookie contracts are up before we try to decide what we have.  This season is gonna have to be a full team effort.  So let the young contribute to the cause.  

This is not going to happen because Ron is coaching for his job

16 hours ago, hepcat said:

Cam admitted he hid the injury from the team

I mean we all knew he was injured badly last year. Then yet again we saw when he was injured again.

Rivera being an idiot is a gigantic reason he should have been gone anyway. 

I think (maybe hope) that Rivera would be gone. Since it’s Cam’s last year of his contract, we probably stay put unless someone we really like falls to us (we have solid young talent in Allen and Grier). There is no need to draft a young guy early when we don’t know what we have in Grier and Allen has looked solid for basically a rookie. If Cam can’t recover or get back to form next year I would think that’s when the new staff decide on who they want.

16 hours ago, GoPanthers123 said:

After 0-2 missing playoffs is highly likely and NFC is strong this year.  I would evaluate Allen at the end of the season, and Ron as well.  I think Hurney stays as he is building towards long term success and does it responsibly.

Hurney needs to go to. A fresh set of eyes is needed.  Do you want Hurney picking the next coach?

Ready for wholesale changes.

New coaching

A direction (since we have no identity at the moment)

New QB (Kyle can be place holder till they are ready, don't see it being Grier)

Land on a defensive scheme and get guys who fit the scheme.  None of this hybrid crap where nobody knows what they are doing from game to game. 

Let Olsen ride off into sunset, same with Cam.

Need new QB, Center, TE and LT on offense.  I have no idea on D because we act like we can just draft any defensive player in the league and have a spot for them in our " D d'jour" sets.  This frustrates me.  Ron is not that great of a defensive minded coach to run one scheme, much less a half dozen.  I would keep Bradbury and Jackson, the rest depend on the D

Cam is done for this season and this team isn’t going to make the playoffs.  My bet is as long as they win 9  + games Rivera is going to be here next season.  Y’all want to blame Rivera for playing Cam the 1st 2 games this season, but that is on Cam for lying about the severity of his injury.  For some odd reason Cam can do no wrong in the eyes of many.  

30 minutes ago, ickmule said:

Too many nuthuggers that can’t admit Cam is as much of an issue as anyone.  

I like Cam and I think we can do worse than Rivera but I try to be as objective as possible. 

Objectivity is a lost art around here though.

4 hours ago, WarHeel said:

Yeah we really need to quit blaming Rivera for players not taking responsibility for their own self awareness. The bias is obvious.

I think it's kind of a double-edged sword.

Yes, players are going to hide injuries and you can't fault coaches for that.

On the flip side, when even the untrained eye can see if someone is obviously not right, a coach who walks around going "well he told me he was fine" looks like a dunce.

The idea that Rivera was going to get another season died with the end of the 49ers game. All teams/coaches have bad games, but I don't remember any coach surviving two such humiliating losses inside of a year and surviving. So, see ya Ron.

Cam is going to be QB1 next year IF he can prove he is still capable of being QB1. At that point, I would try to sign him to a 5-year deal, incentive laden that can be easily voided after three. Very little guaranteed money that is not tied to performance bonuses, such as number of games played, etc. If he's not capable, cut the cord. There is no QB1 on the horizon and maybe the Panthers can squeeze a year or two out of Cam while the search begins in earnest. GreensboroPirate put together a list of potential QB replacements that made me throw up in my mouth a little. 

Why would Cam sign it? Well, I don't know of that many teams who will be clamoring for a 32-year old QB with an injury history like Cams. He certainly doesn't represent the future for any aspiring team and probably doesn't become the missing puzzle piece on a championship team, either. In short, both he and the Panthers are more valuable together than apart.

Hopefully, by year 3, we have less of a decision to make. Either Cam is Cam and we pay him accordingly or Cam is not the man and he's likely retired. Either way, the emphasis needs to be on finding a replacement QB1 and not just a stop-gap wannabe.

12 minutes ago, Raleigh PF said:

The idea that Rivera was going to get another season died with the end of the 49ers game. All teams/coaches have bad games, but I don't remember any coach surviving two such humiliating losses inside of a year and surviving. So, see ya Ron.

Cam is going to be QB1 next year IF he can prove he is still capable of being QB1. At that point, I would try to sign him to a 5-year deal, incentive laden that can be easily voided after three. Very little guaranteed money that is not tied to performance bonuses, such as number of games played, etc. If he's not capable, cut the cord. There is no QB1 on the horizon and maybe the Panthers can squeeze a year or two out of Cam while the search begins in earnest. GreensboroPirate put together a list of potential QB replacements that made me throw up in my mouth a little. 

Why would Cam sign it? Well, I don't know of that many teams who will be clamoring for a 32-year old QB with an injury history like Cams. He certainly doesn't represent the future for any aspiring team and probably doesn't become the missing puzzle piece on a championship team, either. In short, both he and the Panthers are more valuable together than apart.

Hopefully, by year 3, we have less of a decision to make. Either Cam is Cam and we pay him accordingly or Cam is not the man and he's likely retired. Either way, the emphasis needs to be on finding a replacement QB1 and not just a stop-gap wannabe.

Five year deal for a guy who hasn't played a full season in a looooong time might be a bit of a stretch.

Archived