• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are we stuck with the base 3-4 because of Burns?

rodeo

1 hour ago, cmichd said:

If a RT or LT get their hands on him he doesn't have the strength to muscle or Bull Rush them back into the QB or to break free.  Well we could always use him as a gunner on Punt.

He also is a rookie.  Technique has a lot to do with that as well.  

3 minutes ago, La Pantera said:

Idk what you guys have been watching...Burns has been playing a 43 end just as much, if not more than a olb. The "switch" to a 34 def was waaay over stated. Ive come to the conclusion that most don't know what they're Looking at.

To be fair, Burns has barely been playing in any alignment.

Maybe that changes under Fewell. Don't know.

1 hour ago, bobowilson said:

Luke is going to be 29, we have to draft or develop a new quarterback and rebuild, by the time we're competitive he'll be in his mid 30s

And he's suffered many blows to the head and has other opportunities in life, I doubt he plays until his late 30s

If we're rebuilding from scratch, we can't center it around Kuechly in his 30s

As much we we all love him and what he's meant for this franchise, we should probably be looking to trade him to a team he can win a Superbowl with, and get some draft picks.  People are comfortable saying this about Cam Newton, but when it comes to Luke, suddenly it's heresy.

I kind of agree. His draft capital probably won’t be as high as it is now. He has had issues with concussions. If the return is there we might want to consider trading him and rolling with a young defense under our new coach. That being said it would have to be a good return to trade him and down the road I would love to have him on our staff. If we land a young QB like Tua I would look at trading Cam and Luke if the return is right...

For years...heck, for decades, fans have been asking when we're going to switch to a 3-4, especially since "all the good teams run a 3-4".

First season with a 3-4 in which we lose essential starters and rotational players due to injury, and now we can't switch back quick enough. 

The reality is we don't have enough quality DTs signed next season to run either. 

The next head coach will.make this decision, and we aren't hamstrung either way, as new players will be needed for either. 

What we need is a big Casey Hampton type NT. Luckily there might be one available named Derrick Brown. Marvin Wilson is another option but he’s shooting up draft boards.

Another thing to keep in mind is if we do hire Caserio or Colbert they may bring some reinforcements in from their former team like Danny Shelton, Kyle Van Noy, Javon Hargrave  and Bud Dupree.

Archived