• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Slow

Ship

People may say I'm being ridiculous posting this on the Tuesday following the last game of the season, but I disagree. I've heard competitive advantage as a reason for our actions this season and I'm not seeing it.

We're moving slow in this coach search. We fired Ron several weeks ago to get a leg up and competitive advantage and what has that gotten us? 2 college coach rejections and 2 meetings with McCarthy. We've got the Chiefs OC scheduled for tomorrow, apparently interest in Rhule and McDaniels but no scheduled interviews. Why? What about the other coordinators? We don't even have a report of Fewell getting an interview yet and he's sitting down the hall. All the teams that just fired their coaches yesterday are right there with us by the end of this week. I'm sorry, but that's lame as hell. Who's even helping Tepper do this search? Glick- who may know soccer but knows fug all about football?? Hurney is the only other guy and maybe some head scouts. I'm sorry, but it's basically the Tepper show. He could have just kept his mouth shut and done his own research on coaches the rest of the year and not hurt Ron's feelings and we'd be in the same place as we are now with a happier locker room. 

Also, with the Del Rio hire, we're also looking at competition for our coordinator spots. Lets not forget earlier this year people were saying this would be a weak head coaching talent pool. If we fug this up by being slow and get a second choice in a shitty year that's on Tepper.

I can't say anything that has happened lately has inspired any confidence in the near future of this team.

While I agree to some extent that we are going a little slow . . . I'm not so sure it's wrong.

First off, we don't know everything that's been discussed.  We aren't privy to phone calls that happen behind the scenes.  There may be a lot of discussion happening that we and the "insiders" just don't know about.

Secondly, the quickest way to ensure continued failure is to get this choice wrong.  It's entirely possible that the guys we want to talk to are on teams that are still playing.

It just means so far we are wide open or the one we have on a wish list is not available. I'm OK with that part.

I'm more worried about why the current staff hasn't been terminated and allowed to go test the waters. My biggest worry won't be answered till after the draft, it's going to be a long offseason for sure. Hopefully we make a great coach hire so we can have a positive in a long line of negatives. 

We're interviewing Eric Bieniemy two days from now.

Matt Rhule has let it be known he's not in any hurry, and the general belief is we're not his first choice anyway.

As far as McDaniels, we don't really have a choice. Can't interview him until the Patriots are out of the playoffs.

The slow pace is not necessarily deliberate.

Do you think they are making a major announcement about every interview,  or discussion? Some of you blow my mind on  your expectations. The only thing we are waiting on right now is the coaches on playoff teams to interview and then an announcement will be made quick after. Only one team has made a hire, and that’s because Rivera has been available for 4 weeks. Step back from the ledge and go back to huffing canned air. 

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't care if we go fast, I just want to get this hire right. Botching this one virtually guarantees years of utter futility.

I care about going fast because it ensures we pick our coach out of the widest pool available instead of a shrinking pool that other teams didn't want. We've already had time to be thinking about this, it should be more direct at this point and not having McCarthy over again because he surprised us.

1 minute ago, Ship said:

I care about going fast because it ensures we pick our coach out of the widest pool available instead of a shrinking pool that other teams didn't want. We've already had time to be thinking about this, it should be more direct at this point and not having McCarthy over again because he surprised us.

Don't assume that the media/fans know all the conversations ongoing here, especially when it comes to college coaches.  Those guys want to limit distractions for their teams and are trying to avoid discussions right now while they plan for their next game. 

Archived