• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It's clear now that Tepper saw Rivera as the Problem.

Snake

3 hours ago, FeelTheBurns53 said:

What ever happened to Marty 2.0? Almost all you guys were singing the dudes praises all offseason of what a fantastic job he did managing the cap, bringing in timely free agents at key positions and not reaching in the draft. 

So the Panthers go 5-11 and all of a sudden Marty sucks?

Loll

He was doing well but he is slowly showing his true colors. The Shaq contract was a sign he’s coming back. He was already on a short leash. The Olsen extension and KK restructures were little inklings of classic Hurney moves, but the Shaq contract just shows he’s back.

You can’t instantly criticize these moves until later...when 5-11 is the result and are cap strapped to two lbs, a TE who hasn’t seen the field in two year with no replacement, and STILL an oline who was not invested properly in (Paradis, Little - though still too early for Little).

Now god forbid you have Bradberry very open about top 5 money when he’s a top 15-20 CB and again we have no replacement. 

Players love Hurney and they’re starting to feel real comfortable getting paid and then disappearing off the face of the earth. Sure seems it is becoming the norm for the Panthers.

4 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

What extended power?  Seems that he has the same power most GM's have, and he has had for while.  

It has been said he would be given extra power what that power is no one knows. Still it seems he is negotiating contracts and that alludes to a overall idea of what Tepper wants this team to look like. We don't even have a coach and we don't know his ideas. One can allude that Hurney 2.1 will be in total control of the roster while the coaches job will be to develop the players. I think that's exactly why Rivera was fired. His staff didn't develop players like Burns, Jackson, and Allen. More just using older players to fill those positions. That's my best guess though. 

1 hour ago, onmyown said:

He was doing well but he is slowly showing his true colors. The Shaq contract was a sign he’s coming back. He was already on a short leash. The Olsen extension and KK restructures were little inklings of classic Hurney moves, but the Shaq contract just shows he’s back.

You can’t instantly criticize these moves until later...when 5-11 is the result and are cap strapped to two lbs, a TE who hasn’t seen the field in two year with no replacement, and STILL an oline who was not invested properly in (Paradis, Little - though still too early for Little).

Now god forbid you have Bradberry very open about top 5 money when he’s a top 15-20 CB and again we have no replacement. 

Players love Hurney and they’re starting to feel real comfortable getting paid and then disappearing off the face of the earth. Sure seems it is becoming the norm for the Panthers.

Shaq might be a sign that Luke is not going to be resigned. Especially with how they chose to pay him. Luke looked frustrated and might get traded if that's the case. Not a popular decision but if he can't succeed in the 3-4 it might be best for both parties. I would expect Rivera and the skins to make a move for him as well. With Del Rio running what most people think will be a 4-3.

2 hours ago, Billy Love said:

The Armanti Edwards experiment is all i need to know about Hurney being a great talent evaluator. 

Armanti Edwards had a much better career than the 2nd round pick the Patriots used in the trade we made for him (Ras-I Dowling

Imagine saying Ras Dowling was all you needed to know that Bill Belichick was incompetent

2 hours ago, tiger7_88 said:

I don’t understand how some of you find this a convincing argument.

Tepper: ”I know, I’ll let the guy I ultimately intend to demote (or fire) to hire the new coach, negotiate some fresh burdensome contract extensions, and run yet another draft! That’s totally the best move I can make!  Then I’ll get a new GM that DIDN’T participate in the process to hire the new coach to be the new coach’s boss! GENIUS!”

This in spades.

5 hours ago, WarPanthers89 said:

He had to make the change. Even with “all the injuries” to our defense, we still had two solid safeties, above average corners (one who is about to be paid top dollar in league average), two of the best linebackers in the game, Gerald McCoy who was considered one of the better DTs is the league, former pro bowler Poe for the majority of the year, Addison who averages 9+ sacks year in and year out, one of the more promising rookies in the league in Burns, and Bruce Irvin. All that talent and we had literally one of the worst defenses in the league this year...Historically bad against the run. It was embarrassing and that alone was enough to move on from Ron. That’s his “strength” and we continued to get worse.

Whether he wore out his welcome, got stale, soft or whatever, you are right that sometimes you just have to make a change. Because 7-9 and 5-7 aren't okay when they include long losing streaks and no sign of positive change. Losing to Washington was the all time low point. Rivera is a good coach but for us he wasn't winning and in the end that is the bottom line. Most disappointing considering the talent we had. I only hope the new coach is an upgrade.  McDaniels doesn't thrill me at this point and McCarthy had Farve and Rodgers.

I agree that Rivera was a big problem and should be fired, but the idea that we have bunch of talent is erroneous imo... and for one sinple reason... No QB... that changes it all...can't win with a back up in this league... people pointed to Pittsburgh and Indianapolis as a way of condemning Rivera, but those quarterbackless teams ended up doing what all quarterbackless teams do in the end... collapse. You cant say this is a QB driven offensive league and then turn around and say that a coach should be able to win with a backup quarterback...

27 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Whether he wore out his welcome, got stale, soft or whatever, you are right that sometimes you just have to make a change. Because 7-9 and 5-7 aren't okay when they include long losing streaks and no sign of positive change. Losing to Washington was the all time low point. Rivera is a good coach but for us he wasn't winning and in the end that is the bottom line. Most disappointing considering the talent we had. I only hope the new coach is an upgrade.  McDaniels doesn't thrill me at this point and McCarthy had Farve and Rodgers.

yea...we need something innovative and not cookie cutter... but that will come with a risk of possible failure and languishing in mediocrity ...which is where we are now...so...

3 hours ago, tiger7_88 said:

I don’t understand how some of you find this a convincing argument.

Tepper: ”I know, I’ll let the guy I ultimately intend to demote (or fire) to hire the new coach, negotiate some fresh burdensome contract extensions, and run yet another draft! That’s totally the best move I can make!  Then I’ll get a new GM that DIDN’T participate in the process to hire the new coach to be the new coach’s boss! GENIUS!”

Stockholm Syndrome. The fact is he will be here for quite a while and we are not looking for a GM. 

By his own statement, Rivera said he planned to be here 8-10 years when he interviewed with Richardson.  He correctly understood that 8-10 years is about the shelf life of even successful coaches before the message and methods yield diminishing returns.  So, his demise here was inevitable, and he correctly called it years before.

I agree that the switch in defensive schemes was desperate.  I said in another thread we did not do that from a position of strength. 

That said, he will probably give the Redskin organization stability, something it desperately needs.  I don't know that some common relative of Belichick, Walsh, Parcells, Landry, and Lombardi can bring that organization sustained success.

But, Rivera was not the only problem.  Last year exposed several big weaknesses on our roster, none the least of which was no experienced backup to a QB whose health/recovery/longevity was in question.  We ended last season with two guys with a total of 3 years experience, including the 2 years they got last year, and this year we entered the season with two guys that had a total of 1 year experience between them.  And, the foreseeable happened, albeit earlier than anyone thought.  In other words, we had a vulnerability and we didn't try to address it. 

I see a lot of work to be done on this roster.  Between guys not living up to expectations, free agents that we rented for a one-year run that never happened, and guys that frankly quit when Rivera was sent packing, it is not pretty.  Even if Cam comes back and answers the questions, the trenches of this team are in sad shape and the defense is a mess of players better in different schemes.

All of that is on the GM.

Archived