• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Which HC candidate do you trust more to adapt, adjust, and evolve more?

rayzor

5 hours ago, top dawg said:

McDaniels, offensively anyway, I guess. The problem is that quality defenses took a nosedive as soon as he became HC.

I just think it's generally hard to know what a guy is going to be like until he's in the fire.

The Broncos were 28th and 30th in points allowed the 2 years before McDaniels took over, then were 12th in points allowed in his 1st season.  Yards allowed went from 19th and 29th down to 7th under McDaniels.

I wouldn't put too much stock beyond the early results because we all know the team quit on him and the second part of his tenure was an absolute dumpster fire. LOL

What continues to concern me about McDaniels are two things:

1.  NE coaches and players all tend to be "less effective" away from that environment.

2.  For McDaniels in particular, having the GOAT QB can really make a lot of (*@#$ work that a less accomplished QB would simply flounder trying to implement.

5 hours ago, rayzor said:

First, great question.  Second, the lack of adjustments is what drove me crazy about RR.  Here is what I like about this one adjustment:

1. He used data (44 plays at half) to influence his mid-game decision.  Do not know why the author mentioned Adam Levine being shirtless during this time, other than he may need to do some soul searching in a quest to find his true self. This suggests that McD was aware of the fatigue factor and that he would be patient and wait for the right time to adjust.  He was playing chess.

2. He was empowered by the best coach in the league to make the adjustment.  If BB trusts you that much, it says something.

3. He knew what to do and he communicated that to his players.  Note that he was talking to them at halftime and again on the sideline about strategy.  Communication.

Maybe it is easy with Brady, but Brady didn't just suddenly start playing when McD gave the OK---

This changes my opinion of McD. Maybe McC needs a McD.

According to the article I previously posted, those of you/us who want Hurney gone might want Josh McD more if you realize that (it sounds like) he will be negotiating to bring his own GM.  If Tepper likes McD, that could push Tep to move Hurney to another position.  Stay tuned.

This is an excerpt from The Athletic article being discussed in the "four candidates" thread. It's a quote from an NFL personnel executive.

Veteran personnel executive: “The thing McDaniels does better than anybody that he doesn’t get enough credit for — yes, he has Tom Brady — but he’s willing and able and understands that he needs to play to the strengths of what they have on offense. That’s the difference between the New England style and basically every other style. The Andy Reid tree is gonna come in and, by and large, they’re gonna run their system. Whether it’s Matt Nagy, Eric Bieniemy, (Doug) Pederson, Frank Reich — Frank’s a little different because he’s got a little bit more influence from other people and other systems.

“But by and large it’s a system and the pieces fit in the system, whereas McDaniels is gonna come in and say: ‘OK, what do we have? OK, we have Christian McCaffrey. Well, he can be James White. He can be a little bit of (Julian) Edelman and we’ll fit the pieces around this and then we’ll fit the pieces around these receivers.’ And he’s gonna make it work. I think that’s the one advantage McDaniels has that I’ve always appreciated.”

4 hours ago, MHS831 said:

According to the article I previously posted, those of you/us who want Hurney gone might want Josh McD more if you realize that (it sounds like) he will be negotiating to bring his own GM.  If Tepper likes McD, that could push Tep to move Hurney to another position.  Stay tuned.

Here's the rub that I really don't understand. We are asking a guy to make a hiring decision that may result in his firing? That's why you start with a clean slate. 

Doesn't matter if you think a guy like McDaniels is the best pick or not. If he was, hands down, the best possible pick as HC, but the catch was for him to have the most success he would want to have his own guy as GM and he had enough clout to say "I'll only go on my terms"... Would you want a guy involved in the hiring process be one that would be adversely affected by the hire? Could you trust his ability to be ibjective?

It's like asking congress to vote for term limits and a pay cut. As much as you'd like to think they'd act in the best interest of the group of people they work for, their main interest is always going to be self preservation. It just isn't going to happen.

24 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Here's the rub that I really don't understand. We are asking a guy to make a hiring decision that may result in his firing? That's why you start with a clean slate. 

Doesn't matter if you think a guy like McDaniels is the best pick or not. If he was, hands down, the best possible pick as HC, but the catch was for him to have the most success he would want to have his own guy as GM and he had enough clout to say "I'll only go on my terms"... Would you want a guy involved in the hiring process be one that would be adversely affected by the hire? Could you trust his ability to be ibjective?

It's like asking congress to vote for term limits and a pay cut. As much as you'd like to think they'd act in the best interest of the group of people they work for, their main interest is always going to be self preservation. It just isn't going to happen.

Pat Kirwan tells the story of when he was with the Jets doing a head coaching search, and it became clear to them that Bill Parcells was the best man for the job, but knowing that all of them would be fired if he came on board.

In the salary cap era, the Patriots ever evolving "style of play" is the correct way to do it.

They seem to really look at their returning personnel, salary cap ramifications, and league directions at the end of each season and figure out what they need to do to take advantage of those particular pieces.

It's pretty remarkable to be honest, but Bill has so much football knowledge that he can do it that way, not sure many other coaches have the football dictionary floating around in their heads like Bill does. 

Wonder if McD has learned everything?

7 hours ago, WarPanthers89 said:

McDaniels hands down:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nesn.com/2019/08/do-your-job-part-iii-places-spotlight-on-bill-belichick-josh-mcdaniels-relationship/amp/

Nearly two decades later, Belichick essentially gives McDaniels free rein to craft the Patriots’ offensive scheme as he sees fit.

“I give him a little bit of input, but 90 to 95 percent is his plan, his vision,” Belichick says. “Rarely do we see things that differently. But sometimes there will be things that I suggest. Sometimes he’ll say, ‘I think that would be great,’ and sometimes he’ll say, ‘I don’t really think this is the right time for us to do that. Here’s the reason why.’ And he’s usually right.”

McDaniels does call the majority of the plays but it’s still Belichick who installs the weekly game plan, it’s Belichick who designed the offense in the offseason , and unlike Rivera you can actually see Belichick calling and changing plays on offense when the game is going on.

Archived