• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Offense

Squirrel

2 hours ago, Squirrel said:

So someone explain to me the offense we plan to run next season?  Is it the spread offense, the air raid or will we run a pro style?

We're gonna run a hybrid version incorporating elements of all 3.

It'll go good with the hybrid 4-3/3-4 defense.

If Brady brings the LSU offense here it will be a complete reversal from historical Rivera heavy run first game plan.  It resembles the change from Les Miles to Ed Ogeron.  No FBs, empty backfields with 5 WRs, fewer TEs. Best description is....https://www.si.com/college/2019/09/17/lsu-spread-offense-joe-burrow-ed-orgeron

I suspect that it will need to be adjusted for the NFL , but he was not brought here  overall philosophy.

7 hours ago, trueblade said:

My understanding (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong), is its a version of the WCO. The big key is getting 5 eligible out on every play. It requires a quarterback who can quickly get through his reads and make an accurate throw. It's based on the idea you don't have to beat all 11 guys on defense, you just have to beat one. Find the mismatch and get the ball out of your hands.

Payton cut his teeth as an OC in a Giants system that's tended to run an Erhardt-Perkins but what he's run in New Orleans has used WCO concepts as well.  It's kinda hard to classify, but it works.

As to Brady, he was asked about the offensive scheme today and this was his answer:

Creating a custom scheme

Instead of trying to fit the Panthers' offense into a predetermined scheme he established at LSU or during his days in New Orleans, Brady is coming to Carolina with the same approach that brought him success at his past stops.

"We found what our players did well, and we put them in position to have success," Brady said. "We weren't just running plays to run plays. We were looking to find out what our guys do well, and that takes time."

After just a handful of days on the job, Brady said he wasn't familiar enough with the team yet to identify what those strengths were, but that they would be identified over time during OTAs, minicamp and training camp.

"Our system is going to be what our players do best," Brady said. "I think that changes year to year, I think that changes based upon what you have."

That means adapting on the fly sometimes based on which players are available and on which plays, but to Brady, the most important thing is making the most of what you have.

"At the end of the day, it's all about a vision that you have for your players," Brady said. "Each person on your roster, on your offense, you should have a vision for an they all have to play a role. When you can find guys that fit the vision and understand their role, that's when I think you have success."

Brady's ever-changing approach to his offensive schemes goes hand in hand with how he described the NFL and football as a whole.

"The game evolves every year. As a play caller, as a coach, you have to evolve," Brady said. "There's no such thing as a bad idea right now, so let's work towards creating a system that we feel proud of."

Panthers.com

1 hour ago, sml1950 said:

If Brady brings the LSU offense here it will be a complete reversal from historical Rivera heavy run first game plan.  It resembles the change from Les Miles to Ed Ogeron.  No FBs, empty backfields with 5 WRs, fewer TEs. Best description is....https://www.si.com/college/2019/09/17/lsu-spread-offense-joe-burrow-ed-orgeron

I suspect that it will need to be adjusted for the NFL , but he was not brought here  overall philosophy.

We were much more heavily skewed towards the pass this year than LSU.

Run Passs.PNG

8 hours ago, Prowler2019 said:

Based on some of the things I've seen and read, I can understand why the team MAY be moving on from Cam. This offense is going to require a QB with a good degree of accuracy, which has never been Cam's strong suit. Even when you go back to games played in 2015, a career year for Cam to date, his accuracy was inconsistent at best. While mobility is certainly an asset, the QB's accuracy will be critically important in Joe Brady's offense if it's going to succeed.

Well said and Cam has only had one year his comp% was in the 60s. It's been known for awhile Cam is super inconsistent. 

18 hours ago, Squirrel said:

So someone explain to me the offense we plan to run next season?  Is it the spread offense, the air raid or will we run a pro style?

As best as I've gathered, it's undecided. I believe the priority right now is completing the hiring of the coaching staff, at least on the offensive side. Next they'll talk with players and watch film. Then probably make or at least have a better idea of a base offense going into OTA's and Training Camp. Then of course based on what they see,  they'll alter the base or change it all together to fit different skill sets. 

6 hours ago, rayzor said:

From listening to what they are talking about doing, the answer is D) All of the above.

I'm seeing something that adapts to who we have and who we're playing. It won't be just one philosophy. 

That is what every offensive coordinator says when they come in. Invariably they end up drafting guys who fit their system and not guys who are great players that require the OC to change systems from year to year.

He will take advantage of our players strengths. Both of em.

Joking

CMC is a good runner, great in space and a good pass receiver

DJ is often described as a RB once the ball is in his hands

Curtis is fast with spotty hands

Ian has untapped potential.  I think we could have used him a lot more.

Look for Joe to design around these strengths.  Suffice to say, he does not have a ton to work with

Archived