• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Offense

Squirrel

1 hour ago, Squirrel said:

So someone explain to me the offense we plan to run next season?  Is it the spread offense, the air raid or will we run a pro style?

Based on some of the things I've seen and read, I can understand why the team MAY be moving on from Cam. This offense is going to require a QB with a good degree of accuracy, which has never been Cam's strong suit. Even when you go back to games played in 2015, a career year for Cam to date, his accuracy was inconsistent at best. While mobility is certainly an asset, the QB's accuracy will be critically important in Joe Brady's offense if it's going to succeed.

2 hours ago, Squirrel said:

So someone explain to me the offense we plan to run next season?  Is it the spread offense, the air raid or will we run a pro style?

My understanding (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong), is its a version of the WCO. The big key is getting 5 eligible out on every play. It requires a quarterback who can quickly get through his reads and make an accurate throw. It's based on the idea you don't have to beat all 11 guys on defense, you just have to beat one. Find the mismatch and get the ball out of your hands.

Sean Payton first began to develop his version of the West Coast offense (which uses names for the routes and numbers for the protections) under Jon Gruden as an assistant with the Philadelphia Eagles. -

Gun Flex Right Stack 394 Dragon Smoke Kill Turbo Sucker Right is on the longer end of the Saints' playcalls. But Brees said it's pretty common -- especially since they like to call so many two-play packages in the huddle instead of the classic technique of audibling at the line of scrimmage and trying to yell information across the field.

So what does it all mean? Here's the breakdown, courtesy of one of the most dynamic offensive duos in NFL history:

Gun Flex Right Stack: That's the formation. "Gun" means Brees is in the shotgun. "Flex" means the Y receiver is flexed out a little bit from the line of scrimmage. And "Stack" means the two receivers on Brees' left side are essentially stacked on top of each other in the slot.

394: That's the protection. The "3" signifies that it's a three-step drop, which Brees said tells the offensive line to be "quick and aggressive." And the "94" signifies a max protection, so everyone should be able to block long enough to at least get the ball off on a pass play.

Dragon Smoke: That's a route concept -- in this case a quick pass designed to beat a blitz. Payton said the receivers would know whether to run a "drag" route or a "smoke" route based on the look the defense is giving or the game situation. The routes are where these names usually get most creative -- like Moore's "speed smash" to the corner of the end zone in the Super Bowl. Or "Harvey" or "Hank" or "Henry" (variations that all signify a hook route).

Kill: That's the key to this play -- the word that signifies Brees is calling two possible plays in the huddle. If he yells, "Kill!, Kill!, Kill!" before the snap, he's switching to the second play (which he did on Ingram's touchdown run).

Turbo Sucker Right: That's the run play Brees switched to when he saw the defense giving the look he wanted. "Turbo" means the Z receiver went in motion from the left side to the right side. And "Sucker" means it's a misdirection play that looks like Brees might hand off to the Z receiver on a jet sweep as he comes across. Instead, Brees hands the ball to Ingram, who runs up the middle between the right guard and the right tackle.

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-orleans-saints/post/_/id/30235/class-in-session-sean-payton-drew-brees-teach-nfl-lingo-101

Archived