• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Olsen release wasn't mutual

bigpoppa

1 hour ago, stirs said:

Yep, mentioned it in one of the multiple Olsen threads.

You can tell these things.

I mean, come on...

"Hey Greg, I just want you to know that rather than pay you several million dollars to play, we're going to cut you and pay your nothing. You're good with this, right?"

"Oh yes. I'm very glad to hear this. I was going to come in and suggest it myself if you didn't." :Eyes_Emoji_42x42:

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

I mean, come on...

"Hey Greg, I just want you to know that rather than pay you several million dollars to play, we're going to cut you and pay your nothing. You're good with this, right?"

"Oh yes. I'm very glad to hear this. I was going to come in and suggest it myself if you didn't." :Eyes_Emoji_42x42:

The "mutual" part lasted until the official release.

Probably hoped he would retire, but with Hurney, not sure the cap implications

7 minutes ago, stirs said:

The "mutual" part lasted until the official release.

Probably hoped he would retire, but with Hurney, not sure the cap implications

When the season ended, Olsen talked like he wanted to keep playing. After Kobe Bryant died, his tweet made it sound like he'd flipped and was seriously looking at retirement. It's reasonable to think the Panthers might have believed that too.

Then came the news of the "mutual" parting of ways...

4 hours ago, Riverboat Ron said:

Truth is, even as much as I like and respect Olsen, giving him his last contract was a mistake. We have a tendency to hold onto old and injured guys out of respect and slow the development of replacements like Shaq Thompson and Ian Thomas. 

Bingo. What a whiny bitch. Pay him what 40 million the last 3 years for a single, somewhat decent season last season. He’s borderline as bad as Kalil and siphoning teams for money and collecting his farewell check he went and complain to Hurney about almost the exact minute Gettle was out and he was rehired lol. I liked Olsen in the beginning but he’s cooked and never should’ve been extended. Same with KK. Thought the same of TD when it happened but I was wrong. Still typical bullshit Hurney moves.

Not surprised by this considering he said he wanted to go to a contender and then saw the Redskins on his list to consider.  Maybe he was just saying they contacted him and have to see where he does end up ... but if the Skins he wasn’t mutually leaving here to chase a ring in Washington 

The reporting came from Greg's own words:

"Today, I had the opportunity to sit down with (general manager) Marty Hurney and have a great conversation regarding my future with the organization. The team and I are both on the same page that it is best we go in different directions for now. On the field, I will always cherish the nine seasons we shared together. The wins, the losses, standing at midfield holding the Halas Trophy as NFC champs. The reality of going to the Super Bowl was beyond words, as was the disappointment of falling short."

Archived