• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

(NFL News) Dak Prescott Turns Down $33 Million Annually

Mr Mojo Risin

2 minutes ago, Ship said:

It would be cool to see a franchise try to flip a QB every 5 years after their rookie deal ends if they are successful (obviously cut them earlier if they aren't or won't be). Either trade or let them walk, but draft their replacement each time and just devote all money to the rest of the team. I wonder how well they'd do.

Welp, if they wanna pull that off then they better have the greatest evaluator of college talent in a generation.... 

hmmm???

3 minutes ago, CBDellinger said:

That’s prob like half the league if we’re being real.  

I wouldn't go as high as half, but there's definitely more than just Jones (the Brown family comes to mind; probably the Spanos family too).

I think the more common sort is the Jim Haslam / Daniel Snyder type owner who genuinely wants to win but just has no frigging idea how to do it.

Pretty sure that was Richardson. Starting to worry that Tepper might be too.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I wouldn't go as high as half, but there's definitely more than just Jones (the Brown family comes to mind; probably the Spanos family too).

I think the more common type is the Jim Haslam / Daniel Snyder type owner who genuinely wants to win but just has no frigging idea how to do it.

Pretty sure that was Richardson. Starting to worry that Tepper might be too.

I think fans care a lot more about winning than the owners do. 

Darin Gantt said something like this... Every time you hear or read the word ‘fan’ from the nfl or an nfl team, replace it with ‘customer’ and see how it makes you feel.  

The NFL is incredibly good at making us feel like our fandom means something... but in terms of $$$ it’s like rooting for Levi jeans.  Haha!!

Isnt it funny that everytime the Cowboys are losing the PR campaign, suddenly negative reports about the player start coming out in the Dallas papers? Most of the rumors I've heard are that the numbers were agreed to, but Jerry wanted control for 6 to 8 years. Dak, wanted to try to cash in after a 4 yr contract to see if he could get a second major deal after the salary cap had expanded and guys like Mahomes set the market. Having said all of that, NFL salaries are getting ridiculous and even though the league is printing money, sooner or later they may price fans out.

3 hours ago, BigSyke said:

That's if those draft picks and fa pan out. I remember seeing teams with 10 plus draft picks(many in the 1-3 rounds) like browns and still are terrible. I remember Bucs making big FA splashes and still not making playoffs.

A lot of this stuff sounds good in theory and on paper until its in action on the field.

We'll see but its all a gamble in the end, no matter which way you go.

Agreed. It’s a gamble regardless. You could have 4 first round picks and blow them all, but I’d rather have more ammo than less. If Mahomes blows the doors open on QB rates then I’m way more inclined to tank and hope because it will get us a haul in 2021 and a nice cap position. We still need to draft well this year too. 3 top 70 picks better net us 3 starters without thinking about any Cam trade picks.

Several things to consider here. 

First, like anyone else, you want to get as much money as you can while you are healthy.  On that count, you cannot blame anyone for asking top dollar.

Secondly, Dak has had probably the best line in football and has probably benefited from it as far as his performance.  If they pay him too much, then some of the other players will look for their own pot at the end of the rainbow because the Cowboys won't be able to pay everybody.

Third, I think Wentz has done more with less than Goff or Dak.

Fourth, I despise Jerry Jones

Yea I mean ideally you draft a good QB and pay them squat while they are young.

That's a hard situation to get yourself into, and even harder to replicate.

Even average QBs command these insane numbers because if you don't have a starting caliber quarterback in the NFL, you usually don't win games.  See the 2019 Panthers as a reference.

Archived