• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

nj.com ran a completely speculative piece on tom brady coming to carolina

frash.exe

fug off nj.com

https://www.nj.com/jets/2020/02/nfl-rumors-nj-native-ready-to-throw-millions-at-patriots-tom-brady.html

Can’t shake the thought that the Panthers are a dark-horse team for Brady. It’s hard seeing him want to play in Charlotte, but Panthers could use a QB, they could use some buzz, and mega-billionaire owner David Tepper gets what he wants (big $$$ for Matt Rhule and OC Joe Brady)

Tepper, you may remember is a former New Jersey resident who lived here for more than two decades before moving to Florida in 2016. It was Tepper who used his billions (yes, billions) to steal Matt Rhule from the Giants last month, giving the Baylor head coach a ridiculous seven-year, $62 million contract, which is crazy money for someone with no head coaching experience in the NFL.

Brady going to Carolina would also signal the end of Cam Newton’s run with the Panthers. Truthfully, Newton could be done in Charlotte regardless of where Brady signs. The 30-year-old Newton missed most of the 2019 season with a foot injury, had surgery in December and has a $21.1 million cap hit this season.

“Listen, I’m not a doctor,” said Tepper, via David Newton of ESPN. “I said it a million times, is he healthy? He’s not a doctor, so there’s a lot of different things can happen. But first is he healthy? Tell me that and then we can talk.”

i don’t know where to start, maybe that bullshit title right off the bat. news sites like this are always stretching for a relevant piece of content, so their angle is basically “hey all this brady buzz is getting us clicks, how do we keep the gravy train going? maybe publish this speculative take with no legs from some idiot at the boston globe, also this panthers owner guy lived in new jersey for a few years once so it’s newsworthy!” i wouldn’t be surprised if their next article about this mysterious panthers owner explores whether he calls it pork roll or taylor ham. 

secondly, if cam newton’s injury concerns are that bad that you’d be willing to cut or trade him and move on, replacing him with a 43 year old quarterback is like the dumbest subsequent action you can possibly commit. brady is probably the greatest QB of all time, but he’s really only played in one system his entire career, and if you put him behind a line of guys that can’t protect him and our offense is drastically different from the one belichick runs, he is going to take one hit and shatter like a test tube in a freshman chem lab.

then there’s the point that the current feeling within the organization is that we’re entering a rebuild mode. you don’t usually throw big money at a veteran QB from another organization if you’re rebuilding, and there’s really no point from a veteran QB’s perspective to go play for a team just starting to get into a complete rebuild.

2 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

How do these people have jobs writing garbage like this. It makes absolutely zero sense on either side. We are one of the last teams that should be linked to Brady. It is more likely that Kelvin Benjamin comes back and wins NFL MVP than Brady coming to Carolina.

The lion's share of the speculation is by the writer of the article (not someone I'm that familiar with) but he's basing the speculation on the word of a very solid reporter, Ben Volin.

Now with that said, Volin is just spitballing here and I disagree with the logic.

If you check Volin's Twitter though, you'll also see this:

17 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

I can't imagine a worse landing spot than the Panthers for Brady.

No kidding. Why would he ever want to go to a rebuild? The only way he cements (not that it isn’t already) is going to a real contender and getting a title. Personally, I don’t see him going anywhere.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The lion's share of the speculation is by the writer of the article (not someone I'm that familiar with) but he's basing the speculation on the word of a very solid reporter, Ben Volin.

Now with that said, Volin is just spitballing here and I disagree with the logic.

If you check Volin's Twitter though, you'll also see this:

You notice he starts rubbing his ear when he answers if Cam wants to leave, and if he thinks we keep him. I’m not a conspiracy theorist but body language is always telling in situations like that when being interviewed.

Archived