• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Vernon Butler Should Be Resigned

shaq

15 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Agree. Someone is going to drastically overpay him and get burned.

Butler was already getting paid about $2.1M last season.  He and his agent knows exactly what his stats last year were and will shove that in the face of any perspective suitors.  So if anyone thinks he's going to settle for anywhere in neighborhood $2M-3M range is crazy.  He'll only take that if the market isn't there, but trust me, he will overplay his hand and probably still get some team to bite.

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

I'm not saying we don't fill his void if he leaves, I'm just saying it can be done cheaper and probably for similar career production.  My point is whether it's here or elsewhere, I seriously doubt Butler can/will replicate last year's production going off his body of work prior to then. Similar results can be found cheaper and with less years in case it is just a transition FA player during the rebuild.  

I concur.

2 minutes ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

I dont think we have enough draft picks to draft 3 new DTs. I'd bring him back unless we can find better value in a different FA

That's my whole point.  Folks are acting like if he leaves there's nobody that can fill his spot.  Let's see, Butlers a FA and I'm talking about signing a FA...just a different one. One that's just cheaper and on a short-term deal.  

If folks want to hitch their wagon to Butler for the long-term, more power to them, but that's exactly what is going to happen if Butler re-signs here; it will be a commitment. This idea of a 1-year 'prove-it' deal or a home team friendly deal is pure wishful thinking.  Butler will shoot for the stars and only settle for less if/when he has to.

3 hours ago, joeyxfresco said:

Screen-Shot-2019-12-22-at-2.39.34-PM-832

Need his gritty attitude on the line. Everyone else was checked out and Butler was giving it his all and still emotionally invested into the season. 

Agreed. I thought it was so funny how people in the game thread were giving him crap for having too much emotion in that game. We lost 38-6 to a Colts team that sucked after losing Brissett. Everyone, besides him, Moore and CMC, would have rather been done with the season already.

He’s a guy who put on the right team could blossom. Not sure how much he wants and if we’ve already said goodbye but I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see him do really well somewhere else.

3 hours ago, joeyxfresco said:

Need his gritty attitude on the line. Everyone else was checked out and Butler was giving it his all and still emotionally invested into the season. 

My only problem with this is he didn’t go with the double bird. I like how he looked the person right in their face as well. 

11 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Agreed. I thought it was so funny how people in the game thread were giving him crap for having too much emotion in that game. We lost 38-6 to a Colts team that sucked after losing Brissett. Everyone, besides him, Moore and CMC, would have rather been done with the season already.

He’s a guy who put on the right team could blossom. Not sure how much he wants and if we’ve already said goodbye but I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see him do really well somewhere else.

His emotion there was from pure embarrassment.  He got pile-driven into the ground, popped up and took a swing at a guy, the wrong one no less.  His ego was bruised.  Granted he gave effort the whole season while some obviously didn't, but that game the raw emotion came from getting punked in a stadium full of people and on national TV.

36 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

That's my whole point.  Folks are acting like if he leaves there's nobody that can fill his spot.  Let's see, Butlers a FA and I'm talking about signing a FA...just a different one. One that's just cheaper and on a short-term deal.  

If folks want to hitch their wagon to Butler for the long-term, more power to them, but that's exactly what is going to happen if Butler re-signs here; it will be a commitment. This idea of a 1-year 'prove-it' deal or a home team friendly deal is pure wishful thinking.  Butler will shoot for the stars and only settle for less if/when he has to.

I haven't really looked at FAs but is there anyone specific as to what you're referencing?

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

Butler was already getting paid about $2.1M last season.  He and his agent knows exactly what his stats last year were and will shove that in the face of any perspective suitors.  So if anyone thinks he's going to settle for anywhere in neighborhood $2M-3M range is crazy.  He'll only take that if the market isn't there, but trust me, he will overplay his hand and probably still get some team to bite.

Yep. Happens all the time with younger players that flash in their contract years. "Oh maybe it was the environment! We can get the most out of him!"

The truth is 90+% of the time they are wrong.

8 minutes ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

I haven't really looked at FAs but is there anyone specific as to what you're referencing?

None in particular, but there's a fairly big class of FA DTs.  DJ Reader is a good candidate, so is Sheldon Day.  A cheaper candidate would be Andrew Billings.

Here you go:

2020 FA DTs

4 hours ago, joeyxfresco said:

It’s a contract year

they were not paying this guy fir five years fir him to play one 

mist disengaged player I’ve seen since Sean Gilbert 

Questionable character and all of a sudden ‘it clicks’ during a contract year. And ONLY his contract year.

Other than having the fan favorite title, resigning him is the epitome of what is wrong with this organization.

Constantly signing players to big contracts after a good contract year where somehow it ‘clicks’ at just the right financial time. No love for the game. And so you end up with the whole ‘paying a player for their past’. The Panthers mantra.

Not only does this tell players they’ll be paid if the preform at the right time, and tell that we have serious depth and talent evaluation issues for this not to be a problem. But worst of all it tells everyone mediocrity and low work ethics is acceptable from a high round, high potential draft pick.

No fuging thank you. Let’s have higher standards. He can GTFO.

4 hours ago, rippadonn said:

That's why if one of these rare body types is available you get them. Butler and KK have been teammates and are all that are left of our high draft pick DTs, must keep. Add other guys through the draft and free agency.

6'5" 300+ guys are not a plenty. You need lineman. People talking about run defense aren't also accounting for the injuries in the middle. McCoy wasn't supposed to play so many snaps. Injuries, starting with KK destroyed that unit.

KK checked out before he got paid. He had one great year and hasn’t been worth it sense. It’s there if you want to see it. But yea we’re stuck with him thanks to a genius, classic Panther extension.

Still we AREN'T stuck with Butler and we can use any money come him to support our higher standards of the future and DT of the future. And yea we don’t have poo at DT but there is ZERO reason to sign Butler long term now when you can literally sign an aging FA DT for the same price every single year for the exact same production  instead of getting stuck, once again, with 5 years of deadweight.

Man when we sign someone that don't line up with those that want a ''cheaper FA"' I'm a ctfu. You talk about over-paying Butler, almost any market FA is overpaid, unless we scrape the bottom of the barrel. 

Star - 10M a season to eat up space

Poe - 9M a season to eat up space

If Butlers 2.1M is the ceiling it's gonna be some hurt feelings, in a few weeks. 

Archived