• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

i really don't understand how you can look at what's happened fiscally since 2008 and still believe in things like inflation or classical monetary theory

social security has nothing to do with money and everything to do with politics and people really need to move away from the simple to understand outdated ideas

59 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Very true. In this case though, I think it makes more sense to put that money in unemployment than to just send checks to everyone. The money will go farther.

I can be as greedy a dick as the next person, but this makes the most sense.

First thing they ask at work is "Feeling any symptoms? Have you traveled out of the state?" Guy at work is going to Myrtle Beach this weekend, because "there's stuff to do". He's one of the bosses pets, so it's gonna be interesting on Monday.

lmao it'll go further in unemployment what in the world

people can't fuging pay rent. putting any money behind barriers intentionally designed to make financial aid more difficult to get is just performative cruelty

not to mention then it's held hostage by poo lords like brian kemp who will order people back into the plague 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

17 hours ago, CRA said:

We have 82,000 COVID deaths in a little over 2 months.   

We have no clue what the actual COVID death toll will be.    Second wave easily could be worse than this one (and we aren't through the first wave).   

You can do the math of 1% of 23.5 but there is no actual number to compare it to.   Can compare it to projections.  But projections evolve as the COVID problem evolves.   

Not sure I have seen a lot of projections that really take us past August.  Those generally seem to be in the 180k range.  But we still have the additional fall/winter to factor into those 2020 numbers.  And I don't think they can project that window right now. 

I think we also need to look at that as the first wave in our major urban areas (particularly NYC). The rest of the US, smaller cities and rural areas, have not actually hit their first waves, but are still in the fringe introduction moments of the disease here (except for maybe the outbreaks in meat packing plants which could be the canary in the coal mine moments for rural regions).

We need to look at how influenza spreads from big city hot spots to get a timing/travel rate for the virus into the heartland. There's always a lag, and this one may be longer for COVID-19 than the flu simply because of the lockdowns.

I don't want to see it hit hard again (too many lives have been lost already), but I won't be surprised if you see outbreaks in secondary cities like Omaha, San Antonio, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Charlotte and Memphis, along with a major hit to Las Vegas and Miami as soon as leisure travel kicks back in.

"You've put things in place that I think would optimize your capability of reopening," Fauci told Scott. "I was thinking as you were speaking I'd almost want to clone that, and make sure other people hear about that and see what you've been doing."

Boy there's a lot going on in that phrase

• Pie 1

Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell gave a dire warning Wednesday that the U.S. economy could become stuck in a painful multi-year recession if Congress and the White House do not approve more aid to address the coronavirus pandemic’s economic fallout.

“Additional fiscal support could be costly, but worth it if it helps avoid long-term economic damage and leaves us with a stronger recovery,” Powell said in a videoconference with the Peterson Institute for International Economics.

Powell said that the United States is in the midst of the “biggest shock our economy has felt in modern times” with job losses at levels not seen since the Depression era and the potential for mass waves of business closures and bankruptcies that could diminish growth for years to come.

He said low-income Americans are facing the brunt of this economic crisis and they have the least ability to handle it. Almost 40 percent of U.S. households making less than $40,000 a year lost a job in March, he said, citing results from a Fed survey coming out later this week.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/05/13/fed-powell-coronavirus-recession/

Edited by Paa Langfart

I do not disagree with another stimulus check. However, the Government cannot sustain for months, bleeding out money for that long. The Government is not designed to support the whole country. I also think that throwing money into a problem, is just kicking the can down the road, and not really solving it. 

Edited by Devil Doc
  • Beer 1