• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

22 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Best guess is like the media typically does, they are reporting it not because the risk is high, but because lots of people will read it with the current situation. Having the potential to become a pandemic does not mean likely to become a pandemic would be my guess, giving the media's track record.

They also like to "get it on record" early, so if it becomes something they can pull up their old reporting to say they were on top of it.

• Pie 1

17 hours ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

There is a huge misunderstanding in this thread, on redit, on twitter, etc. that there IS a mass hysteria. There is not. Maybe 1% of people are scared and are locking themselves away. This misunderstanding seems to be the rallying cry for people that argue against the seriousness of this pandemic. As I've said many times in this thread, the far vast majority of people that take COVID seriously are doing so TO PROTECT OTHERS. Not themselves. So there is no need for you to downplay the symptoms as almost everyone knows it's not going to send you to the ER. But by wearing our masks (like you smartly did to see your mom), and social distancing, we can hopefully get things back to normal one day. Sadly, people still don't wear masks. And the multitude of cases are rising all over. And that last line ... wow. You want the young to GET INFECTED. These same ones that might not be as smart as you when visiting their own mom. Herd immunity will not work.

I mentioned in a separate comment that my statement had nothing to do with masks.  Not sure how that was gleaned from what I said.  Regardless, I agree with wearing masks.  I disagree with your assessment that there is not mass hysteria.  It still absolutely dominates the headlines and dominates every single form of social media.  It's absolutely dominating the entirety of American life in general, as a matter of fact.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, stirs said:

Dynamics of an airborne disease and some people do not quite grasp that.  If you breathe, which is to say not being dead, you can get this no matter what you do.  It doesn't just linger in the air of grocery stores, churches, restaurants or bars.  Short of living in an astronaut suit with your own oxygen supply, you have a decent chance of getting this.  I think that's where the mentality is different.   People like the lady in the article thought there would be no way she could get this if she did x,y,z.  When dealing with microscopic particles in the air, you are at risk...period.  You can don PPE all day long and it will reduce the risk, but there is still a risk, none-the-less.  That is the reason analysts keep saying such a high number of people will have or had this by year's end.  Two things will happen: either we will reach effective (not total) heard immunity to the point the viral impact dwindles naturally or we get a vaccine before then.  At this point, it looks like the first scenario may occur.

4 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Dynamics of an airborne disease and some people do not quite grasp that.  If you breathe, which is to say not being dead, you can get this no matter what you do.  It doesn't just linger in the air of grocery stores, churches, restaurants or bars.  Short of living in an astronaut suit with your own oxygen supply, you have a decent chance of getting this.  I think that's where the mentality is different.   People like the lady in the article thought there would be no way she could get this if she did x,y,z.  When dealing with microscopic particles in the air, you are at risk...period.  You can don PPE all day long and it will reduce the risk, but there is still a risk, none-the-less.  That is the reason analysts keep saying such a high number of people will have or had this by year's end.  Two things will happen: either we will reach effective (not total) heard immunity to the point the viral impact dwindles naturally or we get a vaccine before then.  At this point, it looks like the first scenario may occur.

I have worn Delta suits, bubble suits, PAPR's......it ain't that bad 

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

No you can't be completely safe, that is obvious.  It's about reducing the risks.  It's a very simple concept, easy to follow and really not a big deal to put on a mask for 30 mins to an hour while you're shopping.

• Pie 1

24 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

There will be no college FB or NFL this season. If you can get a refund for PSLs you should jump on it. 

I think they will have both just without fans like in Europe.  European soccer restarted a month ago and has been pretty successful.

22 minutes ago, Ja Rhule said:

I think they will have both just without fans like in Europe.  European soccer restarted a month ago and has been pretty successful.

Look at their current case counts versus ours though. Our athletes have a much higher chance of exposure and infection simply because there's a lot more virus in circulation here than there.

• Pie 3

41 minutes ago, Ja Rhule said:

Good point but like LV just said look at the virus climate here compared to Europe. USA has been handling this terribly and we are like 100+ days into this pandemic and it’s not being contained. 

NFL has a better chance than college because You can isolate the pros. In college, these guys are going to have to manage coursework, studying, working out, being in a bubble with an entire university as well as the common challenges of being a college kid like partying, girls, alcohol,!etc. I just don’t see college FB happening. 

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

Good point but like LV just said look at the virus climate here compared to Europe. USA has been handling this terribly and we are like 100+ days into this pandemic and it’s not being contained. 

NFL has a better chance than college because You can isolate the pros. In college, these guys are going to have to manage coursework, studying, working out, being in a bubble with an entire university as well as the common challenges of being a college kid like partying, girls, alcohol,!etc. I just don’t see college FB happening. 

Will be interesting to see.  It would be so much lost revenue it’s almost hard to believe.  So Europe really had no second wave and they just begun to reopen.  I wonder if US will jump ahead of Europe with the second wave.

8 minutes ago, Happy Panther said:

What is interesting is a few states may be recovered enough to start having fans this fall while it looks like others don't have a chance. Giants and Jets maybe. Cardinals hell no.

We're way too interconnected with interstate commerce. That's why we need widespread efforts. Local efforts aren't enough. The vast majority of the cases genetically trace to the original NYC outbreak. Unfortunately, the virus doesn't understand or respect man-made barriers like state lines.