Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

Recommended Posts

I feel like there will be a financial impact to China.  People will initially want to get some sort of payback for their part in this episode.

Will it last?  No, not unless laws are enacted.

We will enact something for drugs being made here, but, will also have to enact something so pricing does not skyrocket.

Without legislation, nobody with good intentions and "Made in America" logos will last long.  People will buy it from lowest seller.

Now, if we continue to buy from them and keep the tariffs in place, they will essentially be funding our government somewhat which might in the end help pay for some of the stuff we are having to shell out currently.  As I am writing this, I am not certain if I have thought it through that clearly so no piling on, haha.

Will be a fine line to walk

Link to post
Share on other sites

Changing subjects again, just a bit.

How will this change education?  Anyone see a day when school, at least for certain grades is totally online?

What changes would it make for budgets?

If schools were at home, it would be well cheaper than running buses, maintaining and building schools, etc, etc.  But, the teachers could be laid off by the thousands and the same broadcasts could be sent to kids in different districts and different states.  Kids would not miss school if they were a bit sick, even weather related closures might mean school goes on anyway.

There are pros and cons to any idea, and I think the social aspects of being with other kids are very good, although the bullying would subside.

School sports would be impacted, how to grade an assess a students aptitude by not having the one on one could be problematic.

But, each child could get a free computer and such easily for the money saved.  School lunch programs are another issue.

 

Anyway, just throwing a couple topics out there for "post corona" America.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Basbear said:

I found out years ago, a person form china could ship a item to a customer cheaper than I could. I like many others want to buy "USA" etc, but using slave labor makes buying Chinese mech so much cheaper. Many times you could buy 4-10 products for one usa one. Plus the magic part is now they are MUCH better at copying the better product, where as before most items where junk. Past time for a need in charge, unless its a specialty item, USA simply can not compete. Need to even up the playing field, but also USA needs to find other ways to "make" it too. Thats a whole another topic. Middle man and consulting is what USA has become, and thats a big joke. 

True story. I have a friend that owns a company that works with large pieces of granite. It is far cheaper for him to import these large pieces of granite from China and ship it to Georgia than it is to buy the same granite from a quarry in West Virginia. He hates it, but he’d be out of business if he didn’t do it.

Also, knowledge work is not a joke. Someday, China’s economic model will be replaced by robotics. Everything will be manufactured in fully autonomous factories strategically placed near population centers to cut down on transport costs.   That would be the case now, but slaves are cheaper than robots at the moment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stirs said:

Now, if we continue to buy from them and keep the tariffs in place, they will essentially be funding our government somewhat which might in the end help pay for some of the stuff we are having to shell out currently. 

Unfortunately, tariffs are paid by the importer not the exporter. China doesn’t pay anything, US companies pay since they are the buyer.

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stirs said:

Changing subjects again, just a bit.

How will this change education?  Anyone see a day when school, at least for certain grades is totally online?

What changes would it make for budgets?

If schools were at home, it would be well cheaper than running buses, maintaining and building schools, etc, etc.  But, the teachers could be laid off by the thousands and the same broadcasts could be sent to kids in different districts and different states.  Kids would not miss school if they were a bit sick, even weather related closures might mean school goes on anyway.

There are pros and cons to any idea, and I think the social aspects of being with other kids are very good, although the bullying would subside.

School sports would be impacted, how to grade an assess a students aptitude by not having the one on one could be problematic.

But, each child could get a free computer and such easily for the money saved.  School lunch programs are another issue.

 

Anyway, just throwing a couple topics out there for "post corona" America.

No.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stirs said:

Changing subjects again, just a bit.

How will this change education?  Anyone see a day when school, at least for certain grades is totally online?

What changes would it make for budgets?

If schools were at home, it would be well cheaper than running buses, maintaining and building schools, etc, etc.  But, the teachers could be laid off by the thousands and the same broadcasts could be sent to kids in different districts and different states.  Kids would not miss school if they were a bit sick, even weather related closures might mean school goes on anyway.

There are pros and cons to any idea, and I think the social aspects of being with other kids are very good, although the bullying would subside.

School sports would be impacted, how to grade an assess a students aptitude by not having the one on one could be problematic.

But, each child could get a free computer and such easily for the money saved.  School lunch programs are another issue.

 

Anyway, just throwing a couple topics out there for "post corona" America.

I think this will only accelerate the adoption of working and educating remotely. There will be some really cool poo on that front that emerges from this IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think this will only accelerate the adoption of working and educating remotely. There will be some really cool poo on that front that emerges from this IMO.

My oldest has her masters in special need education.  (yes I am bragging, very proud)

She is a teacher in Seattle,  we had a long conversation about the challenges she is going through.  There is absolutely no way she could actually do her job remotely. Those kids need the social interaction. 

  • Pie 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ncpantherfan71 said:

My oldest has her masters in special need education.  (yes I am bragging, very proud)

She is a teacher in Seattle,  we had a long conversation about the challenges she is going through.  There is absolutely no way she could actually do her job remotely. Those kids need the social interaction. 

Yeah, there's always going to be a huge need for one on one attention, especially in that area. I just think we can do much better with our current technology connecting people remotely for both education and work.

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Unfortunately, tariffs are paid by the importer not the exporter. China doesn’t pay anything, US companies pay since they are the buyer.

True, but China has had to lower their prices to compensate for the tariffs.  I should have been more clear

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bull123 said:

The idea of no social contact and no interaction with other people is absurd...it would end us

we may have to wait until a vaccine is developed to get back to normal, but we will get back...economically and socially...we are connected and we need each other 

Yep, that is why I said the social aspects of school, beyond bullying, were very good.

Like L George, I don't see it as an all or nothing endeavor.  With so many crises of the past, we learn things when forced into situations.  The question was, how do you think it might change.  We obviously don't want to go backwards.

 

  • Beer 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am surprised nobody said that the online courses, with the better teachers, could not be broadcast within the school classroom.

Maybe certain kind of math teachers, or science teachers are in short supply.  Then take the best in the state, have them teach the lessons, and show it to classes around the state.  No question and answer or individualized attention, but it could be that having the most talented and proven teachers do the lesson, would lessen the need for the extra attention.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...