• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

420k Coloradans have filed initial unemployment claims over the past 7 weeks. That's almost 15% of our total workforce that has lost their jobs in under two months.

420k?

Oh Colorado....even in unemployment you can't get off the weed.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

241 positive cases at work now. Pretty solid. Also, the nasal swab test sucks. They try to scrub your fuging frontal lobe.

I’ve Did that test for the flu once. It sucks. The idea that people and kids are going to do that on a regular basis is unrealistic.

11 hours ago, motocross_cat said:

Working from home will be fine until employers catch on to all the nonsense their employees are doing while they are supposed to be "working".  

I've been killing it working from home, getting so much more done - watching my kids grow and getting poo done around the house.

I have several guys that work for me that aren't doing anything and treating this as a vacation, so now I have to lead by example and get them back in the office. some people just can't do the work from home life.

• Beer 1

How do you get an antibody test? My wife and I were both sick for a week around end of Jan - I tested flu negative. I doubt we had it but I’m still curious. I know several people now who think they had it around then as well. One of my buddies specifically said he lost his taste and smell. 

50 minutes ago, Inimicus said:

We implemented a mandatory WFH policy on the 13th of March.  There have been some bumps, but overall its been such a success last week we implemented a 6 hour day.  Our clients are happy, our people are killing it, no reason to try and force them to sit at a laptop for 8 hours when some of them are now pulling double duty as teachers or daycare - bill 6 hours when you can and call it a day.  Of course client facing meetings happen when the client wants it to but you get the drift.

This is going to permanently change how our org works for the better.

This falls under the "Leave me alone and let me do my job" category. Management cannot understand this concept

6 hours ago, Tbe said:

I’ve Did that test for the flu once. It sucks. The idea that people and kids are going to do that on a regular basis is unrealistic.

Yeah, they are gonna make everyone do this three more fuging times. We took antibody tests too. This is partly to salvage a situation in which a power plant is offline and doesn't have enough people to get it operational again but it's also a local university that is doing the testing, so at some level I feel like this is them improving/testing their process, as well. It's unpleasant but I am generally okay with that. Better testing is a net positive.

The utility is very lucky the local media has not caught wind of all this, considering they have effectively tripled the amount of infections in the entire county in less than two weeks.

The test is unpleasant but we give kids a bunch of shots too. It's just the price of admission. At some point a reliable test needs to be administered that can give more accurate results quickly, however. The lag time in results is a big weakness.

7 hours ago, 4Corners said:

How do you get an antibody test? My wife and I were both sick for a week around end of Jan - I tested flu negative. I doubt we had it but I’m still curious. I know several people now who think they had it around then as well. One of my buddies specifically said he lost his taste and smell. 

Just google it. Local labs are doing it, but you will have to pay for it

6 hours ago, Inimicus said:

Well Im C-Suite so at least some of us get it.

But yes there are far too many people in "leadership positions" that simply don't understand the shifting nature of the what the modern workplace looks like.

I'm certainly not C Suite but I have always had to deal directly with the executives on a daily basis, including being a part of the overall company planning process.  In my head I've divided it between boomers and millennials, to say it plainly.  My generation (X) seems to be a little unpredictable.  But I've got the mindset that as more and more boomers leave the workforce and younger generations take over, we are beginning to shed some of the boomers way of doing business.  And as more and more millennials end up in those positions, the bigger and bigger the changes are going to be.  I guess to oversimplify it, I think of it like this:

Boomers - This is what has been successful, and this is how business is done.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  And we like to be at work just for the sake of being at work.  It shows commitment!  You can have a life when you retire!

Gen X - We need to stay current with the market place, which means we are going to have to change with the times and advance on some things even if we are comfortable with how things are.  Being at work is somewhat important, but we are flexible in what the market is doing and understand people need a work/life balance.

Millennials - Its okay to rethink everything, even if it means being completely ahead of the curve.  Being at work is meaningless.  What matters is if you are getting the work done.

Edited by Wes21

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

The finger prick test?

Yep

Quest $119

Have to visit one of their labs, make appt and pay online, come in with mask, they call your name, get results via internet.

Feel like my wife had it because of her symptoms.  Thinking/hoping I was the asymptomatic carrier where she caught it(something).  I have been in and out and she never left home.

Will advise

Working from home is horrible. It sucks bad. You can never get anything done because you have children running around, and too much noise. I get 3x done at work, than I do at home. Work is a mini vacation to me. However, for some people it is the opposite. I have not been able to do any virtual meetings, because I cannot get the time to be alone, with no noise, completely focused. 

Edited by Devil Doc