• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Strongside end?

AU-panther

Help me out here. 

Who do we have on the roster to play LDE, or strongside end?

We have several guys that can be on the right, or play on passing downs and rush the QB, but who is that strong side end that will be in on first down and running downs? That 280lb guy who is stout against the run and still can get some occasional pressure on the QB.

Is there anyone left in free agency?

What are our options in the draft?  Draft actually seems weak in that regard.

1 minute ago, AU-panther said:

Help me out here. 

Who do we have on the roster to play LDE, or strongside end?

We have several guys that can be on the right, or play on passing downs and rush the QB, but who is that strong side end that will be in on first down and running downs? That 280lb guy who is stout against the run and still can get some occasional pressure on the QB.

Is there anyone left in free agency?

What are our options in the draft?  Draft actually seems weak in that regard.

Looks like Weatherly and Obada will be On the strong side.  Burns Miller on weak side.  But they way this offseason is going who actually knows.  

13 minutes ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

Looks like Weatherly and Obada will be On the strong side.  Burns Miller on weak side.  But they way this offseason is going who actually knows.  

I totally forgot about Obada. I think he will be great with an extended role in the 4-3. 

4 minutes ago, gakonline said:

I totally forgot about Obada. I think he will be great with an extended role in the 4-3. 

That would be awesome, but I think he's currently trending more toward being Ryan Delaire version 2.0. Shows early promise but then a lot of nothing afterward.

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That would be awesome, but I think he's currently trending more toward being Ryan Delaire version 2.0. Shows early promise but then a lot of nothing afterward.

I said the Ryan Delaire thing 2 years ago when ppl were going overboard on Obada..

One of the good things about a new coaching staff is that it's a fresh look at your entire roster.  If Obada is actually good, he'll stick.  If not, he'll go.  The staff has no attachment to him.  Pretty sure that's why Colin Jones walked tbh.

Ryan Delaire take made sense 2yrs ago due to overhype, but Obada is the DL version of Shaq at this pt.

All he has done is play all over the line and done his job. He has been lined up inside, outside, standing, hand in the dirt, whatever and wherever.

Give him consistent snaps at a consistent position. He might not be All Pro, but the dude does make splash plays.

6 minutes ago, stirs said:

He got swallowed up in the run game.  I am not sure he can add 20 lbs and be as quick

His rookie year?? 

How many rookie DE come in to the league and our stout against the run.. Most Rookies aren't strong against the run.. They are facing grown men with no technical advantages.. Give it more then 1 year ...

And he was 250lb last year on a 6'5 frame..

Kalil Mack was smaller on a smaller frame

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/khalil-mack?id=2543463

Now he is 269lb 

http://www.nfl.com/player/khalilmack/2543463/profile

Why is this impossible??

It won't be just adding muscle which most rookies do. Plus he was always rushing the passer with an outside speed rush which often takes you out of the play especially on a run play. We put so.much emphasis on rushing the passer we were fundamentally unsound in our gap control and run fits.

Archived