• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Most 1st Team All-Pros Drafted Since 2000

The Huddler

This is a better metric than that “starters” one. Maybe it was just coaching. I theorize that Hurney was just good at making safe picks, and good at identifying talent at certain positions but awful at others and when he missed he missed BIG (Armanti, Clausen, Silatolu, etc)

I and many others had been saying it for years...  that's what makes Cam and Luke's era so devastatingly hard to accept.  That's a HOFer/generational talent on each side of the ball, and our best run was reaching the Superbowl once and losing.  Teams win every year with a lot less than what we've fielded.

I'd say it also speaks to lack of a solid 53 from top to bottom, but that also goes to coaching because we never developed those guys at the bottom of the roster either.

10 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

This is a better metric than that “starters” one. Maybe it was just coaching. I theorize that Hurney was just good at making safe picks, and good at identifying talent at certain positions but awful at others and when he missed he missed BIG (Armanti, Clausen, Silatolu, etc)

Every GM misses at times, but its obvious Hurney hits on them more than most

10 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

Cant wait for the Hurneg haters to deflect this.  Its all about wins and losses!  Well, not really

I have yet to look it up, but I would suppose most of these are the Hurney's 1st rounders.  His 1st round success was never an issue, it was everything from the 2nd round down where the issues were.  Hard to build a team hitting on 1 player each draft.

8 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

Every GM misses at times, but its obvious Hurney hits on them more than most

I would dispute he hits on more than most. Just like I said, he takes safer picks. He also misses more wildly than most.  But I will certainly admit this makes it look like it was more on coaching. 

31 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

Cant wait for the Hurney haters to deflect this.  Its all about wins and losses!  Well, not really

Great starters, no depth. That is the hallmark of a Hurney team and why his teams haven’t won much. Gettleman, for all his faults, brought in better depth. 

Looks like they shorted us a few players:

Cam Newton
Kawann Short
Thomas Davis
Luke Kuechly
Josh Norman
Ryan Kalil
Christian McCaffrey
Kris Jenkins
Julius Peppers
Steve Smith
Jordan Gross
Deangelo Williams
Jon Beason
Evan Mathis (drafted by Carolina, got the recognition while with NO)
Greg Hardy

15 by my count

Andrew Norwell was not drafted by Carolina (UDFA), but did make an All Pro roster. Olsen & Tolbert were also selected, but were originally drafted by other franchises.

EDIT: Doh, 1st team exclusively. That means no Hardy and no DLo... Did they not include Evan Mathis since he was with the Saints when he got his All Pro nod?

3 minutes ago, Icege said:

Looks like they shorted us a few players:

Cam Newton
Kawann Short
Thomas Davis
Luke Kuechly
Josh Norman
Ryan Kalil
Christian McCaffrey
Kris Jenkins
Julius Peppers
Steve Smith
Jordan Gross
Deangelo Williams
Jon Beason
Evan Mathis (drafted by Carolina, got the recognition while with NO)
Greg Hardy

15 by my count

Andrew Norwell was not drafted by Carolina (UDFA), but did make an All Pro roster. Olsen & Tolbert were also selected, but were originally drafted by other franchises.

1st team all pro... 

Archived