• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If Bridgwater is anythign less than elite, the front office screwed up

AU-panther

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Bridgewater is not elite but can be successful if he gets a little more aggressive with pushing the ball downfield.  In fact because of the offensive scheme and weapons around him I wouldn't be surprised if he puts up better numbers compared to the elite QB we just let go (OL dependent).

Also, after looking into the Saints/LSU offense I can safely say that Michael Thomas is severely overrated and how the Saints use him is exactly how DJ Moore should be used going forward.

I don't think Teddy is as afraid to throw down field as people believe. It seems like it's more the offense he was in instead of any major flaws with his game.

Every keeps throwing that Average Depth of throw Through Air advanced stat (or whatever it's called around) to show he doesn't throw deep, but Drew Brees was very similar. I honestly don't know how valid the stat even is in really judging a QB.

You look at the stat for all QBs for last season, and one thing that immediatly jumps out is how the difference in the stat has no bearing on the quality of the QB. The 2nd thing that jumped out is how similar QBs on the same team end up being for the most part. Stafford and Blough were incredibly similar in the stat, but I don't think that anyone's arguing they're similar QBs. You also could see guys like Mahomes not at the top either. You also had guys near the bottom considered pretty good, if not elite QBs that were near the bottom.

I honestly think the stat felt way more about the offense than the QB, but we've been using it to say a QB like Bridgewater is bad and doesn't throw down field.

The bad part of it is that it started in 2017, so we can't go back to when Teddy was with the Vikings and see how much difference there is.

Don't get me wrong, I like TB and I really hope he plays well.

My best case scenario is that he plays well enough that we don't draft a QB next year. 

If you want to define that level of play as elite, franchise or very good I really don't care, but if he doesn't play well enough, and we draft a guy in the top 10 next year then we overpaid for a bridge QB in my opinion.

Doesn't really matter how much he is making relative to other starting QBs, Dalton could miss the playoffs and keep a seat warm for a lot less.

31 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Don't get me wrong, I like TB and I really hope he plays well.

My best case scenario is that he plays well enough that we don't draft a QB next year. 

If you want to define that level of play as elite, franchise or very good I really don't care, but if he doesn't play well enough, and we draft a guy in the top 10 next year then we overpaid for a bridge QB in my opinion.

Doesn't really matter how much he is making relative to other starting QBs, Dalton could miss the playoffs and keep a seat warm for a lot less.

If you draft a QB in the draft you still only have Teddy for 2 years while the QB is on a rookie contract, so it still works out. I would understand the concern if the contract was longer, but not at "worst paid (none rookie) starter in the league" money.

So, from this: If Bridgwater is anythign less than elite, the front office screwed up

to this:

32 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

The next clarification will be that if Bridgewater is not still breathing at the end of the year, it will have been an awful deal. 

I don't know what the salary cap rules are if he is not still breathing at the end of the year, but that may be cap-neutral, as well.

5 hours ago, Madwolf said:

If you draft a QB in the draft you still only have Teddy for 2 years while the QB is on a rookie contract, so it still works out. I would understand the concern if the contract was longer, but not at "worst paid (none rookie) starter in the league" money.

If Teddy is playing well why would you draft a QB, wouldn't you give TB an extension?

5 hours ago, Sgt Schultz said:

So, from this: If Bridgwater is anythign less than elite, the front office screwed up

to this:

The next clarification will be that if Bridgewater is not still breathing at the end of the year, it will have been an awful deal. 

I don't know what the salary cap rules are if he is not still breathing at the end of the year, but that may be cap-neutral, as well.

I guess it depends on what your definition of elite is.  Top 3 QBs in the league? Top 5?  Top 10? Was Cam elite?

What if we use the term "franchise QB?  Does that make people happier?

Would it be top 3? top 5? top 10?

How about this, if he is bad enough that we feel the need to draft a QB in the first round next year then we overpaid for a bridge QB.  That shouldn't be too hard for people to understand.  

Considering we are in rebuild and there were not a ton of quality quarterbacks available, I think we got Teddy Bridgewater at the right price. He should be a keeper for at least two or three more years, even if he becomes a backup or eventual trade bait

1 hour ago, AU-panther said:

If Teddy is playing well why would you draft a QB, wouldn't you give TB an extension?

I guess it depends on what your definition of elite is.  Top 3 QBs in the league? Top 5?  Top 10? Was Cam elite?

What if we use the term "franchise QB?  Does that make people happier?

Would it be top 3? top 5? top 10?

How about this, if he is bad enough that we feel the need to draft a QB in the first round next year then we overpaid for a bridge QB.  That shouldn't be too hard for people to understand.  

What you seem to be missing is the ignorant masses that have voiced disagreement aren't doing so because we don't understand your point.  You can stop rephrasing the same point and assuming this time, the morons on this board will see the light.  We already get it.  We just don't agree with it, given the market realities of NFL QBs.

43 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

What you seem to be missing is the ignorant masses that have voiced disagreement aren't doing so because we don't understand your point.  You can stop rephrasing the same point and assuming this time, the morons on this board will see the light.  We already get it.  We just don't agree with it, given the market realities of NFL QBs.

So what you are saying is that you are perfectly happy with $20m a year for average? because that is what the market price is? got it

Archived