• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So what’s going to happen if a player tests positive during “season”

LegioX

25 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Oh yeah, I NEVER watch UFC events in public. That's a sure fire way to lose whatever little hope for humanity you may have.

Off topic, but I lived in Birkdale Village before moving to CO. We lived in one of the end unit townhouses on Camden Hollow. Super easy walk down to everything. I honestly don't think I ever went to the Fox and Hound. I always went to Brixx. They had a great tap selection and some screaming happy hour deals. But I'm talking 13 years ago.

We probably ran in to each other. I used to be a Cornelius/Huntersville bar rat, but I don’t drink that much any more and I am no longer single and chasing cougars in birkdale. Kilted Buffalo, Fox, Galloway, and of course the Rusty Sludder (RIP) were my stomping grounds. I think the first UFC card I watched was at Fox and it was disgusting. 

18 hours ago, ickmule said:

Let’s just shut it all down now and forget the season while we wait for a vaccine that will never happen. There has never been an effective vaccine for any RNA virus and this one will be no different.  As for a second wave, this could be the second wave....an 82 year old associate I work with was just told this week that her sickness from mid December was Covid 19 as her tests for antibodies came back positive.  This thing has been floating around in the country for more than 6 months.  

My wife swears she had it around Christmas. Had all the symptoms of Covid and then developed a sinus infection. Took weeks to recover.  I never got sick but had the first headache I can remember in years. It would be great to know I had antibodies and couldn't get or spread it but could help give plasma.  

1 hour ago, panthers55 said:

My wife swears she had it around Christmas. Had all the symptoms of Covid and then developed a sinus infection. Took weeks to recover.  I never got sick but had the first headache I can remember in years. It would be great to know I had antibodies and couldn't get or spread it but could help give plasma.  

Could very well have.  The person I mentioned in my original post took almost 4 months to fully recover, but she is elderly.   

9 hours ago, WarHeel said:

I’m not an expert on what goes on behind the scenes in professional MMA but I do know there’s probably not a sport that puts two athletes in closer proximity to one another and although there are only 2 athletes competing there are dozens of folks behind the scenes in their camp, production, etc. It’s just as risky if not more and the show goes on in May. We still have a couple months before the NFL kicks off so any notion of the entire season being shut down is a bit premature.

I am a huge MMA fan and I am strongly against the UFC holding events right now, but not due to the risk of spreading the virus as much as how many tests they are wasting on presumably healthy people so they can have fights when there are sick people and healthcare workers who can't get tests right now.

But I can unequivocally say that the risks in regards to spreading the virus is incalculably higher for the NFL than it is for MMA.

Yes, you're right, it's only 2 people fighting and there are more behind the scenes people and those who train with them.  But fighters are training with no more than a dozen other people right now, there are 53 players on each football team, and then dozens of coaches, trainers, and equipment staff on top of that who are 100% a necessity to put on a game.

In MMA you fight once and then don't fight again for many months, so if a fighter unfortunately caught the virus in a fight, it's well outside of the 2 week incubation period of the virus and it would obviously be detected well before they fight again.

In football, if the virus is spread around in a given game, the players could play 2 more games before any symptoms are seen.  And yes, they'll be tested during that time, but they can still pass the virus before they test positive, so if it takes 10 days to test positive, they can still pass the virus around in the game before they test positive and are quarantined.

There is no sport I love more than the NFL, but I have a very hard time seeing how they're going to be able pull of a season this fall.

The NBA will have a much better chance of playing with such smaller rosters and limited staff needed to put on a game compared to an NFL game.  Just the equipment staff alone for each team is likely more people than each NBA team would need to put on a game.

The #1 thing that would be needed is enough tests to test everyone involved with the team every day (and not be taking those tests away from sick people and medical workers who need the tests more than presumably healthy people).

The #2 thing, and almost more important, is they need a 100% independent team running the tests as I'd have a hard time seeing teams not trying to cover up positive tests of star players, particularly QB's, and particularly in big games, so they don't have to sit them.

I lean on the side of caution in this situation.

I'm very sorry to my fellow fans, but I don't see how this season is saved.  I'm reasonably certain the NHL and NBA seasons for this year are done too.

Too much could go wrong, there's not enough of a safeguard available yet, and I would rather we have the best chance of fighting this possible rather than just blindly march back into the mindset of "well, the worst is over" and hope for the best.

Besides, new complications and mutations seem to be arising from this virus and as much as I like sports, I think it's too dangerous to allow entertainment to take place without a vaccine.  Even then, as I understand it, multiple vaccines are likely necessary.

8 hours ago, Wyank said:

Still can't compare the two.  Much easier to postpone a match and/or find replacement fighters for a scheduled fight night.  How you going to handle one team in quarantine?  The show goes on in May because it's 1 vs 1 and not a team sport.

Health risks aside you underestimate the power of the mighty dollar. They’ll find a way. 

2 hours ago, WarHeel said:

Health risks aside you underestimate the power of the mighty dollar. They’ll find a way. 

I think they will try to make a season work.  I'm not sure it will last a whole season. 

Archived