• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton "Nobody Called Me....They Sent a Text"

PantherBoy95

1 hour ago, PantherBoy95 said:

One thing that Cam did not mention in the interview when it came to not being picked up was money.  Which makes me wonder just how willing he was to not accept a lucrative deal to sign with a team.  It wouldn't surprise me if he wanted upper tier money, but then when the Patriots called specifically he decided it could prolong his career and get him that huge deal the next year.

Cam also did not mention if he would have played a one year prove it deal to stay in Charlotte?  It is still very possible he wanted a longer term contract etc and that was the hesitation by the Panthers; BUT if the one year prove it deal could have happened in Charlotte... it should have.  

Also, an interesting take I read somewhere was how Cam's loyalty and not holding out several years ago for a big contract could have also hurt him as it related to him staying in NC.  Basically, if had a long term deal the cap cost most likely would have been to big to simply cut Cam like they did; but since there was huge cap it.. made the decision much easier. 

6 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

How about those first two years?  What did they say?  With Hurney remaining as GM?  

Got to be realistic. People loved JR for over 2 decades. But the new owner is getting more poo in two years than JR got in 20. Why? Because Cam fans are mad.

In reality, he came in and observed, realized what he had and started making changes. Things take time. Can’t imagine judging an owner after two years. In a lot of ways he’s strapped including now. He has more dead money than any other owner.

In 5 years I think we can look back and get a reasonable assessment of how things are turning out. But the knee jerk reaction/instant gratification crowds think they have all the information to know things and know them now.

Logically it just doesn’t make any sense.

As far as retaining Hurney that’s really the only issue I’ve seen. Maybe Hurney was chained to JR, it was pretty obvious. Maybe Tepper allows more collaboration with the HC on picks, again this is pretty obvious too. Maybe these things matter...only time will tell.

Point is, probably best to say we don’t know and let the plan play out and have evidence before actually claiming it isn’t working out instead of flaming with emotions because you’re creepily too attached to a single player.

i think its hilarious that after he made a video screaming about a commitment they broke up with him thru text.  should not have taken negotiations public.   that's what happens when you act like that in a business.  its perfect and hilarious.    still may work out better for cam, and probably will, than for us - but thems the breaks

Didn't we hire a new team of people for handling these types situations after the Smitty/D.Will offseasons?

I remember we were talked about as a bad organization after we did the same thing to 2 of our best players in franchise history - in back to back offseasons - and were brought people in to tell us how not to be d!cks to our franchise players when we move on from them.. guess they left with JR..?

It shouldn't be hard to take the high road and give Cam a hero's sendoff even if you feel like he slighted you. He has done so much for the franchise, city, etc. Lots and lots of $$$ for ownership too.. sheesh

I never saw any real evidence that he would not have played out his final year contract with us. And we should have let him do that. Could have cut him anytime. And he could be an mvp again.

Whole thing feels dirty to me. I hope the Panthers return to winning soon but I will be rooting for Cam to destroy it.

4 hours ago, PantherBoy95 said:

Yeah, yeah I know, I know "Another Cam Thread"...you clicked on it lol.

Point being, this is VERY much worth the watch, if it's a topic you're interested in.
Even if you're not, it's a cool conversation, very much like LeBron's 'The Shop'
He definitely let you in on how it went down and his mentality throughout his time in Carolina as far as dedicating himself to the organization.

https://twitter.com/OnePantherPlace/status/1282884225507753985?s=20

LOL

Jake Delhomme gets multiple phone calls and a huge press conference where both he and coaches along with the front office is sobbing. 

Cam Newton gets a text.

Not hard to read between the lines here and to also see why many here aren't backing Cam and not noticing how terrible this organization handled the situation.

1 minute ago, KillerKat said:

Jake Delhomme gets multiple phone calls and a huge press conference where both he and coaches along with the front office is sobbing. 

Cam Newton gets a text.

Not hard to read between the lines here and to also see why many here aren't backing Cam and not noticing how terrible this organization handled the situation.

While I can respect this; and acknowledge that racism (assuming this is your point) plays a role in what Cam endures...

Jake was at a different point in his career, he seemingly was headed to retirement (in my eyes at least) and was a shell of his former self.  I'm not so sure Cam would've had the same type of going away conference haha.  I could see him up there looking pissed.  Probably best that he put out any closing statement the way HE wanted to.

Archived